OTC General Deer/Elk

BMosh

Hoping to pick your guys' brains a little bit. I'm a CA resident (unfortunately). I'm sitting on 11 pref points in CA and still unsure if I will draw my tag this year. If I don't, I'm attempting to line up a trip to ID and pick up an OTC deer and/or elk tag. Never hunted ID and have only driven through the southern and eastern portions. Any suggestions on OTC zones where I might find some success? I prefer open, desert-type country. I'm 30 years old so I don't mind humping it a bit.

Not much to offer in exchange as far as Intel, as I doubt many of you desire to hunt CA. But if by chance you do, I may be able to help. Any responses and PMs are welcomed. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-15 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]Of course, you know that your post is like an airliner carrying a deadly disease asking for a place to land, don't you?

Like most of the mt states, Idaho has no shortage of hunters and good spots require plenty of pre-season scouting. If I had to give you the best advice I could think of, it would be to try to find a group of californians that hunt out here (plenty of those!) who might be looking for another hunter to join their group.

Other than that, I would review the stats, pick a zone and figure that you're going to burn a season or two learning how to hunt it. EVERY zone in Idaho can produce big deer.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-15
>AT 11:04?AM (MST)

>
>Of course, you know that your
>post is like an airliner
>carrying a deadly disease asking
>for a place to land,
>don't you?
>
>Like most of the mt states,
>Idaho has no shortage of
>hunters and good spots require
>plenty of pre-season scouting. If
>I had to give you
>the best advice I could
>think of, it would be
>to try to find a
>group of californians that hunt
>out here (plenty of those!)
>who might be looking for
>another hunter to join their
>group.
>
>Other than that, I would review
>the stats, pick a zone
>and figure that you're going
>to burn a season or
>two learning how to hunt
>it. EVERY zone in Idaho
>can produce big deer.

Yeah.. I hear ya. I might end up taking a "sight seeing" trip out there this fall. I don't mind the leg work.. But going in completely blind is rough. I don't really do the group hunt thing.. Especially with guys I don't know. Probably just be me and a buddy.

If there are any areas to AVOID, particularly due to too many people, that would be just as helpful.

I'm in your position so I can't help much. I'm looking for a unit to bowhunt elk. But the Idaho Fish and Game website is full of info and maps, you should be able to find what you're looking for. And a magazine like Huntin Fool can give you ideas where to start. Good luck.

Martin

>I'm in your position so I
>can't help much. I'm looking
>for a unit to bowhunt
>elk. But the Idaho Fish
>and Game website is full
>of info and maps, you
>should be able to find
>what you're looking for. And
>a magazine like Huntin Fool
>can give you ideas where
>to start. Good luck.
>
>Martin

Which totally invalidates your search for finding a spot with few hunters, unless of course, you read their recommendations and go somewhere else. Elk is even worse as alot of guys spend the entire season in the woods.

We did an OTC , general season deer and elk hunt in 2014 . The deer hunting was a blast , not many other hunters . As soon as elk season opened , the whole area was flooded with hunters . I would do the deer hunt again , but would be on my way home before elk season opened . It could have just been the area we were in , but seemed like there was WAY more hunters after elk than deer .

missalot

Not so sure. Huntin Fool names a couple dozens OTC units in Idaho that have above average harvest rates. It's a start, but I don't think these units will be overrun with HF members because of that. After all most members are mostly after draw hunts, and the ones who are hunting OTC/easy draws have many states to choose from. I hope they will not end up in all the same unit.

The bowhunting season lasts 4 weeks. How many guys spend the whole month of September in the mountains ?

I don't expect to be alone, but I expect to have some fun.

Martin

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-15 AT 11:54PM (MST)[p]As suggested earlier, maybe post up in the CA thread to find some guys that come out yearly. You guys definitely have a bad rep, but the 2 groups from CA that I run into each year at my 2 go to spots are really cool, committed guys that hunt hard, and do well.

Each year I'm learning more and more as to how important it is to keep hunting the same areas and really pinpoint which draws the critters hole up in each season, once the shooting starts in these OTC units. It seems to be a learning curve that might never end, which is part of the fun. But the only way to shorten it is to piggy back off some other serious guys that have spent the time since you are a NR.

If you really love to hunt, sell all you own in Cali now and get out.....

I did it 11 years ago and it was the best decision ever.

Plus, one good wind storm this summer and you will be in the next great Dust Bowl down there.

PS What everyone else said on scouting, just get up here and start putting boots to dirt. Time and miles will teach you all you want to know.

I'd look at it as a grand adventure and a challenge to find your own way.

Don't get discouraged at all. You just need a place to hunt and Idaho can be a wonderful place. Just learn it from there.

Boots and glass will tell you what you need to know and within a couple day you'll know enough to have some fun.

Remember this: there was lots of hunting well before the internet or Huntin fool or anything else like that.
You can't always get what you want with the push of a button.

Good luck,
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-15 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]When all fails, look to the areas that have designated Wilderness. Less roads generally equals less people, but not always.

Get on google earth and find areas with cover, water and meadows. There are generally decent populations of game within these areas that have all 3 needs met.

When you find a few promising areas, figure out what unit they are in then look for success rates on the G&F website.

Maybe look into a drop camp your first year. The outfitter will likely give up some info on good ares if you are hiring him to pack you in. If you and your buddy split the cost it likely won't be too bad.

BMosh,

I have hunted units 76, 75, and 78 for years. Off and on since 1977, that dates me! Unit 78 has produced some huge buck as of late. Bloomington Cyn., Paris Cyn. are realy good up high. In unit 75 we have had good luck in Skinner Cyn., Stauffer Crk., Co-op Crk. and North Ant Basin. Unit 76 has the best elk country , I.M.O. but there are good deer too. I would look at Montpelier Crk., Whiskey Crk., Red Mtn., Giraffe Crk., Home Cyn. Preuss Crk. and Meade Basin.

The dates of the season are such that hiking is a must and hiking up high is your answer. Camping is no problem, it is all National Forest, or you can stay in Montpelier.

It is not as good as it once was but what unit is. It will take you some time to "figure it out" but it is a great area. Hope this helps and good luck.

>BMosh,
>
> I have hunted units
>76, 75, and 78 for
>years. Off and on since
>1977, that dates me!
>Unit 78 has produced some
>huge buck as of late.
>Bloomington Cyn., Paris Cyn. are
>realy good up high. In
>unit 75 we have had
>good luck in Skinner Cyn.,
>Stauffer Crk., Co-op Crk. and
>North Ant Basin. Unit 76
>has the best elk country
>, I.M.O. but there are
>good deer too. I would
>look at Montpelier Crk., Whiskey
>Crk., Red Mtn., Giraffe Crk.,
>Home Cyn. Preuss Crk. and
>Meade Basin.
>
> The dates of the
>season are such that hiking
>is a must and hiking
>up high is your answer.
>Camping is no problem, it
>is all National Forest, or
>you can stay in Montpelier.
>
>
> It is not
>as good as it once
>was but what unit is.
>It will take you some
>time to "figure it out"
>but it is a great
>area. Hope this helps and
>good luck.

Awesome... Thank you! And thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm not looking for specifics. Just enough info to legitimize my trip. I know its going to take time and leg work to figure an area out.

>BMosh,
>
> I have hunted units
>76, 75, and 78 for
>years. Off and on since
>1977, that dates me!
>Unit 78 has produced some
>huge buck as of late.
>Bloomington Cyn., Paris Cyn. are
>realy good up high. In
>unit 75 we have had
>good luck in Skinner Cyn.,
>Stauffer Crk., Co-op Crk. and
>North Ant Basin. Unit 76
>has the best elk country
>, I.M.O. but there are
>good deer too. I would
>look at Montpelier Crk., Whiskey
>Crk., Red Mtn., Giraffe Crk.,
>Home Cyn. Preuss Crk. and
>Meade Basin.
>
> The dates of the
>season are such that hiking
>is a must and hiking
>up high is your answer.
>Camping is no problem, it
>is all National Forest, or
>you can stay in Montpelier.
>
>
> It is not
>as good as it once
>was but what unit is.
>It will take you some
>time to "figure it out"
>but it is a great
>area. Hope this helps and
>good luck.

I wonder if you'll see any new faces up there now? Heck, I might even have to take drive over there.

Missalot,

Just trying to help a fellow hunter out, isn't that what this site was founded on. Hunters helping hunters. I always help other hunters, especially when you may need info one day. I didn't tell him specific trails or glassing spots. Most hunters don't like these units because they are not A.T.V. friendly.

Units seem to have highs and lows, these are on the upswing. With the internet, Huntin Fool, Trophy hunter, Muley Crazy, and Eastmans do you really think 1 post on an internet forum will matter? Some of the worst hunting and hunters that I have seen was when I.D.F.&G. made these units a quota. Remember the Southeast tag quota? The areas that I listed would take you three years to four years to cover properly. Just trying to save a hunter some time scouting.

Cabuck

It is not about helping another hunter. If you want to help him. Fine. Send him a PM. Naming spots in the open forum does have an impact. I have seen it first hand. It may not be YOUR spot you are directing everyone who reads it to but it is somebody's spot.

Mike Henne

Mike,

Read my original post, these are my spots, found over 30 years of hunting them. I don't have a problem helping anyone with info, hunting is hard enough. There is plenty of public ground for everyone. I would be happy to help you or anyone who asked. Hint: there are no secret spots.

Cabuck

I'm going to give those areas a try. In fact I'm going to tell all my buddies and co-workers who will tell all their buddies and co-workers. We will all get the maps, find all the camps and trails and kill every legal deer we can find. Hope to see you all there.

Sounds good Buckhorn. Hope to see you there. Plenty of mule deer to go around. Good luck finding you buck. You should be done on opening day and then you can buy a second deer tag at the non-resident price. Got to love Idaho. Better you and your buddies harvest them, then the wolves or old man winter.

I'm sure there will be thousands more hunters there this year because of these posts. LOL Hopefully you are a resident so you can "jump around" to other units as they close from the 24th to the 31st. You may not be able to harvest a second deer, they could all be killed by these crazy internet hunters.

cabuck
Why didnt you just p.m. the o.p. and invite him into your camp.
Wouldnt that have been enough?

I could give you a long answer with reasons but I need to get to work. No, it doesn't matter, I don't care, other sources, party hunting is illegal even in Idaho, get over it

Cabuck

Cabuck I think you are to be commended for helping a fellow hunter. All the whiners are just that! You are also correct in saying that there are no secret spots anymore. If others do not like your posts you may ask them why they are reading this post if not to learn?????

cabuck
My guess is you dont plan on hunting there anymore. Sort of like what that airline pilot did.

Sorry, have been salmon fishing and working. Buckhorn, wrong again. You just don't get it. Those areas in Idaho hold some of the biggest bucks in the state and they have finally started to improve. That is a secret? Hopefully you will send your complaint letters into all the hunting magazines. I know that you wouldn't subscribe to them since they tell the world about all the great spots to hunt. LOL

Cabuck, you sound young, but I would bet that there will be a time when you say "this used to be a good spot before all of the hunters got here". I think helping guys out is great. And believe me, when someone posts up info like yours, I take note, if only for a couple of scouting trips out of curiousity.

How many guys that were on the fence about hunting Idaho because they really didn't have a place to go will it take to change your spot. You know the guys that I'm referring to....the one's who show up a few days before the season opens and commence sighting in their rifle or the one's who see a buck on top of a ridge and without knowing if it is within the range of their weapon, begin firing and adjust their aim as they refill their clips, hoping to connect or the guys who just plunk any buck they can on the last day just to say they shot a deer? The point is that these are the type of guys who cruise the internet waiting for tips.

And yes, there are few secret spots, just some that are more secret than others and those are worth protecting. It's a simple thing to send the info in a PM and know that only those that you choose to share it with, receive it. Nothing wrong with helping someone out, just better ways to do it.

The reason they may be starting to improve is because most Californians stopped hunting there.
Thanks to the limited quota and the earlier season dates the Bear Lake unit should be o.k.
The areas on the west side are not as likely to improve.
Your right about the magazines. They will let the world Know about it, AFTER they have made their kills.They are making money doing it. You are also right that I dont subscribe. I never needed their help to fill my trophy rooms.
This is a good site to share general info. but when it gets to specifics I feel thats what the P.M. option is for.

Unit 78 is a Controlled Hunt unit for deer 200 tag quota 180 resident and 20 non-resident.. Might as well buy a unicorn tag instead of an elk tag the way elk hunting has been the last few years..

Cabuck Everyone think that hot spot is his and he was the first to find it, Spots come and go the trick is being in one(hotspot) at the right time it's rebuilding with good bucks.
LOL if everyone was worried about those internet guys hunting his spots they would first have to do some walking, there is plenty of rood hunters already.
I like road hunters and those that hunt just off the road, they push those deer and elk up to me. I always hunt those escape routes.
Good luck to everyone this fall, Just remember if you camp next to a road you are going to eat some dust.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Cabuck Everyone think that hot spot
>is his and he was
>the first to find it,
>Spots come and go the
>trick is being in one(hotspot)
>at the right time it's
>rebuilding with good bucks.
>LOL if everyone was worried about
>those internet guys hunting his
>spots they would first have
>to do some walking, there
>is plenty of rood hunters
>already.
>I like road hunters and those
>that hunt just off the
>road, they push those deer
>and elk up to me.
>I always hunt those escape
>routes.
>Good luck to everyone this fall,
>Just remember if you camp
>next to a road you
>are going to eat some
>dust.
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Gator
You are right about that.
The thing is most of the spots he mentioned are in a controlled unit with limited tags. the draw odds will only keep getting worse.

Most of the spots mentioned are in General tag units 75 and 76. Only 78 is a controlled hunt with appx. 20 non-res. tags. If you would like to hunt to 10/31 put in for the controlled hunt, otherwise buy your deer tag and go hunt 75 or 76.
If you are lucky to harvest early, Idaho offers you a chance to buy another deer tag over the counter. If you are unlucky in other draw state opportunities, you can wait and purchase your tag after all the draws have been completed. Pretty sweet actually!!

Whiskey creek here I come! Hopefully it's 90 proof.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom