Opening Day Ruby Mt. Bowkill

ArcheryAddict

Opening day went from bad to good in a hurry with this kill. The day began with deer being really scarce. It was going on 2:00PM without a shooter buck being seen anywhere. My dad and I had seen a few bucks feeding away from a quaky patch on the evening before the opener, but weren't sure how big they were. I figured my only chance for the day was to take a gamble and head off the mountain down to where we had seen the bucks the evening before, hoping a good one would show himself, and hoping I wouldn't spook them or get winded. As I closed in on the quaky patch I peaked up over a rise and saw this guy browsing in shoulder high sage. He had no idea I just came down the mountain towards him. The evening wind was good. I took off my pack, belly crawled behind some large sagebrush, and ranged him at 65 yards. There was sage covering his vitals, but I figured at 65 yards I could arc my arrow over it. It worked out great, my spitfire worked perfectly with a complete passthrough. The buck only travelled 20 yards and went down. He green scored 170 2/8. Great Day After All!!!
4072011_kill.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-11 AT 08:15PM (MST)[p]Thank you for all the compliments. That really is some tough country to get a deer out of. We didn't get the buck boned out and packed up to the ridgeline our camp was on until 12:30 PM, almost killed my dad. We resumed the packout at 6:00AM and didn't reach our pickup until noon. Almost killed my dad twice, he doesn't do so good with 55lbs. on his back. Kinda Funny!!

Very nice, setting the bar high for the rest.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Very nice. I was up in rubies for 4 days. Hit a big 3 point and couldnt recover him after 6 hours of looking. Seen some monsters though. Plan on going up for a few more days in a couple weeks

I always look forward to seeing you and your Dads bucks every year. Your pictures keep me fired up. Also, love the story and the part where you arched your arrow over the sage brush. I would never had tried that. Great shot. Thanks for posting. fatrooster.

Thanks for all the compliments,
Chris and I had a fun season, I finally connected on a heavy horned buck yesterday that layed in a very bad spot for him. Lots of good memories created in those mountains.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom