OIL Tag, pass or shoot?

Wantabee

So with a OIL moose tag for Utah, would you pass or shoot on each of these bulls?

9933prms3423.jpg

5927prms3716.jpg

35821031228.jpg

4228prms3568.jpg

9371prms3648.jpg

8396img5231.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-16 AT 01:23PM (MST)[p]The 9-27 picture is a very good bull for Utah. You don't see many like him anymore.

Sorry, it was the 9-13 pic.

I think we can all agree that the next to last is a shooter. I can't tell because of the trees, but I think the last one would also be in trouble, where I toting the tag.
I'm a sucker for long points even though they don't help score, etc.
Almost all western states have declining Moose herds and the quality is falling as well.

the bull in the fifth picture? Hell yes!! The others would depend on what I'd been seeing, except for the bull facing head on in the dark looks like he might be worth a first day look as well.

I agree with the sentiments of the other posters. I know at least 2 of them have shot whopper bulls so their opinions are of great value!
Certainly a couple would be ventilated with an arrow!!!! ....if it were my tag.
Zeke

Thanks guys. I enjoy getting others opinions. I know it is harder with the tag in hand on what to pass or shoot. Especially on a Utah OIL tag, likely to never hunt moose again.

any, not going to pass on an animal if its a OIL tag.

If I had shot a shiras in a different state already then yes I would try for a bigger one. Hasn't happened though so they'd all be fair game.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

8096moosepicresize.jpg

This is the bull I ended up shooting, he is the bull in the 5th picture. It took me a couple days to find and get him on the ground. I am very happy and surprised still that I was able to get such a great bull.

>Wantabee,
>That is a way above average
>bull in any state!
>
>Congratulations on a fine trophy.

I'll second that!
Zeke

One of the best utah moose I've ever seen. The kill pic you posted doesn't do this animal justice. Bomber bull

Awesome bull and you picked the best one. Put a smile on my face as I think about the one I got in 2009 with my bow. Great eating!

Yep, top-tier Shiras moose anywhere, anytime!!!
Fine looking mount too. You should be proud.
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom