Opening day of fishing season

B_F_E

Long Time Member
Think of the aura, anticipation and traditions of what used to surround the opening day of fishing season.

what do you think about it now ?

Opening Day on Strawberry many Moons ago was always a Sight!

More Corn Bought than any other day of the year back then!!!

Now,everyday is opening day,Right?

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

I don't remember an "opening day" I was too young, or lived in States that didn't have a closed season.

And now...365 is the rule around here, but we fish a few stretches that aren't fishable (due to water levels being too high), and I count down the days til the flow is low enough...

Here are a couple from the other day: it an area that gets hit with bait fisherman- not a bad day.

3172peu_20120306_121.jpg

772peu_20120306_122.jpg

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

>Do you think its better now,
>all year round, Bessinheymer ?
>

Well Beefy!

Fishin was better back then for big Rainbows!

There have been certain years since year around started that have been good but been going down hill in recent years!

I like year around because it ain't like the Pumpkin Patch on October 20th!

We're up to 5-6 months of Big Game Hunting,maybe they should make it open year around?

You know,just shoot em when you see em!

"Opening Day" used to be a huge deal. Most times there was too much snow in the high country to reach the lakes and streams in the Wilderness, so we usually hit the creeks and rivers for trout. The limit was 10 trout.

Now it's all closed or catch and release only. We were into hook and cook back then. There are a few places where you can catch and keep planters, but that is boring. I haven't fished opening day in many years.

Eel

We don't have a "season" on sturgeon but it needs to get a little warmer to use my pontoon. Ron

8-12-11Esmall.jpg

I used to always get out and fish opening day, seems like it was almost always 30 degrees and wind snowing.

The limit is 7 trout where I live/fish, and usually they are mostly caught out the day before opening day!

And there was always someone getting mad or arguing about someone getting too close to "THEIR" spot in the creek!

Opening day of trout season was always long awaited because my Grandparents on my Mom's side always invited me to go along when hey'd make plans to fish one or another of the high Sierra lakes.

Taking forever to get to sleep, i'd awaken to the smell of bacon on the pan. Grandma would have a full breakfast ready to serve and no sooner than wolfing that down, we'd be in grandpa's old GMC truck and on our way. I always hated the long drives. Being very young when this tradition started, i recall at least a couple years where i'd make a comfy sleeping area on the floorboard with my head up against the gear shift. I'd always wake when it was still dark outside but i could hear the truck gears labor as we were out of the valley and pulling the hills with fir, cedar, and pine trees around us on both sides of the road

Grandpa liked to troll. The three of us all had our chores in getting his Gregor boat in the water and then once out, we'd decide what to put on to try our luck behind the reliable chug chug chug of his Evenrude outboard motor. We more times than not ended up with our limits. I loved looking at all the different and wonderful lures in Grandpa's tackle box and if i picked one out to try, he'd usually tie it on for me even if he had little faith in it. The best part of the whole deal was when you first got the bite. It could be "the monster" or just a little guy. But when that rod first jerked in your hand, that was really some feeling and even now i never tire of it.

Our fish caught were generally in the 10-12" range with a 16 incher being a really big one. I remember having Grandpa tie on a bass plug for me and we soon all had bass plugs on as mine no sooner got back behind the boat when a monster hit my line. Unlike the others, this guy took s lot of drag and fought well except he never did jump. I was made the hero of the trip when that boated Brown trout tipped Grandpa's scale at 4 1/2 pounds, the largest trout we'd caught for several years before or after.

Now days, i go sometimes and sometimes i don't. Opening day is for amateurs a lot of times. There is plenty of time left in the season and not near as many out tromping thru the waters and leaving their trash. Like as not, while fishing anytime anywhere, i'll remember back fondly of all the trips and wonderful times spent fishing with my Grandparents. I miss them terribly, such is life i guess.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Not to hijack, but thanks tyler- that's why we caught them- they were hungry and we threw a big looking meal in front of their face-they couldn't resist.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

I miss fishing with my lil kid on our Northern California rivers.

t10.jpg

o.jpg

HPIM1915.jpg

v1.jpg

59131_102949986435196_100001605848906_21360_3140404_n.jpg

Now that he's almost 20 years old and 6'4" I wonder if it's the fishing I miss or the lil kid that used to go with me...

:-(

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-12 AT 00:54AM (MST)[p]Oh yah I Remember there was so many boats at Strawberry back in the 60's on opening day that you could walk across the lake without touching the water.

GAWD I MISS OPENING DAY!!!

Well Beefy!

I sure do miss opening day!:D

RE: GAWD I MISS OPENING DAY!!!

RE: GAWD I MISS OPENING DAY!!!

We still have an "Opening Day" on certain waters here in Southeast Idaho. Henrys lake being one of them, which is a full on Charlie Foxtrot opening day. There use to be more, but it seems they are all slowing going the way of open year round.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom