Once, twice, SOLD!!!

Long Time Member
CHICAGO (AP) - A federal judge in Chicago has ordered Governor Rod Blagojevich released on his own recognizance after the Democrat was hit with federal corruption charges.

The governor was arrested at his home Tuesday on charges he conspired to sell or trade President-elect Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat to the highest bidder.

U.S. District Judge Nan Nolan said "Good afternoon, governor" in greeting Blagojevich at the afternoon bond hearing. The governor was wearing sweat pants, gym shoes and an athletic shirt.

He was released on a signature bond that specifies that he'll forfeit $4,500 bond if he doesn't appear in court. Blagojevich also was ordered to relinquish his passport and his firearm owner's identification car.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

CHICAGO (AP) _ Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday on charges he brazenly conspired to sell or trade President-elect Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat to the highest bidder as part of what federal prosecutors called a "political corruption crime spree."

Prosecutors did not accuse Obama himself of any wrongdoing.

Blagojevich also was charged with illegally threatening to withhold state assistance to Tribune Co., the owner of the Chicago Tribune, in an attempt to strong-arm the newspaper into firing editorial writers who had criticized him.

The 51-year-old Democrat was also accused of engaging in pay-to-play politics _ that is, doling out jobs, contracts and appointments in return for campaign contributions.

"We were in the middle of a corruption crime spree, and we wanted to stop it," U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said, calling the charges against Blagojevich "a truly new low." He added: "The conduct would make Lincoln roll over in his grave."

Federal investigators bugged the governor's campaign offices and tapped his home phone, capturing conversations laced with profanity and tough-guy talk from the governor. Chicago FBI chief Robert Grant said even seasoned investigators were stunned by what they heard, particularly since the governor had known for three years was under investigation for alleged hiring fraud.

Blagojevich spokesman Lucio Guerrero had no immediate comment on the charges but issued a statement saying the "allegations do nothing to impact the services, duties or function of the state."

The charges do not identify by name any of the political figures under consideration for the Senate seat, calling them only "Candidate 1," "Candidate 2," and so on. However, those being considered for the post include: Reps. Jesse Jackson Jr., Danny Davis, Jan Schakowsky and Luis Gutierrez; Illinois Senate President Emil Jones; and Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs Director Tammy Duckworth.

The scandal leaves the Senate seat in limbo. In Washington, Democratic Sen. ##### Durbin of Illinois said the state should hold a special election to fill the seat instead of letting Blagojevich pick someone. "No appointment by this governor, under these circumstances, could produce a credible replacement," Durbin said.

The FBI said in court papers that the governor was intercepted on wiretaps over the last month conspiring to sell the Senate seat for campaign cash or plum jobs for himself or his wife, Patti. He spoke of landing a job with a nonprofit foundation or a union-affiliated group, and even held out the possibility of a Cabinet appointment or ambassadorship for himself.

"I've got this thing and it's (expletive) golden," he said of his authority to appoint Obama's replacement, "and I'm just not giving it up for (expletive) nothing. I'm not gonna do it."

Blagojevich also considered appointing himself to the Senate seat, telling his deputy governor that if "they're not going to offer me anything of value, I might as well take it," prosecutors said.

He said becoming a senator might remake his image for a possible presidential run in 2016, according to court papers. And he allegedly said that he would have access to greater resources if he were indicted while in the Senate.

Prosecutors said Blagojevich also talked about getting his wife placed on corporate boards where she might get $150,000 a year in director's fees.

In court papers, the FBI said Blagojevich expressed frustration at being "stuck" as governor. "I want to make money," the governor, whose salary is $177,412, was quoted as saying in one conversation.

The head of the FBI's office in Chicago said he phoned Blagojevich at 6 a.m., telling him of a warrant for his arrest and that there were two FBI agents at his door of his Chicago home. Blagojevich's first comment was, "Is this a joke?" said agent Robert Grant.

Nothing in the court papers suggested Obama had any part in the discussions or knew of them _ something Fitzgerald repeatedly made clear at Tuesday's news conference.

In fact, Blagojevich was overheard complaining at one that Obama's people are "not going to give me anything except appreciation." He added: "(Expletive) them."

The conversations took place between Election Day and as recently as last week. On the recordings, Blagojevich was clearly aware authorities might be listening, warning one person not to use the phone and saying, "The whole world is listening. You hear me?"

Political fundraiser Antoin "Tony" Rezko, who raised money for the campaigns of both Blagojevich and Obama, is awaiting sentencing after being convicted of fraud and other charges. And Blagojevich's chief fundraiser goes on trial next year on obstruction charges.

The court papers also outline Blagojevich conversations related to Tribune Co., which has been hoping for state aid in selling Wrigley Field, the home of the Chicago Cubs. Blagojevich was quoted as telling his chief of staff, John Harris, in a profanity-laced Nov. 4 conversation that Tribune executives should fire the editorial writers "and get us some editorial support."

Harris is later overheard telling the governor on Nov. 11 that an unnamed Tribune owner, presumably CEO Sam Zell, "got the message and is very sensitive to the issue."

Blagojevich was elected governor in 2003 as a reformer promising to clean up former Gov. George Ryan's mess.

Ryan, a Republican, is serving a six-year prison sentence after being convicted on racketeering and fraud charges. A decade-long investigation began with the sale of driver's licenses for bribes and led to the conviction of dozens of people who worked for Ryan when he was secretary of state and governor.

___

Associated Press Writer Don Babwin contributed to this report.

>Blagojevich was elected governor in 2003
>as a reformer promising to
>clean up former Gov. George
>Ryan's mess.

LMAO!!

Scott
Member: RMEF, SCI, and NRA

Should I have found it odd that I had to read 3 articles before one of them mentioned (and that one didn't mention it until more than half way through) that he was a Democrat?

I guaratee if he were Republican that headlines would have included his party affiliation in it.

Like this - "Crooked REPUBLICAN Governor of Missouri Arrested on Corruption Charges"

I guess the Republicans don't have a monopoly on corruption lately do they!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Cheney and Gonzo were just indicted for organized crime and obstuction of justice charges, Gonzo already jumped ship but is Cheney going to resign? I bet this cull governor is gone soon and Shooter stays on. I guess VP isn't as important of a position as governor.

Politians are either crooks or thinking about being a crook. I'm not sure party affiliation matters.

No doubt pres elect wasn't involved.....he has never even met the governor........

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB

He also is reported as saying that the Rev. Jessie Jackson was looking like a strong candidate for the appointment to Obama's seat.
I wonder how much did Jessie Jackson offer to pay in order to get that verbal comment. Only the FBI knows.

RELH

I think I've seen the GOV in the Kremlin a few years ago. Love that hair piece. Scroat MFer.

Ransom what's insane about that? Shooter and Gonzo were indicted a week ago in Texas of all places, and politians are for the most part crooks. tell me where I went off the deep end.

You get some bad grits or are you just grumpy today?

It appears that Hdude didn't get that info Larbo. I guess the Communist News Network is not working in Oregon due to the extreme cold weather about to hit my northern neighbor. Hey, did you hear that it snowed in New Orleans...earliest ever recorded. Friggin Global Warming!

It doesn't change the fact the VP was indicted, Cheney's lawyer pointed out that 2 of the alternate jurors were not properly substituted and the judge threw it out, Johnny Cochran would have caught that too. big surprise though, as the DA said he expected the system to protect itself and it did.

Trouble for shooter is just starting, what was the point in going after him while Bush could still pardon him anyway.

>It doesn't change the fact the
>VP was indicted, Cheney's lawyer
>pointed out that 2 of
>the alternate jurors were not
>properly substituted and the judge
>threw it out, Johnny Cochran
>would have caught that too.
>big surprise though, as the
>DA said he expected the
>system to protect itself and
>it did.
>
> Trouble for shooter is just
>starting, what was the point
>in going after him while
>Bush could still pardon him
>anyway.

Quote from a famous MM member " arguing on the internet is plain retarded"

Back to the original topic.

How about Blagojevich's white trash wife's potty mouth.

Nothing like a woman in the background yelling F bombs while someone is on the phone.

Hope these low class trailer trash crawl back under the rock they came from.

they can't, no room under that rock because it is occupied by one of our members as his hiding spot.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom