Original Owner's staining technique

Squirrel

All you guys with the magical elixir, magical mud techniques ever try just beating them up same as the original owner did?? I took a set with me after elk horns as it is a truly pathetic year for elk and passed some hours getting them back to #1 condition.
I've reead that the velvet blood is a crucial element in the process of coloring of antlers so right off the bat I whacked my finger between the horns and the tree and got that good base layer of scarlet on 'em.

After I had the red&gooey on there I started with some green sage, moved on to dormant rabbitbrush, then some juniper brush.

Let that set in while applying first aid to my finger, then went for a lodgepole, greased them up and got double duty as it clotted my blood flow with the sap. While still VERY sticky I went for a light pile of gopher dirt and sprinkled until tacky went away.

After a week of finger healing I went out and pretty much repeatd the process. I figure I have about 6-8 hrs in them which wouldn't work for a generic 180 set but for these ones (202+) it was worth it to me, this includes sanding little varmint chew marks and filling hairline cracks with filler.

They still have a green tint to them but this is browning as they sit and some final polishing on dead sage should clean up the tips just right.

before
DSC03144.jpg

DSC03145.jpg

after

DSC03234.jpg

DSC03232.jpg

DSC03235.jpg

Looks pretty good. I bet if you tried that method often you would get some popeye arms goin on. Looks like the effort is worth the reward.

i use liver.. the blood works great. and rest is up what your deer elk lived by. pine sage, ect, deer elk liver works great it has no fake stuff in it,,,

You are saying JUST liver or liver in place of my O- finger blood? (followed by "brushing" on the apropriate foliage?) If so that is the only use I've found for game liver- besides keeping the camp robbers off the good meat... There would be a lot less screaming and cursing on the hill as well that way. The one legged F&*%# hop.

>All you guys with the magical
>elixir, magical mud techniques ever
>try just beating them up
>same as the original owner
>did??

Nope, too much work with the same results. The "Magic Mud" only takes about an hour of work and they look amazing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom