open carry?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 07:17AM (MST)[p]i was just curious with our fellow monstermuley family what your thoughts were to open carrying? i was reading the story on ksl today about it and seeing how many people were against it. wanted to see how many of us carry? i myself and pretty split down the middle 50/50 to concealed carry and open carry. i have a xdm 9mm and love it! i personaly dont see a problem with open carrying.. and love to see that we exercise our right to do so..

So if guns kill people, I suppose pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat...

I carry all the time and I will never carry open, I want to be the only that knows I have a gun until they need to know. I was always thought that if a bad guy knows you have a gun you will be the first one to go.

If you're going to carry, concealed is the only way to go. If you're carrying to defend yourself or loved ones in an emergency, you don't want a bad guy to know you're armed until the time to use the gun comes.

I think those who open carry are doing it to make a statement, and while those of us comfortable with guns have no issue with seeing guns displayed, the fact remains that a lot of people who are not anti-gun are still uncomfortable with seeing a gun on the hip of anyone other than a law enforcement officer.

Although I understand your open carry concerns in town or populated places, what about out in the field? I open carry everywhere I go when I'm in the field. Mostly for quick access purposes lord forbid I ever need it. But my concerns are more about critters, not humans. I don't think it will make one bit of difference to a cat or bear if I have it concealed or not. On the flip side, I have come back into town and forgot I even had the gun on my belt because Im so used to carrying it. I have seen where I get funny looks and it reminds me I have it exposed, certainly don't want to forget and go into a store that way..good way to get ushered out or asked to leave in a hurry. In those cases I cover it up or lock it up.

GBA

Hey Eric, are you sure that's what you had exposed to create their funny looks, LOL! Seriously though, I agree with both of you and how to carry it in each circumstance. If you have a CCW (that's what they call it up here in MI)why worry people in the latter case that GBA mentioned and carry it open, which you can do in many areas up here. However, I've never seen a single person with one showing.

I think that either way, it should be your choice. I myself carry concealed unless in the field.

-John Wayne

I carry openly in the field... Concealed in public. For all of the same reasons that have been stated above.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

> I carry openly in the
>field... Concealed in public. For
>all of the same reasons
>that have been stated above>

+1 me too.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 12:20PM (MST)[p]To me, the open carry folks that want to go to Starbucks via open carry ruin things for all gun owners. If yer gonna pack, why do you want to show off? Do you WANT to get a reaction? Why not just wear a T-shirt that says "I'm an A$$hole". Carry concealed and mind your own business!

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

Im on the opposite spectrum of you guys. you think I open carry because I want to make a statement when the truth is I open carry because it is my right to do so. For those of you who say that I will be the first to go then that should be great for you right? A perfectly valid argument to that could actually be the complete opposite, somone wanting to commit a violent act or crime could just as easily be deterred knowing I have a gun, and just as easily make a victim out of you because your gun is concealed.

My personal opinion on the entire thing is carry how you feel comfortable. The constitution does guarentee us that right doesnt it?

I think there should be a portion added to the bill though. I do not believe property rights should trump my right to life and my right to defend my life. If a property owner wants to post me out of a public place they should be held liable for my saftey.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 01:51PM (MST)[p]Also I have been open carrying for 2 years now and it has only once been a issue. A walmart manager in Clinton asked me to put it in my vehicle, he told me that it was against store policy to carry concealed or open in any walmart stores. I immidiatly left to avoid trespassing charges then came back after my gun weapon was left in the car and asked him how come they wouldnt post it on the doors to avoid problems in the future. He said they are not allowed to post signs on the doors becasue when audited they have to remove them.

Other than that I have open carried everywhere from the mall to the grocery store and rarely does anyone even notice the weapon, and its a full size 1911!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 02:36?PM (MST)

I open carry sometimes. I live and work in big time Bear and lion country. Anytime i'm out camping, fishing, getting firewood, or just out kicking around out in the woods, i generally have a handgun on my hip.

I got pulled over the other day, didn't stop all the way at a stop sign. The Officer ran my registration and i heard the dispatcher tell him that there were several guns registered to me. I thought that interesting that that info was relayed just on a traffic stop.

Also, when i asked him about it, he said he wasn't concerned or worried if i had a gun in my rig or not. He also mentioned when we talked further that with a CC permit here in Cali, new law passed last year that it is only good for the county that you got it in.

Couple years ago in Wy, we were getting fuel at a really tiny town mini-mart type place when a red rag-top Caddy pulls up to the pumps. Big old Dude in a big ol hat steps outa that boat with what looked like a nice old Colt SA strapped to his hip in a Roy Rogers looking rig. I thought that odd at first but then, why not??

Oh, no ticket! Nice guy, just a verbal warning...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

For me it depends on the circumstance and the place and the time . I carry concealed most of the time for the purpose I don't want to be identified by a bad guy as being armed . If I need to use it I want it to be a surprise .

Another thing is I don't like the way it causes alarm or to have attention drawn to myself . Also if its open carry I find myself having to be in a hightened sense of threat danger . I have to walk around in a yellow or red level when its concealed I can have that lower threat level , but jump up to the higher level in just a second . The reason I say this because my concealed holsters have one level of retention, and from my training and experience I need to have 2 or 3 points of retention for my holster to be out visible in public so some bad guy doesnt grab it .

Now out in the field or the woods I carry open for the most part . The last time I was up in Yellowstone I was kind of concerned about the open carry , but to my surprise I never had any issues with it when we where on the different trails .

Did some of you guys work as a mall cop?

hornkiller.jpg

Big old Dude in a big ol hat steps outa that boat with what looked like a nice old Colt SA strapped to his hip in a Roy Rogers looking rig. I thought that odd at first but then, why not?? unquote from Joey.

Damn Joey, was he bigger than you?? j/k

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

:) :)

I think maybe that it was Foundation!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-11 AT 01:13AM (MST)[p]I do both...depends on how I feel and what I am wearing.

Before I got my CHL, I always opened carried almost everywhere I went in Las Vegas and not once did I get a look. I am pretty aware of my surroundings and keep a close eye on anyone around me so I think I would have noticed.

Quite the contrary, I found it to be great conversation starter from normal folks, security personnel, and LE officers. Not once was I asked to leave anywhere or heard a negative thing. Some didn't even know it was a possibility to open carry and I might have even encouraged a few to start, who knows!

TopGun, I'm pretty sure it was only my weapon that was exposed but In not saying which one that might have been, ha ha ha LOL. Oh and Mike, it wasn?t at the Wal-Mart parking lot after more bags for Mikes 101 uses either! Ha ha ha LMAO?. Inside joke folks!

Can you all imagine back in the day when cowboys had six guns hanging from their hip as a norm and what people must of thought of them even in town if they didn't have them strapped on? Funny/odd how things have evolved over the years if you think about it. Those cowboys would have been considered sissy?s or maybe even prissy if they wore a nice suit, hat and carried CC. they may even been considered just plain stupid if they didn't carry at all. I just don't think the image of the old west movies would have the same impact if they carried concealed but you don't hear people complaining about how they should not of been carrying.

I'm pretty sure most public places here in Az. have a no gun, or exposed gun policy. So that being said it would be more of a pain to carry open than anything else. I also am NOT comfortable putting my gun back in my truck and leaving it locked up either. I'd rather have it on my hip where I know some punk isn't going to bust my window and steal it. Every time I've had to put it back in my truck I get all uncomfortable trying to be sneaky and hide what I'm doing so that a would be thief doesn't see I'm trying to lock my gun up in my truck. Anyone else ever worry while their in the store if today some punk is gonna break in and find their guns? I sure do and it makes me antsy to get back to the truck in a hurry the whole time

GBA

He also
>mentioned when we talked further
>that with a CC permit
>here in Cali, new law
>passed last year that it
>is only good for the
>county that you got it
>in.
>.
>
>Joey
>

Joey,

You were misinformed. The law is that you can only be "issued" a CCW in the county that you live in but it does not pertain to what County you can legally conceal carry in.

-John Wayne

Elk_Nuts, Thanks! Big difference between the two.

Joey

INTERESTING.........DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE PENALTY FOR CARRYING W/O A CURRENT LEGAL PERMIT ???/ THANKS..........YD.

>Elk_Nuts, Thanks! Big difference between the
>two.
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

No problem, also the good news is that most of California is going to a Shall issue instead of a May issue policy. Sacramento County is leading the way and Sheriff Jones is issuing permits for "personal protection"

I never thought I would see the day. Now if only HR 882 would get signed into law.

-John Wayne

>
> INTERESTING.........DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE PENALTY
>FOR CARRYING W/O A CURRENT
>LEGAL PERMIT ???/
> THANKS..........YD.

The State of California has very complicated and confusing concealed weapon and illegal possession of firearms laws. These laws regulate the ownership, use and carrying of weapons depending on either the type of weapon or the kind of person involved. Some types of weapons are allowed while others are considered unlawful. Certain people are not allowed to have an otherwise legal firearm including convicted felons, mental patients and people subject to a restraining order or protective order. Persons accused of domestic violence who are under a restraining order or a protective order are generally required to get rid of any and all legally owned weapons until after the case is resolved. There are laws that increase the penalties for certain crimes if weapons were used during the commission of the crime. The circumstances surrounding weapons charges can have a big impact on your case.
The type of charge will depend on the type of conduct which can include but is not limited to the following: Illegal possession of a firearm, carrying concealed weapons, unlicensed use of firearms, unlawful possession of firearms by minors or felons, unlawful discharge of a firearm, unlawful sale of weapons, carrying a loaded firearm or illegal dealing of firearms.

-John Wayne

Just saw a guy at Gunnies carrying openly...my first though was douche bag. I don't need people to know I carry.

Traditional >>>------->

So my question is if it was totally up to you (everyone can answer) would you make it illegal to open carry?

No

All though I wish people would have common sense and think about where they open carry , but I guess we can't teach common sense or make that a law .

Walking around with a exposed hog leg in Toys R Us or a restuarant causes people to be concerned and woried . Heck it even makes me some what concerned while I'm carrying concealed that I have to watch more carefully what the other guy is doing .

For me its the same kind of deal as sitting in a restuarant as a group of dirt bag bikers walk in and are seated in the same area . It causes concern and its a uncomfortable feeling to the point that I will hurry my family up and we will leave faster than normal had the bikers/ open carry , or any other groups or people that make people warry , had not been in the area .

Time and a place for every thing .

> No
>
> All though I wish
>people would have common sense
>and think about where they
>open carry , but I
>guess we can't teach common
>sense or make that a
>law .
>
> Walking around with a
>exposed hog leg in Toys
>R Us or a restuarant
>causes people to be concerned
>and woried . Heck it
>even makes me some what
>concerned while I'm carrying concealed
>that I have to watch
>more carefully what the other
>guy is doing .
>
> For me its the
>same kind of deal as
>sitting in a restuarant as
>a group of dirt bag
>bikers walk in and are
>seated in the same area
>. It causes concern and
>its a uncomfortable feeling to
>the point that I will
>hurry my family up and
>we will leave faster than
>normal had the bikers/ open
>carry , or any
>other groups or people that
>make people warry , had
>not been in the area
>.
>
> Time and a place
>for every thing .

Maybe it puts some folks at ease knowing it will be there incase it is needed. Just sayin'

Look at the Reno IHOP shooting. Bet somebody armed could have ended that quick or maybe detered it all together under a different circumstance.

I have to carry a gun all the time , and it doesn't put me at ease one little bit . I can make out the tell tale signs of the bulge of concealed carry and that puts me at ease knowing there are other concealed carry people around .

I'm trying to remember the facts of the IHOP deal , but I think the shooter had a AK or some type of assault rifle . I'm doubting that unless a open carry person that would have been in that place at that time would have much impact unless he or she had extensive training in combat shooting .

In reality if a bad guy is really targeting a location and he sees the open carry person that person is going to be his target .

look back at the washington state , lakewood shooting where four cops where gunned down in a coffee shop . Here we had four highly trained people who where taken by surprise , and in a second there lives where cut short .

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-11 AT 11:38PM (MST)[p]>So my question is if it
>was totally up to you
>(everyone can answer) would you
>make it illegal to open
>carry?

Our great Governor Mr Brown has signed a law making it Illegal in California (except for certain circumstances) to OPEN carry. This may be a sheep in wolves clothing. Yea, I said it backwards. The reason given when the state became a "May" issue state for CCW was based on the fact that it was legal to OPEN carry. Now that OPEN carry is illegal a lot of counties are issuing CCW's like they have a "SHALL" issue policy. Sacramento County I hear is issuing at a 92% success rate with "Personal Protection" being used for just cause.

-John Wayne

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-11 AT 03:33AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-11 AT 03:30?AM (MST)

True....but if you or your family were placed in that situation, wouldn't you atleast want somebody to be armed? I know I would! If they got taken out, then thats just luck. Atleast there was atleast a sliver of hope for the situation to end and for the most part everything possible was done to keep innocent lives from being hurt.

That being said...some folks just don't have the cash to fork out on a CCW permit. For those who want to carry but cannot afford to do so, I feel open carry is ther perfect option for them.

The point is....if you want to carry a personal defense tool, then I feel you should be allowed to do so regardless of method as long as you are legal to do so.

I know very few, if any, thugs and general bad folks open carry ;) and advertise their intentions.

What is the pecentage of people who carry a weapon legally that commit a crime. I remember it was such a small percentage from my class it wasn't even concerning.

Now what is the same percentage of those who are not legally carrying around that weapon?

The fight should be to remove the weapons from bad folks (I know, an impossible task) and not fighting amongst ourselves as to what method you choose to use :)

Anyone ever heard of the Lubys massacre in Texas? Someone with a gun could have stopped that from happening. open carry or concealed it would not have mattered, Im glad to see that while most of you disagree with open carry you understand it is a right to do so and would not try to interfere.

Z said; "I know very few, if any, thugs and general bad folks open carry ;) and advertise their intentions."

+1 Z and also a thug is more likely to conceal his gun therefore if I see the bulge of a concealed weapon it puts me more on edge than an openly carried one because a thug is much more likely to carry concealed.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

Here my take
Would you like sitting in a place with 5-6 gang members sitting around with a guns, Because if they had not got caught yet doing something illegal they can carry just like you and me right.
That really don't make me feel that safe.
Having to get approval on a CCW makes it alot harder for a Gang member to get one.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

#1 how do you know they are "gang members"?

As stated above I dont really believe "gang members" walk around openly carrying firearms.

To answer your question, I cannot walk around and 100% of the time point out every "gang member" I encounter. If I see somthing that I makes me feel my safety is in question I leave. The odds of having 5-6 gang members together at one time who havnt been caught doing somthing is also questionable. Also it does not matter whether or not they have been caught doing something wrong, they will still carry their gun reguardless. They are afterall criminals correct? All gunlaws do is restrict honest people, that applies to open carry as well.

If you feel safe with me having a gun hidden on my body then there is no reason to feel unsafe about being able to see it. It is still a gun.

Guess what if your sitting near 5 or 6 dirtbags they have guns, just because you don't see them doesn't mean chit!

You can know they are there either way. Or treat it like a universal precautions situation and treat EVERY dirtbags as if armed just as you should treat every new sexual partner as if they are carrying some disease.

Rest assured if they are gangsters and not posers then they are packing.

Although I don't like that they can pack open up until they get caught and convicted of a felony it's a drawback of personal freedom that I accept. Gun law shouldnt be cluttered with gray areas as it serves no purpose, keep it black and white. If you are not a felon you shouldn't be allowed to own and carry any weapon you choose, even many that are not legal today IMO.

No gun law is gonna save you if someone wants you dead or robbed or raped. There are already laws against committing those crimes we don't need special ones for doing it with guns as they only chip away at the personal freedoms our forefathers fought for. Just punish lawlessness to the FULLEST and you will do better than any new gun law designed to make the uninformed feel warm and fuzzy.IMO

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

>Here my take
>Would you like sitting in a
>place with 5-6 gang members
>sitting around with a guns,
>Because if they had not
>got caught yet doing something
>illegal they can carry just
>like you and me right.
>
>That really don't make me feel
>that safe.
>Having to get approval on a
>CCW makes it alot harder
>for a Gang member to
>get one.
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

A gang member will almost never open carry. When they do carry concealed, it is a felony.

I hate to say it, but sterotyping works.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom