Oryx-Shooting Sticks?

H

HillbillyNnevada

I am trying to decide on a good set of shooting sticks for my Dec. oryx hunt. I was looking at the Primos trigger stick tripod at Bass Pro but its pricey.

Can any of you guys with experience on the missile range recommend a good set of shooting sticks?

Should I look into a game carrier and what kind would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Hillbilly, when I hunt with my kids i carry a full on tripod with a shooting V on top. I have it set to the height they are comfortable with and I carry it with me and all I have to do is spread the legs of it and they can shoot quickly.
That is by far the most stable of all routes.

I did just buy a mossback tripod and it seems pretty dang good also. I got it on ebay used for about $35. I think they retail for about 70.

I never used a game carrier before until I hunted the Valle Caldera a few years back. I was real impressed how well they work.
I have the Cabelas super Magnum and I invested in the dual tires. Pricey, but, I was able to use my cabelas points to get it.
Dont buy a cheap game cart unless you are really short. The cheap/short ones will kill your back and they wont go over any logs or rocks.

+1
Don't buy the trigger stick. I have one and it sucks. You need something with more stability. Invest in a decent tripod and take a buddy to carry it for you. Good luck.--Kevin

I use the new Bog-pod system and it works awesome. It is a tripod designed set of shooting sticks, that have measurements on the legs so all you have to do is remember your specific number and it is quick and easy to go from compact to your desired shooting height. It is not too heavy and it comes in full camo. Also I purchased the interchangeable heads for it that go from a shooting-v head to an adapter that can mount to a camera, spotting scope, binocular mount, etc... in a couple of seconds. Works great for my oryx clients and I, and would definitley reccommend them. Game carts are the ticket for these hunts to get your animal out whole in order to take good pictures outside the gate. Goodluck in Dec! I'll see you out there!

Anybody have experience with the Claw? www.thegunclaw.com

If I am dragging a tripod around for the spotting scope anyways, the Claw could be useful, that is if it works.

If you are speaking about the "Gun Claw" it's definitely a slick helpful tool. A bit slower to get set up with then a set of shooting sticks, but rock solid once you're there.

nmhunt4food trekking the desert

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-09 AT 09:27AM (MST)[p]I'm seriously considering the Bog-pod tripod for my next oryx hunt (March Off-Range). My shooting sticks are just too short for a lot of situations.

We used the cabelas tripod for both my daughters and my oryx hunt and they worked fine,practice with what ever you get.She shot sitting and I shot standing so plenty of adjustment.And for sure on the cabelas mag hauler

I think the bog pod looks like the real deal...just wish Cabelas carried it in camo so I wouldnt have to pat $20 shipping from boggear
"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I just use my spotting scope tripod. I also use it for my binos as well and I don't even put the adapter on them. Why carry another set of sticks?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom