Only Whites...No Browns?

bigbrink

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-06 AT 09:26AM (MST)[p]I found a new area last year that I shed hunt for deer. IN the last two years I have found over 20 sheds in this area, but they have all been white and falling apart. Why aren't there any bucks dropping there anymore?? I see deer in the area but in seems like they are always does and fawns. Why aren't the bucks dropping in that area anymore?

Great question.
I know a spot where I have found an unlimited supply of chalky good-sized mule deer sheds; but I have never seen an antler in the area that dropped within the last 5-10 yrs old. I see small herds of does in the area but very few deer overall.
In this case, I beleive it is the quality of winter forage. The sage appears unhealthy (drought?) and years of juniper/pinyon succession has sprawled across the mesa choking out any availiable wintering browse. The deer have moved on for greener pastures.

look back at weather history in those areas (snow pack etc..)
my bet is that the weather was a little different, offering better feed for the deer. It may not be as good now because of various other issues as well (human impact etc..) my 2 cents.
Dan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom