On a mission

D

desertbull

Since I struck out this years AZ drawing, I am on a mission to take my first bear. I have already recieved some good help from Happyhunter (thanks) and we are going hunting in unit 22 in September. Unit 27 opens earlier and I am going to give that try also. Now, should I hunt the pines in first week, or will there be bears down in the cactus that early? Around here, the pears don't ripen till September. Just looking for some advice as all of my other bear hunting adventures have been fun, but unproductive.

Thanks
Jeff

how're you gonna hunt? i'd try a jackrabbit call in a big canyon. there are bears everywhere in 27. glassing can work. walk off in the bear wallow wilderness from the top and get in a big canyon and call till yer lips are blue. glass while the numbness goes away. lotsa bears there.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-03 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]I was there 3 days ago. It does not look like the big oaks above 7000 foot will be in by August which sucks. Maybe they will be ready by the October season. The pears are just now starting to turn pink in some lower areas and they might be ready by August. The Blue oaks in the middle areas are loaded with unripe acorns and they should be ready with a little luck by August. I am going to look in the Blue oaks first and if that doesn't work I will relocate elsewhere. There are fires burning all over the unit from Hannagan Meadow all the way to the NM line. They even have Hwy 191 closed right now and some other FS roads closed.

Bret M.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom