Ol' Pal a good dog

Stonefly

Very Active Member
Today I am so mad I can hardly write this thread. Last night my wife and I took our son shopping for his birthday, that is today. When we got to the store the first thing on his mind was to buy dog food for his choc. lab Pal. After he had that, we were allowed to take him shopping for his birthday present. When we got home the neighbor came and got us . She said that Pal had been mauled by 3 german sheperds and the vet had came out 25 miles to work on him, and that they were in her kitchen. My son Ran the 1/2 mile to there home and after 2 hours with the vet brought Pal home. The dog looked terrible.When I woke up this morning to make my son a special birthday breakfast ,Pal had died on the bed my son had made for him on the floor next to his own bed. What a SH@#$TTY birthday.Now here is the question I ask all of you folks. First you should know that this is not the first time these dogs have caused trouble.This is the 3rd incident with them in 2 years I am aware of. We live in an extreamly rural area in sanpete county. The sheriff was called at least 1 of the other times and from what I was told they could do nothing about the problem as the witness (who is 72 years old) was to imtimidated to go to court. Well a few of you know me and know I do not imtimidate. If you were me how would you handle this problem now we have lost not just a dog but our hunting companion,we have a 400.00 dollar bill from the vet..... Would like some suggestions from fellow hunters.

sorry to hear about that. time to set some traps..

my neighbor use to have a big ol lab and he would come over and tear my black lab up. over and over. so i told the neighbor of the problem. he said his dog is free to roam where ever. so i said i am free to start trapping around the house. well i caught the s-o-b. the neighbor got mad and called the sheriff.. the sheriff took my side. next time i promised the neighbor the gun is the next option. his dog was also extremly aggressive with me..

There is no doubt some DNA from the attacking dogs on PAL, but the prosecutor is not going to be allowed to spend the funds it would take to go that route. The witness' testimony could probably be taken via an affidavit and it may be that it would be sufficient. I don't know the laws in your state relative to animals on your property. I had a neighbor dog coming over at night, got into the coop and killed all of my chickens, ducks and one turkey. I set a few snares and his marauding days are over. On your shoes, if the dogs come over regularly, I'd quietly eliminate them. Don't use poison, it is too non discriminatory. If going the route of traps/snares, you will need to gang set to try to get the whole "pack" in one shot.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-12 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]Are these stray dogs or do they have owners? If they're strays then shoot the SOB's if they continue to visit your property. If they have owners take them to small claims court to recoup the $400 vet bill.
Sorry for the loss of Pal. We once lost our pet dog because of a mauling and know how you and your boy feel.

Eldorado

do it so it does not cause you trouble. kill the sobs, and whip the azz who owens them '

I have a large live trap used for coyotes. It cost me $200.00 at Cal-Ranch and I've caught several neighborhood problem dogs in it. Those dogs quietly disappeared with nobody knowing what happened. No more problem dogs, no problems with the neighbors and bad dog problem solved.
I also like the snare trap as stated above. Probably much cheaper than my live trap.
Here's the bigger problem that has not been mentioned yet. Those dogs are getting out and acting as a killer pack. They pose problems to local wildlife, farm animals and humans, namely children. When your son ran over to the neighbors house, whose to say that those dogs weren't still out roaming around and could have taken after your son? Thank God nothing like that happened, but it very well could and those dogs should be eliminated.
I have a buddy who owned 3 dogs in his fenced yard who killed several cats and a small dog in his yard. He was concerned but when his dogs got out of his yard and went to a neighbors yard and killed thier cat he took care of the problem himmself. He reluctantly took his pets out and put a bullet in each one of them. His way of thinking was that a little kid could walk down the street and his three dogs might get out of the fence and hurt or kill that kid. I feel like he was a responsible dog owner and took care of HIS problem before they did huge irreversible damage. And if I was in his place I would've done the same thing. fatrooster.

See if you can make a case against the owner(s) and if they don't co-operate take them to small claims court and recoupe your vet loss at least. An owner is responsible for damage his dog causes.

If not, just kill them.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-12 AT 05:24PM (MST)[p]In the state of utah you have the right to protect yourself and your property, your dog is your property. I was told this by an animal control officer after an incident with a former neighbors Rotwielers. Right or wrong, my thought was I should have shot those S.O.B.'s. IF you live in a rural area don't hesitate do what you have to.

This is what i would do... You say you live in a rural area so when those dogs come back around wip out the 22 and pop those muf's right between the eyes!!! That really pisses me off

Dogs allowed to run free will pack up and get very aggressive. These dogs are obviously a problem, and should be shot on sight.

If the owner cannot control them (or refuses to do so), they lose their right to protect them. Next thing you know, if they go unchecked, they will start killing stock.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

Too bad the dogs will eventually pay for their owner's ignorance and apathy.Most dogs will do what they are allowed to do by their owners.Also,most are trainable!

Sounds to me like their owner may be the one that needs the bullet.

What you do is: Go to the local auction or look in the local paper. Get a goat or sheep...you can usually find someone trying to give one away, tie it up in your yard....when those dogs attack the animal....you are allowed by law to shoot them. Sorry to hear about your sons dog.

Well my family and the people who tried to help our dog talked to the sheriff (Tyler Johnson, Sanpete county ) we were told he would come here and take the witnesses to identify the dogs TODAY. He called one witness at 11:00 this morning and he told her he "would be up sometime this afternoon. Its now 5:45 pm and we called the dispatcher and were told (deputy Tyler Johnson) had gone home for the night. The mauling happened Saturday its now Tuesday and the Sheriff hasn't even talked to the dogs owners that we are aware of.

If the police have been notified in the past and the dogs have continued to be a nuisance, most lawyers in the country could prove negligence on the owner's fault. If you are willing to press charges and pursue legal means, then the dogs owners could be held liable in a court of law. The key word being "negligence". If the dogs have been known to repeatedly cause trouble and there is documented evidence with witnesses, then you would most likely be backed up by the judicial system. I personally would talk to the neighbors first about the vet costs and replacement of the pet. If they are unwilling to deal with that, then contact an attorney and file a lawsuit against the dog owners.

Responsible dog owners wouldn't have let this happen. If it did, responsible owners would've remedied the problem after the first time.... You're not dealing with responsible owners, call the sheriff in the morning and if still nothing SSS....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Take the owners to small claims court for the vet bill and the "value" of the dog that died. i.e. a well trained lab is worth say $2,500, and the vet bill is $400. Call it $3,000 just to have a nice round number. If they don't show up to court the judge will most likely put a judgement on them, which if they don't respond to will result in an eventual warrant for their arrest. In order to get the can kicked that far down the road you will have to keep working through the justice system. Will probably take 6 months to a year.

Meanwhile everytime, and I mean everytime you see these dogs running around unattended you have to call the police. You need to have it documented how often you call the police, and how often the dogs are running around without their owner. That way you are justified in shooting the damn things when they come on your property. You cannot do anything to them unless they are on your property, but once they have crossed the fence it is trespassing and you can do whatever you need to protect your property.

I am sorry for you and your son. In my opinion it's best to exhaust all the legal channels. This is an opportunity for you to teach your son about taking the hire road. Not hard to show a dog is worth a couple grand.

Around here if you call animal control on a dog that's roaming off property they charge you more each time to get it back. One of our neighbors just paid $350 to get there dog out.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-12 AT 03:55PM (MST)[p]Where do you live in Sanpete? I believe all towns in the county have leash laws. If the dogs are constantly on the run call animal control. Was your dog on your property when this happened?

You need to call the dog's owner and tell them what happened. Make them pay for the vet bill. Also, follow up with the Sheriff and see whats going on.

I hear Gorilla glue will kill dogs that eat it in fresh hamburger.
I guess it hardens up and they can't $hit it out or something.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Where I live free ranging dogs are shot on sight. Be careful, in a small town there is no need to make enemies if at all possible. At close range a .22LR head shot will solve your problem, throw the cull down in the bottom of some brushy draw and repeat the process as needed. I feel terrible for your son, a new pup and a little time should help heal his broken heart. You Dad will feel much better when you kill the last of the Culls that did this. It would be great if the Law could help, but it won't. Take my advise and you'll be glad you did.

Buy an Anatolian Shepherd. My neighbor had a problem with dog packs killing his goats and one of his dogs. He now has 2 Anatolian shepherds.

No more stray dog problem and they kill 1 or 2 yotes every month.

Did the dogs come on your property? If so, I would make them disappear.

-John Wayne

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom