On X Maps

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
I have a membership, but I can't seem to figure out the best way to tell if public land is landlocked or if there is access to it. For instance, I have access to private land that leads to some public in Utah. The landowner says it's not a public right-a-way, but I have had several people say that it is and they don't bother getting permission.

Also, I would like to feel more comfortable navigating Wyoming which has a lot more private land. I have messed around with the different layers on the map and it seems a little confusing. Any pointers?

If you are in Utah, and said land is not developed or posted feel free to treat it as your own until asked to do other wise.

For old school hunters thinking about getting On X I would recommend not getting it.

It will mess up your peace of mind hunting places you have hunted for generations in good honest to God ignorance.

Not kidding.

Anyone that is wanting to find info on who owns what and protect yourself from further hassle about trespassing and such GET ONX!

if you have permission to the private that is surrounding the public then to YOU it isn't land locked but to the landowner who says it isn't a public right of way he is correct he doesn't have to give permission to have people go through his land to the public but he can if he so pleases.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-19 AT 07:02PM (MST)[p]In Utah, if it's not gated and the road goes to public land, go for it.

In Utah if it's not posted where the road crosses the private line, go for it.

If it's a public access road to public and it's still posted but not gated, go for it.

If it's locked and gated, and it is a public access road to public lands, pull out the grinder.

Many many many roads in this state go through private that lead to public lands. Many of these private lands are posted properly, yet you can still use this road to go through the property to access YOUR land. Don?t let a no trespassing sign scare you from accessing your land in Utah. This isn't Montana, Colorado or Wyoming. It's utah and we have a different set of rules here that benefits all public land users

@screaminseagull

I know exactly what you mean Castnshoot. I figured there would be a lot of different opinions on this. Hope I can sort through it when I draw Antelope in Wyoming.

In Wyoming the land owner does not need to post his land as private. Only county and state roads can assure you access to public lands. A road with many houses on it can be private and prevent you from accessing public lands. Sometimes it can be tricky. I spoke with a game warden while on a road like that. Several people were hunting it. I sat at the bottom of this road waiting for someone to come by so I could ask what the deal was. The first 200 yards of this road crossed private. A guy came along and said everyone uses it. So while up this road I ran into the game warden. He said he could not tell me it was ok to be on that road and if the land owner complained he would have to issue citations. We killed a buck on public land and had a annoyed land owner come out and question how we got back there. I'll bet that road has a no trespassing sign now. I like the way it is done in Utah. If a guy uses a little common sense he shouldn't get into any trouble.

>Doesn't Wyoming have a lot of
>public land to navigate so
>you feel comfortable?

They do. But there is a direct ratio to private land and number of points it takes to draw a unit. With onx a guy can hunt more often so long as he is comfortable navigating private/public land

Every state is different,,as it should be.
Arizona and Utah are pretty similar.

Do not count on On x being correct, I say this because on a piece of property I have it show the lines are off a little off. It is in my favor so no big deal.

In Colorado the land owner does not need to post his land as private it's up to the hunter to know if it's private or public land. That's were On x maps for me comes in handy I figure they don't have to be spot on just close
Also helps if you're using it with garmin base camp for scouting and to find private property boundaries before a hunt

All the UT counties road departments I have hunted near have been great about providing shape files or KMZ files with road easements showing public verse private. Might be worth a phone call to the county, they are great folks from past experience.

All "right of ways" across Private property are recorded with the respective county or city government. The only way to verify if a right of way was recorded is if you verify through that source. It is public information that you can access for free in utah.

So how does the private property overlay work with onxmaps I can't pull it up on my cell.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-19 AT 03:27PM (MST)[p]It won't show unless you buy it, but you can get it for free for seven days to try it out.

Warning you my wish you hadn't.

>So how does the private property
>overlay work with onxmaps I
>can't pull it up on
>my cell.
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I have the onX chip in my GPS and also updated to the phone app when I updated my chip for this year so I have it on both devices. Reach out to them they are very helpful

I brought the all state package this year do to hunting in 3 or more states. So would that be part of the package.
I will try and call them later too.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I just came from Wyoming and OnX was priceless for us!
I do however reccomend the phone app over the Garmin chip, simply because the size of the screens.

Terrible advice on this thread. Private land means no trespassing. If a public road goes thru it then there is probably a right of way but stay on the road. Dont take bad advice, do your research and be polite to landowners. OnX is not as accurate as you think. I am sure there is a disclaimer. Property I manage shows the neighbors owning it and us owning the neighbors! SE Idaho not accurate.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-19 AT 05:52AM (MST)[p]>No, but Colorado has a new
>Road and Trail App COtrex
>it is a free app
>and you can do tracks
>with it.

I have noticed several discrepancies between it and reality. For example showing access thru locked gates, routes that have been closed for years, etc.

OnX is a great product though. Anyone know how to change states from my end? I'm sure they would like to sell me the upgrade but I only need one.

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

OnX is a great tool, but it is not 100% accurate.
I know of a few private lands that still show as forest lands.

Be careful and if something is questionable, do more research.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-19 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]This doesn't pertain to X maps but I just needed help???
I replied to a message on Muleys forums and I also agreed to receive email when there were new updates but I can't get it to stop and I'm being flooded with updates to that thread does somebody know how to stop that ?

Is there somewhere on the email page to unsubscribe?
Look close because some sites will try hard to hide it from you

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom