OTC Mountain Goat

LAST EDITED ON May-25-16 AT 12:20PM (MST)[p]It would seem that they should just sell a limited number of tags for each area they are talking about just like they presently do in other areas. Anything else would IMHO be about what you mentioned in your opening sentence where a guy would see a lot more orange than white.

I wouldn't try it. I think it would be to much of a risk or waste of money. Very few animals to compete for and sure the guides and locals in the areas would have most located and pattetne. I'll keep putting my money towards the draw areas.

LAST EDITED ON May-25-16 AT 06:37PM (MST)[p]They should make the whole state general season mountain goat except the 3 areas that actually have goats. I actually know someone who saw and has pictures of a MT goat in the Southwest Wy desert. They should just charge like 20 bucks if you already have a deer & elk or antelope tag. Just think of the money they could generate.
One would have about the same chance of killing a muskox.

"Non native species" is a pretty vague term in a word that is constantly changing.
At what point in history do biologist determine what is and isn't native?
Should we also get rid of all sheep, cattle, horses, and even people? They also impact bighorn sheep.

Pheasants, brown trout, and other species are great examples of exotic species in the US. The demand and popularity of mtn goat hunting in Wyo and other Western states is pretty evident by the steep draw odds!

What is currently on the agenda in Wyo became reality in Colo many years ago. The goat population in Colo boomed in the 80's until the CDOW dramatically increased mtn goat tags. Currently the goat population is a fraction of what it once was. The goat herd continues to expand somewhat. Areas with supposed conflicts with bighorn sheep the goats always loose out. The CPW haven't allowed goats to expand into the Indian Peaks and especially RMNP. In fact, I've heard they've used helicopters in the past to cull goats that wander into those areas. Has the CPW tried to eliminate exotic and non-native rainbow, brown, and brook trout in RMNP?

Ask any Colo hunter, tourist, or visitor if they enjoy watching/hunting mtn goats and you know the overwhelming response! Ask any bird hunter if they enjoy hunting pheasants.,.,or for that matter any fly fisherman if they enjoy fishing for exotic and non-native brown, rainbow, or brook trout in RMNP and I know the overwhelming response!

I know it's opening a can of worms but what about giant wilderness areas in Wyo that have few bighorn sheep and are an oasis for wildlife? The Wind Rivers are a great example of this. Should the WG&F allow mtn goats expand into those areas where hunters and others could enjoy them?

Wish they'd do the same thing with whitetails. They weren't around in most of eastern Wyoming until the 60's and are abundant now. A few less whiteys would help mule deer. My bias is toward mule deer.

G&F does an excellent job of managing our bighorn sheep. I would enjoy seeing more goats but am not sure about the interaction.

ICMDEER, I really don't think the CPW has any solid data regarding sheep/mtn goat conflicts. From what I've seen it's more or less speculation!

I think the goat herd is just fine. They been adding more tags through the years. I watched plenty of goats chill and eat with the sheep. But I did notice some goats in a area and when the sheep came in the goats left
The area.

Haven't been following this too close. Would like to see the G&F open it to public discussion versus just eliminating goats. I like watching them and have some great memories hunting and being around them in Colorado several years ago. Would also like to see the WG&F open up areas not holding big numbers of sheep for mountain goats. As Jims noted, the Wind Rivers might be a place to look at. The Salt River Range might be another.

It's really sad that mtn goats get such a bad rap! Here in Colo there are so many areas where sheep tend to struggle where goats would prosper. Goats offer great hunting opportunity and an added bonus to the landscape for everyone to enjoy viewing and photographing! Take a look at the goat draw odds in every Western state that offers tags and it gives a hint of how popular they are!

I would take a hard look at it. spend a week scouting and have one down 1 min past legal shooting time. it would really depend on the $$$

I agree with what jims said 100%

Why not let them expand? Is there a real threat to sheep? Crazy easy to manage populations - issues tags, guys LOVE to hunt. No brainer.

Unless I am missing something this seems like a dumb idea.

There is no way they would elimante them. We cant even hunt grizzly bears or wolves. I do know some game wardens hate goats. They would love to see a general tag on them. Hardest thing on sheep is mountain lions in the winter months. A pretty hardcore horn hunter found 4 rams in one draw. Also was some dead ewes/lambs. Well he is also a cat hunter. He located it and was female which we try not to do and only shoot male cats

NFH, did he take the cat???? my theory on this is even though I have ran lions quite a bit and thing they are a pretty cool animal and make a hell of a fun day running them I feel that a cat, any cat should not be allowed in a sheep area....period. no kitty allowed, plenty of room for them everywhere else. a sheep is a precious resource that is fragile in nature that needs no help finding a way to die.

No. If you shoot females is messes the quota up. They either shut season down early or less qouta for the next year

Disease, pneumonia, etc are a lot tougher on a sheep herd than mtn lions and goats! If you've been around sheep much you know exactly what I'm talking about! When the sheep herd above my house was dying off from lung worm/pseumonia the sick sheep were pretty easy pickings for lions. I found a number of sheep-lion kills. I never found any lion kills when the sheep were healthy.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-16 AT 11:41AM (MST)[p]Jims, i have been around sheep more than a little bit. Lions will decimate a herd. The escalante amd north rafael units here in utah are good examples
A sheep really is walking around looking for a way to die. I agree that nothing will tear down a herd faster than disease....but a lion will bleed it dry over a couple years. I have seen plenty of healthy sheep killed by lions.

The point I was trying to make is several sheep herds in Colo have gone from 50 to several hundred sheep to a handful in a couple years due to disease. You are right that mtn lions likely kill sheep.

Something crazy is going on in Alaska with dall sheep. They have collared quite a few sheep trying to figure out why sheep numbers have taken such a dive in the Chugach Range. Several of the sheep were killed by eagles, quite a few from avalanches, and according to one guy there is lung worm/disease showing up. Hopefully that isn't the case!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom