Old wounds

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
My wife killed a bull this year in Utah on the LE muzzy hunt. We quartered the bull and took as much scrap meat as possible. My son was cutting chunks of neck meat off when he said, hey dad, I found a slug from one of Moms shots. She had hit the bull twice. He handed me the slug and I knew right away it was not a muzzy slug. It was definitely a smaller caliber rifle bullet that had not expanded. It weighed approximately 140 grains. It also looked like the bullet had been there for a while and had actually healed around the bullet.

I‘ve heard of hunters finding projectiles, broad heads, broken tines, etc…in their animals but this was a first for me. Just curious on how many other hunters have found anything while taking care of their kill?

IMG_3275.jpeg

I shot a cow elk that had a 25 caliber bullet lodged on the inside of a hind quarter. It was an old wound and had scar tissue grown around the bullet.

Nice Bull!

That's A PERFECT Example Of A LONG RANGER Shooting Way Further Than They Should Have!

'I Can Hit It!'

'I Can Shoot That Far!'

Ya!

But With No Energy Left At That Range,Can You Kill It?

Or Just Wound Another Animal?

Back Before SmokePoles Became Rifles I Found A Few Round Balls Just Through The Hide On A Few Elk That Had Flattened Out/Pancaked & Didn't Penetrate!

A Couple Years Ago I Ran In To A Guy I Know That Had Shot A Buck With His NEED-MORE That Year!

He Luckily Ended Up Finding The Buck about 2 Miles From Where He'd Shot The Buck,Luckily!

He Was PROUD As Hell!

He Recovered The Bullet!

The Tip Of The Bullet Was Slightly Bent,ZERO Expansion & It's Weight was The Same As The Day It Was Made!

But Quick To BRAGG He'd Hit The Buck At A Ridiculous Range!

If You Don't Mind Us Asking?

Which Unit Was Your Wife Hunting & What Else Did You See On The Unit?

Nice Job There To Your Wife & Family!

There was a thread in this awhile back…. One of my best bucks had a piece of arrow shaft in his backstrap. My boy got a nice bull with a bullet in his neck. His opposite antler was deformed.

I’ve found broadheads in the chest cavity, old buckshot, but the worst was the deer that had birdshot all in the meat and even some lodged in the skull, all perfectly healed.

That is a nice bull congratulations to your wife.I killed a spike elk on the muzzy hunt this year and it had a wound on its hind leg.It looked to be a stab wound and it had a small amount of what looked to be puss on it,When we cut the meat up, we could not even find were the puncture was!

I got this bull a while back, it had a 223 in his sinus cavity. It appeared normal from the outside, but found a crazy amount of scar tissue and spots where the infection had eaten away bone.
20170930_165934.jpg

My cousin found a broadhead in the front shoulder of his Book Cliffs buck in 2021.

In 2016, during the Muzzy Deer in the Book Cliffs, Dad and I stopped to look at a 3 point buck about 20 yards off the road. The buck had an entire arrow sticking straight out the front of his face, broadhead was lodged between the eye and the bridge of the nose. Buck took off and you would have never known he had any issue.

Just skinned a buck a couple days that had about a 2-3 inch tip of a tine broken off into its rear quarter from the rut.

You can't imagine what I have found lodged in capes and skulls over the years. Antler tips, old bullets, broadheads and mountain lion teeth several times. Oh yeah and numerous animals with birdshot lodged in the skin.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom