Omega moose

sheephunter

If you want to see what an Omega does to a moose, check out The Outdoor Quest on The Outdoor Channel on Thursday evening or Saturday morning. Sandi really does a number on a northern Alberta bull. I only got to do the editing on this program but this shot still blows me away.

sheephunter: The Omega didn't do it, the bullet/powder charge and shot placement is what did it. Any rifle loaded with the wame bullet/powder charge, and the same shot placement would have produced the same result. Hate to get technical, but!

You make a good point bluelk and I guess there were just enough people on here asking about Omegas, that I thought I'd share a little field experience with them.

If you really want to get technical, however, that same load and bullet may very well not have produced the same result from any rifle and I'm surprised you said that. It's been my experience that each rifle shoots a particular load and bullet combination better than others. When you get a new muzzleloader, it's important to try different charges and bullets to see which one your guns shoots best. In the case of this moose, Sandi had done all of her homework with different loads to determine this was indeed the best load for that Omega. Just throwing the same load in another rifle and thinking it would perform the same would be irresponsible.

I hate to get technical but............

Blue elk I'm amazed at your reply! Your hatred of T/C products is clouding your good judgement. I just got done reading all of your 101 chapters and they were very good reading. In them you stress the importance of working up a proper load/bullet combination for each ML. Now you are saying all that in the in the chapters is a load hog wash? That you can throw any load in any gun and get the same results? And to be technical that load of powder and bullet aren't going anywhere without a barrel to focus and direct the energy. Some barrels do a better job of that than others. Because this lady choose an Omega and you shot something else are personal choices that we enjoy here in the land of the free.
The show sounds cool, I'll watch for it.
Tanya

I think Bluelk was just trying to say that any muzzleloader, whether it be a T/C, Knight, White, A&H, Remington, etc. with a a roughly equivalent powder charge and bullet combination as that used in the Omega in question, can kill a moose given proper shot placement.

Horniac

Sheephunter,
I looked thru the channel preview this morning and could not find anything called Outdoor "Quest". I tried both OLN and the other one, still come up with nothing.

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom