OTC Ibex

S

scottyboy

To all the boys on here who have attempted this hunt or may have a clue or two on how to pull it off..

Yesterday I was headed back to Tucson from TX and everytime I drive by those damned Florida mtns I get PUMPED. I want to hunt a big billy worse than anything. I put in every year, but as we all know, its like winning the lottery to get a rifle tag on "the Rock". I'm tired of getting a goose egg every year!

Are there any goats off the rock? Tres Hermanas? Are the little Floridas considered "off range"? I know that back in the day, there were LOTS of goats off the mtn range and they were fairly easy to get to..even down into the chili farms! Nowadays, I haven't heard of anyone shoot a big billy off range in years. Just wondering if it's worth spending 1600 somolians on a hunt where I wont even see a nanny, much less a shooter billy.

Come on guys, help me out!! I cant take this much longer!! I wnat to go Ibex hunting!

The little floridas are still considered on the range. I dont think it is worth it for a nonresident or resident unless you live in deming and can hunt all the time. I do know that there are some on private in that area but the ranchers wife loves them and would never let anyone hunt them.

only I have seen is on COOK's PEAK...and near Hatch I forgot what name is that hill! they are very scatterin and hard to find now!

I ll ask friend who lives in Silver City but he is in Iraq right now but have access into email, ask few area where there are chance to find them!

vinihunt

Come on Scotty. You don't really want to hunt those stinky things, do you? I mean, the mountain is so steep, and the hikes are so tough, and the animals are so smart. What fun is that? Unless you're really into adventure and are looking for a life-changing experience.
I've hunted there twice now, once for me with a bow, and once for son, and haven't taken an ibex yet. Unfortunately for my son, my Alaska trip got in the way of his hunt and we didn't have enough time, but he did have a few opportunities at some huge billies. That place gets in your blood. If you think you're itching to get on that mountain now, wait until you've been on it a couple of times. While you're there, you're thinking "What the heck is wrong with me that I would think this is fun?". Once you're off, you can't wait to get back on. Here are some pics of my dad's hunt from the mid-80's.

ibex9.jpg

ibex7.jpg

ibex8.jpg

ibex5.jpg

DAMN IT!!!! I WANT TO GO SO BAD!!!

Vini, you've seen them in the Cooke's peak area?? Man, that is quite aways north!! I never woulda guessed them in that area.. I was thinking more of them being south, not north.. My guess for "off range" areas woulda been the Tres hermanas and cedar mtns.. But I guess they'll go whereever they damned well please!

There's gotta be a way to get at a big billy out there off the rock. I just know it! And I'm gonna find a way!

NMTaxi,
i STILL watch that DVD all the time.. I musta watched it 50 times. It doesn't help me at all. :7 That goat ur old man took is a pig.

Now thinking back on all the posts Ive made on MM, this ibex post has become almost a bi-annual post by me. Seems that everytime I drive by that rock, I get a raging urge to hunt it.. I'm tellin' ya boys, I'd rather have a 45' billy on the ground than a desert bighorn. They are my ultimate animal, bar none.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-08 AT 11:51PM (MST)[p]Scotty-

Wild sheep and goats are like (the extreme version) of most mammals, in that rams/billys tend to move (way) around looking for females outside of their own gene pool. You can find some Pig Billy's off the Floridas, but for a realistic chance of harvesting one a guy has to put in some hardcore time, or have a hot tip.

I don't have a hot tip, but I know where you might find one.

There has been a group of 3 or so billys running in the Little Hatchet's for a few years, and a couple of them are boomers. My friends and I have chased them a couple of weekends, but only come as close as finding their sign. There are some trick tanks up there which is a good place to start. They are often seen running with the desert bighorns. (I'd start be asking the ranchers around the Hatchets) and I've heard they'll get as far as the Pelencillos.

That's about all I have to give you, and I haven't heard anything since last year, but I've seen the pictures the NMDGF have taken of some possible record billys (in the Hatchets)from the helicopter.

Good Luck, I'd love to hear someone had taken advantage of a cool NM hunting opportunity and logged the miles and hours to make it happen.

DUDE!!! Thanks for the info!!

I'm leaving for Africa in less than 12 hrs, but when I get back, I'm gonna really research the info you've been lind enough to share!! You have no idea how bad I want to take a big billy! And trust me, I'll do the miles if it's necessary!

Thanks man!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom