OTC archery elk question

Weiserbucks

Very Active Member
My hunting partner is trying to talk me into doing an OTC archery elk hunt this year . He is convinced we can hunt the LE units with this tag , but we would be only able to harvest a spike or cow . Most of the info I have dug up has me confused about the regs . Can someone clear this up for me ? Doesn't seem like an OTC tag would be valid in LE units , spike, cow or otherwise , Im lost . . . .

Thanks for the info . What has me confused is the wording on pg.38 :

"If you participate in the general season buck hunt , the spike bull elk hunt , the any bull elk hunt or the youth any bull elk hunt , you may not hunt any of the following areas :

Deer CWMUs
Elk CWMUs
Premium limited entry deer or elk units
Limited entry deer or elk units "

Do the above regs not apply to the archery tag ? I just want to be 100% clear on the regs before moving forward , thanks again .

If you have purchased a general-season ARCHERY elk permit you are not subject to that paragraph. It only lists 'general- season' deer or elk, not general-season ARCHERY or general-season MUZZLELOADER. It is referring to the any weapon general season.

On a side note, archery hunting for spikes and cows on LE units ends one week before the general units end. You have to switch over a general any bull unit to hunt elk that last week of the archery season between Sept 5th and Sept 11th. If the LE unit is a general season deer unit, like the Wasatch or Manti, you can continue to hunt deer there until Sept 11th just not elk that last week.

Cheers,
Pete

Page 21 actually states you can take a spike or cow on any spike unit except the Book Cliffs. The spike unit is a spike hunt on LE units but during the general season.

Hopefully I replied to this correctly. I am a first timer to this forum.

All these guys are correct. There are a few stipulations in certain units. As mentioned above about the Book Cliffs. Also the Monroe unit, I believe, is spike only. So the only elk you can harvest in that unit is a spike, no cows (or the other way around...read the proclamation under the general elk archery section it will specify). I believe the only 2 units that have those stipulations are Book Cliffs and Monroe. Other than those 2, if you are in a LE unit you may harvest a Cow or Spike (season dates do end about a week earlier on these ones) and obviously as long as you are in a General elk unit you may harvest Bull, Cow or Spike.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom