opening weekend

ID_hunter27

so how did every ones weekends go lets see those pics of anything mine not so good took a guy up that hasnt hunted in about 20 years he was dead set on high elevation needless to say i just went along for the ride... and i had a first some one shot a doe on the side of a main road in the snow and left it

went up to 39 with a buddy, we hunted all day saturday and a quick morning hunt today saw one small 2 point and 5 does all weekend between 5 and 7000 feet elevation, everyone else we talked to after packing out this afternoon had seen about the same or less, then driving out every camp in the lower elevations had at least one deer hanging, guess we shouldve stayed lower

I couldn't hunt as high as I wanted either because of the snow. Anyway, plan B had me seeing a lot of deer. The bucks were your basic general season yearlings and 2 year olds. I had a great time hunting alone, in fact I never saw another person and I tagged a 3 point that took me two days to pack back to camp...for a OTC tag...good times.

we didnt have any snow at the elevations we were at, just a little bit on the very tops of the north facing slopes, what kind of elevation were you hunting on your plan B greatbasin

I hunted Sat in 39 at about 8200-8400ft saw 3 bucks, nothing great. Sunday I hunted lower in 43, saw 4 bucks and about 125 does. Think I will visit this area later in the month as many deer were passing through it. Big bucks should be there soon if the weather continues.

Hunted 39 at about 5500 feet and was 3 miles in from the Middle fork road...Saw 4 bucks, 1 23-24" 4 point, and 3 2 poinst and about 30 does...Lot of deer out there, but Its going to take a lot more than a 130" 4 point to pull the trigger...Headed up to Salmon on Wednesday for 10 days so hopefully the big bucks are moving up there.

Adam
Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

>we didnt have any snow at
>the elevations we were at,
>just a little bit on
>the very tops of the
>north facing slopes, what kind
>of elevation were you hunting
>on your plan B greatbasin
>

Without looking at a map I guess I was at about 6500 to 7200 ft? I had to clear a spot in the snow to set-up camp. The hills had some spots with 2-3 foot drifts while other slopes were almost snow free.

Waiting for a bigger buck was breifly tempting, but free time is in short supply this year and after last years slow season, I was just stoked to kill one. I am not a big longshot guy but making a bang-flop kill at 165 yards with a muzzleloader in a any weapon hunt, was icing on the cake.

Adam,

Give us a Salmon report when you get back. I am curious how the deer are doing up there. I saw a lot of them on their winter range when I was fishing last spring. Most of the bucks had shed their antlers by then. Good luck.

I am going in on Wednesday evening. Decided to forgo the mad dash of the weekend opener. Got a spot that the deer should move into and the pressure from the first few days will push in some more. Big bucks should be in the timber pockets now. Hopefully the wolves followed them in there!

Opening day took a death hike....ended up seeing 31 bucks and about 160 does, couple bulls, bear, turkeys, and a few coyotes.
Sunday went out with my dad, brother and one of my buddies seen 10 bucks....brother shot a 23.5" 4x5 that is really heavy....he was one of the better bucks I had seen the day before.
Went out tonight to a different area and seen 25 does and a dink forky and a $#%@ ton of four wheeler and truck tracks off the road up and down every ridge....it was pathetic!!! I hate lazy hunters!
YB

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-09 AT 07:18AM (MST)[p]We hunted crow cr area,unit 76, it snowed all day sunday, there was 4 inches or so in the bottoms when we left, snow drift mountains were covered before this storm. Are you Elk hunting on wensday? Good Luck. tex

No elk just deer. I hope the snow is going to help. More on the way I think, it is dumping rain here in Ca.
Thanks for the info, Don

We too will be going back tommorrow, we had good success on saturday, saw alot of deer, sounds like rain off and on again through sunday. alot of people driving the roads, but saw nobody on our hikes, good luck

Had a great openning weekend. Opening morning had me hiking over 3000 vertical feet at 4 am but it was worth it. Spotted a buck that I believe would go 180-190, but range finder had him at 800 and I won't take a shot at a buck over 400. He ended up hitting the timber probably 10 minutes after shooting light and I didn't want to push him out of the canyon in hopes of finding him again. Watched 5 bucks that were in the 150-160 range feed till about 10. It was really neat to watch them. All in all it was a pretty good opening morning. Not to many hunters which was pretty surprising.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom