OnX questions

SS!

Long Time Member
I'm looking and switching away from OnX and was wondering if anyone has had luck saving their waypoints and transferring the waypoints to another platform?

Thanks!

I suppose it's not a service, but I do import my OnX waypoints into Google Earth.

I would highly recommend that you export two copies of your waypoints, one in .KML format and the other in .GPX. Google Earth supports KML and Garmin (along with BaseMap and many others) supports GPX. These two formats are the prevailing standards so I would like to think that almost all services will support one or the other.

GPX has your usual coordinates and KML has that plus additional topographical data. So again, good idea to have both copies as backup

I went ahead and transferred my onX waypoints to goHUNT without an issue took less then five minutes and then went ahead and looked over every single waypoint to make sure it transferred over correctly, that took a while but was just my personal preference. The only mistake I had come across was that in the notes if I put some sort of punctuation it messed up in the transfer. Pretty minimal issue.

Just curious why your are moving away from OnX. I
I like GAIA better and the tipping point was on a trip this year where we really needed onX to work and 6 of us that had it were alll having problems. It wouldn’t show current location, slow to load, but damn if that upgrade button didn’t show up on the map. Couldn’t get rid of it.

… but damn if that upgrade button didn’t show up on the map. Couldn’t get rid of it.

Just like a cocaine dealer. They know how to give away just enough of their product for free in order to create an addict. I will drop paid OnX once my freebie subscription expires.

I expect the kml export will work fine.

Just like a cocaine dealer. They know how to give away just enough of their product for free in order to create an addict. I will drop paid OnX once my freebie subscription expires.

I expect the kml export will work fine.
Oh I pay for onX but it’s the basic version. It’s annoying having that come up all the time. The functions of onX are subpar IMHO to Gaia also.

User error 99% of the time. And back up your onx AND GE data to a usb drive, or cloud, off your computer. It does you no good to import into GE and have the hard drive **** the bed.

When I switched from OnX to BaseMap a couple years ago, there was export/import options in each system and I was able to do it easy-peasy.

User error 99% of the time. And back up your onx AND GE data to a usb drive, or cloud, off your computer. It does you no good to import into GE and have the hard drive **** the bed.
User error 99% of the time regarding what?

There’s a reason why surveying companies, law enforcement etc are making the switch from OnX to other platforms. I use them daily for work and by far OnX has the most inaccurate information, less functions and more lag than some of the others. While they are not the worst they are not the best. And yeah I know they all pull the data from the same place. Well someone is fuggin up.

Just cancelled our two elite memberships and 2 normal ones. Everyone is liking the switch so far.

I will have to send OnX a thank you card though. They have my new moose spot shown as national park. That should keep some people out 😂

All my files moved and saved to the cloud. Thanks for the help and the PMs.

Last edited:
How do you export the way points? Does anyone have a step by step procedure for doing do?

Log into your OnX portal via web browser. I may be wrong but I don't believe there is way to do it through the app on your phone.

Once you login to the web portal, click on "My Content" on the left window pane and then hit the ellipses button on the upper right corner and select Export. From there, you can export specific waypoints or the entire list.

1702673623732.png

Oh I pay for onX but it’s the basic version. It’s annoying having that come up all the time. The functions of onX are subpar IMHO to Gaia also.
I've been telling myself to make the switch to Gaia for a few years now. Almost once a year OnX has a major f'up at the worst possible time for me.

Hey SS?

They Were Just Waiting For you To Get In The Viet-Nam Jungle BS!

The breaking point for me was 1.5 miles deep in an alder jungle and it stopped tracking where we were. But damn if the upgrade option didn’t pop up!

The breaking point for me was 1.5 miles deep in an alder jungle and it stopped tracking where we were. But damn if the upgrade option didn’t pop up!
I've been exactly in that situation, twice now. And once out in the Sound. Once in DJ. And about 6 different times where my downloaded maps all suddenly weren't available anymore unless I re downloaded them...discovered of course once I'm already out and needing to rely on them. Once my account itself got so corrupted that OnX had to create a second account and migrate all my stuff onto it. Countless times my tracking stops working, but thankfully most of those are just bird hunts.

I'm just too damn lazy and keep putting off the switch.

Wow, sorry to hear some of you are having trouble with onx . It's worked flawlessly for me, but I'll pay attention to what been happening to you guys.

So I’ve had a couple issues with on x. And was wondering what product is better. Anyone using go hunt? If so what does it cost for multiple states?

to me onX seem about half way there for actual mapping software. Good enough for most applications but there are others better suited for the application like Gaia

@SS! What did you end up switching to?
pros and cons?
today while horn hunting my update came up and that pissed me off. I even checked for a update even before I left this morning

@SS! What did you end up switching to?
pros and cons?
today while horn hunting my update came up and that pissed me off. I even checked for a update even before I left this morning
Gaia all the way, all the same features as OnX and more.

Gaia is less buggy for sure. Which is the most important feature needed IMHO. I think for users who suck at technology OnX is the way to go, so basically if you’re over 40 OnX is for you. I’ve had problems for years getting OnX to load in times I’ve needed it. Haven’t had that problem with Gaia yet.

And yes that stupid “upgrade” button that covered up some of the buttons while we were out deer hunting last fall was very annoying. Especially since we didn’t have service so we couldn’t make it go away.

Another thing I hear is OnX Gaia etc all use the same maps. Well I can tell you that’s not correct. The river we run our jet boat up for sheep hunting doesn’t even come up on OnX. A fricking river. Not a creek but a damn river. And this is an Alaskan river. Creeks up here would be rivers in the lesser 48. That is what sealed the deal for me.

For a platform where I need it for work etc it’s refreshing to have one that works great. I’ll let you know how this spring goes, I have about 60 days in the field planned before end of May. Leave on Friday for the first one…

Gaia all the way, all the same features as OnX and more.

Gaia is less buggy for sure. Which is the most important feature needed IMHO. I think for users who suck at technology OnX is the way to go, so basically if you’re over 40 OnX is for you. I’ve had problems for years getting OnX to load in times I’ve needed it. Haven’t had that problem with Gaia yet.

And yes that stupid “upgrade” button that covered up some of the buttons while we were out deer hunting last fall was very annoying. Especially since we didn’t have service so we couldn’t make it go away.

Another thing I hear is OnX Gaia etc all use the same maps. Well I can tell you that’s not correct. The river we run our jet boat up for sheep hunting doesn’t even come up on OnX. A fricking river. Not a creek but a damn river. And this is an Alaskan river. Creeks up here would be rivers in the lesser 48. That is what sealed the deal for me.

For a platform where I need it for work etc it’s refreshing to have one that works great. I’ll let you know how this spring goes, I have about 60 days in the field planned before end of May. Leave on Friday for the first one…

Thanks for the info and report My onx ends here in a couple months and it's time to be done. I agree with onx missing huge information, which I have found google labels stuff better than onx on some creeks.

If you need to rely on it, why do you need it in the first place? mtmuley
Lots of reasons. Ever try to hit the 40’ x 40’ opening 3 miles from the road in a sea of timber? Where there is literally no other opening. Sure beats having to climb 40 ft trees for POR. You’re not doing that up here in AK without being able to know where you’re at on satellite images.

Or you’re trying to avoid the alder hell up or down the mountain because your Montana client who’s hunted the bitterroot his whole life can’t handle the alders. That happened two years ago. Luckily OnX worked that time. Didn’t stop the high mountain come apart he had though….twice.

Had another time the fog rolled in from the ocean. Wouldn’t have been able to navigate to camp as quickly without it. Clients were jack hammering before we got to camp.

Not to mention land ownership. Private/public. Kinda important when it’s your job to not break any laws. This isn’t Montana where there’s a fence post 😂😂😂

Can you get by without it? Sure but you’ll be stuck hunting **** everyone else does, or sitting out weather. Or going your whole like that 40’ opening is the sweet spot the big critters live by.

Why do guys use guns for hunting when rocks and rocks on sticks worked just fine? To be more successful.

You Can Keep Them F'N Alders!:D

But In reality You're Gonna Need The Best There Is!

I Don't Think Most People Realize What The Weather Can & Will Be Like Up There!

Then Add The Alders In!

Lots of reasons. Ever try to hit the 40’ x 40’ opening 3 miles from the road in a sea of timber? Where there is literally no other opening. Sure beats having to climb 40 ft trees for POR. You’re not doing that up here in AK without being able to know where you’re at on satellite images.

Or you’re trying to avoid the alder hell up or down the mountain because your Montana client who’s hunted the bitterroot his whole life can’t handle the alders. That happened two years ago. Luckily OnX worked that time. Didn’t stop the high mountain come apart he had though….twice.

Had another time the fog rolled in from the ocean. Wouldn’t have been able to navigate to camp as quickly without it. Clients were jack hammering before we got to camp.

Not to mention land ownership. Private/public. Kinda important when it’s your job to not break any laws. This isn’t Montana where there’s a fence post 😂😂😂

Can you get by without it? Sure but you’ll be stuck hunting **** everyone else does, or sitting out weather. Or going your whole like that 40’ opening is the sweet spot the big critters live by.

Why do guys use guns for hunting when rocks and rocks on sticks worked just fine? To be more successful.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom