Opening day success for someone

Smokepole

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-19 AT 08:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-19 AT 07:56?PM (MST)

Opening morning a couple was on the next ridge over. First thing they shot at and wounded a nice buck but, were having some trouble finding it. They told me where they thought the buck had been hit, the wife felt she hit it far back and the husband had hit it in the leg. I offered to help track it (I like doing this).

There was not much blood to follow most of the time, sometimes we just followed tracks. However, on occasion he was bleeding more and made tracking a little easier. We tracked this buck for 4 hours and he went about 1.5 miles, sometimes uphill. We finally jumped him in some thick cover (less than 150 yards from some other hunters walking along a trail). The husband got off a shot and then i did. The buck went down but, needed another shot to put him out. The wife's shot had actually hit high on the bucks hind quarter and the husbands shot hit just above the hind hoof.

This couple said they couldn't thank me enough for helping them (They did give me some water since I had left my stuff back on they ridge we were hunting from). I told them I enjoyed do this and I couldn't let this nice buck be lost.

This is a great buck for a general season hunt.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...6.-2207520000.1571624321.&type=3&size=765,394

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...6.-2207520000.1571624321.&type=3&size=765,436

Smokepole

I would do the same in your situation.We have over the years once or twice helped a cowhand by driving cattle out of a canyon (at his request),helped a couple struggling to drag their out,(one time two hunters were struggling with a drag, and the guy who shot the deer had injured his ankle- wasn't a big deer, and after watching them not making much progress, four of us hefted the deer, and packed it in for them!) Not only this situation, but numerous assists on stuck vehicles! Good on you to be selfless and help out!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-19 AT 11:26PM (MST)[p]Smoke pole
As they say what goes around comes around
You never know when you may need help someday
If I can I will always help someone out it just makes me feel good and it's the way I was raised.
I have also made some great new friends over the years by helping others.

I think helping other hunters out is what makes most hunters good people. Of course theres a few bad apples, but in general hunters are nice. I've been helped when my truck was stuck deep in the mud. I've also helped others.

Two years ago my son and I were hiking up through some aspens to get up high for the evening hunt. As we were headed up the trail a young woman excitedly said "Greg, Greg, I just hit my first buck" then as we passed she saw that I wasn't Greg. She appologized and I said no need I completely uderstand the excitement of your first deer. I asked if she needed help to track it. She said no my husband is just down ahead of me on the blood trail. I was impressed that she was using a long bow and wood arrows.

My son and I continued up the mountain. We hunted til dark and then came down with head lamps on. About half way down the mountain we could see some other head lamps. It was the gal and her husband and they had an 18 month old with them that was done being on the mountain. The wee one was in one of those back packs for babies. They had a good velvet three point on the ground but were struggling with the gut job. I asked if I could help. They were so gracious. The husband said if you don't mind I'll hike my child down the mountian to grandma in the trailer and come back. I asked if they knew about the gutless method and explained it. Then I said no need to come back up we'll quarter it and bring it down. Our camp was in the meadow before theirs. I said just come over to camp and get the quarters when you see us come accross the meadow with our head lamps. I was able to pack out all the meat in my pack, my son packed out the head. And the first time huntress brought out her and my sons bows. It was so fun to see how excited she was for her first kill. Come to find out the young couple only lived about a mile from my home. Small world.

>I think helping other hunters out
>is what makes most hunters
>good people. Of course
>theres a few bad apples,
>but in general hunters are
>nice. I've been helped
>when my truck was stuck
>deep in the mud.
>I've also helped others.
>
>Two years ago my son and
>I were hiking up through