Oryx Badge hunts

WapitiBob

Long Time Member
tell me about these hunts if you could please.
When do they tell you the hunt area? Are these for problem areas or what?
Also, none of these hunts have allocated the 22% for NR. They should be a guaranteed draw but they aren't drawing the NR. Do they not adhere to the 22% for these hunts?

Thanks guys

The WSMR badge hunts are one of the perks of working on the range. They are not open to the general public and should not be applied for if you do not have a WSMR security badge or know someone who does...

DC

None of the Oryx hunts are on the 22% non resident draw standard. Oryx tags are all luck of the draw, equally. Maybe because non residents pay 10 times what residents pay.

Not to hijack the thread, but Mike - call Jerry to discuss your hunt. It looks like Zaqueo and I are going to be hunting deer in Santa Rosa...

DC

Mike is right on the 22%... Sounds like a good reason, too...

DC

Lucky, I have a friend/guide/outfiter that works on the range. He suggested I apply for one of these hunts. Just starting to look into it.
I see where the Oryx does not adhere to the 22% in the regs but the draw odds report shows it differently for the std. Oryx hunts. Only the badge hunts odds report does not show 22% for NR. Seems a little odd..

Don't know why they show differently, but I would ALWAYS want to draw a WSMR badge hunt if possible - since you have an entire month of weekends instead of one that might have lousy weather...

DC

These are really for the locals that work on the range or have a friend that does. Although you have the whole month it's only on the weekends when the range is shut down. This last year there were many weeknends that you could not hunt because of missions, so if you are from out of state it's a real crap shoot.

I'm one of the locals that works out on the Range (for 32 years) and have the security badge, so I can apply. There are areas on the Range where they really can't just let anyone from the public in (for safety reasons as well as security reasons) but they still have oryx populations there that need to be reduced, so that's the purpose of the hunts. I've put in twice and didn't get drawn either time. From looking at the odds, it looks like last year there were about 400 people that applied for each of the 40 licenses for each hunt. Since I see a lot of oryx every day out where I work, it is easy to take it for granted and not get around to applying (but next year will be different, probably, except I think I would now have to pay up-front). I have killed oryx on other hunts and they are fun to hunt. They are like antelope, easy to get one, but hard to get real close. So, the advantage of the Security Badge hunt for me is that you can hunt areas where they are not hunted otherwise. Areas where you can easily get within bow range. I would really like to kill an oryx with my bow, so I hope to apply and to get serious this year.
-- Bob

>The WSMR badge hunts are one
>of the perks of working
>on the range. They
>are not open to the
>general public and should not
>be applied for if you
>do not have a WSMR
>security badge or know someone
>who does...
>
>
>DC

Luckless - a perk?? it's just a tough job, but somebody has to do it!

Ooohh, I never thought about the bow. My brother said today I could borrow his .340 somethin or another.
I was planning on the Sept. hunt since I will be down there to whack an Elk.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom