Oregon Blacktail question

R

Razaboo

Hi

I have lived in Oregon for the last three years and haven't had much chance to go hunting, due to residency requirements and the birth of twins in my family. I finally get to get back to hunting this year. I have an extra bonus this year my oldest son is finally able to hunt with me. This is his first hunt and I would really like to get him a shot at a deer. So, I'm asking for some help. We plan to hunt in the Mt Jefferson wilderness area, around marion lake. If anyone has any info or could suggest a better first time hunt I would appreciate it immensely.

Thanks

Stan

Well, Stan I believe you may want to check the regs, as all area's east of the pacific crest trail are draw only. I will be hunting the upper deschutes which is not far there. My only advice is you will want to get off the main trails. the animals know they are there and humans use them.. Also check water sources and scout the trails leading to and from them. e-mail if you want more info. or advice

Hey stan, forgot to mention a blacktail site - Blacktail.com and I believe they have a link to another.

Hi Stan,

If you are half as excited as I am when my kids start out hunting you probably can't even sleep thinking about it. I have been on MM for a long time and many of them know how proud I was of my son's first elk and first deer. Now my daughters are coming up. It is great. Stan, you will want to start putting your son in for the youth hunts they offer here in Oregon however it takes at least 4 years to draw but worth it. There are some good ones. Oregon also guarantees a first time cow, buck and doe tag to youth. You will want to check in on that also.

Good luck and we want to see pictures, Jon

Are we supposed to sleep this close to the season. Heck, rifle season is only a month away, and archery (elk) is in two weeks. I usually am pretty excited about this time anyway, but with my son going I am about to go nuts. The wife is really having a good time watching me.

I will definitely post any pictures we get. Thanks for the info and encouragement.

Good hunting

Stan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom