OTC MT Sheep Tags!

OMG, It will be a zoo but I'd go for sure if I didn't already have 2 sheep hunts this Fall.
Might be a good chance but it will be frustrating and not the kind of "sheep hunting" experience that I've grown to love and appreciate.
Good luck. Some MM member will surely go on this "hunt".
Zeke

Not being able to apply again for 7 years hurts. If you buy a tag do your current points go away? It doesn't say anything about that?

I don't picture it as something I would want to participate in. And I am nuts about sheep hunting.

>Won't be much different than opening
>day of deer season in
>UT.

Oh yes it will be way different!

I suspect you'll see that it will be way worse and there will be lots of "jockey for position" You'll also hear about some shenanigans, I'm sure.

People will come from far and wide to partake of sheep "hunting" and when the dust settles only a few will say they had a wonderful experience. I'd still go if I had the chance.

With that said, I applaud the Montana game dept for handling it this way. Utah F&G wiped out a sheep herd by means of their "professionals". Sickening deal that was.

Safety to all,
Zeke

If you harvest a ram or lamb, you would not be able to apply for 7 years. You lose your points if you fail to apply for 2 consecutive years. So yes, you would lose your points if you get a ram. But you would have got a ram! That's well worth it. Odds are you will never draw a ram tag anyway no matter what your points status is. Just make sure you do not shoot a lamb.

Here's my take...too many people will be out for the openers for both archery and rifle, especially the residents. There is still some private land associated with the hunting area and there's big timber too. Its a big area for only a chance at 4-6 mature rams. Once the lead starts flying the sheep will wise up really quick and with enough pressure (which is assured) they will keep moving and may move unto private land or may move clean out of the hunting area and eventually wind up in a new herd. They should have done a drawing and let 5 people hunt it first...you get a 2 week period and so on and so forth until all the rams were taken then open it up for the rest of the ewes/lambs for the residents. They will be lucky not to get someone shot on this hunt either by accident or on purpose arguing over who shot the ram. I grew up in PA and it was crowded in some spots and a buck might have three different people put a bullet in it before it dropped...heated arguments were common...enough rambling just my two cents. I agree with hunting them I just think such a rare and majestic animal deserves better than an over populated free for all!

Well, as a non-res, this really peaked my interest. I'm a blue collar, DIY type of hunter, that most likely will never get a better chance to sheep hunt. I spent a lot of time yesterday researching the area and boundaries. I could not find any info on whether a non-res can buy this tag online when they come available. I have done a couple of successful DIY, fly in hunts in Alaska, and would feel comfortable making a long hike in, with camp on my back, to do a once in a lifetime sheep hunt. I have a black bear hunt scheduled next spring in Alaska, that would probably have to be put on the back burner if I would pursue this sheep hunt, I am worried though, as most have said, that this hunt could be a cluster f--k. I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of seeing several other hunters climbing all over the same area I was hunting.

+1 to 30Hart.

I would go if I didn't have a couple hunts, like I already said, just to get into the mix and maybe kill a sheep.

The point is, this MIGHT be a great cheap way for a hardcore guy to kill a ram, ewe or lamb but there's probably not going to be anything about the hunt which resembles the kind of sheep hunt which I've loved over the years.

I agree with the other posters, the archery season would be my #1 choice because it will have the sheep hunting "feel" whereas the rifle hunt will be more of a cluster F.

I've about whipped this to death.
Zeke

I might just purchase a tag and have it framed for my wall.

"Sure, I had a sheep tag. Here it is!"

Just kidding. I can honestly say I've never put in for sheep nor have I ever had the desire to. It's a sheep.:)

Eel

Wouldn't your best chance to get a ram be on the archery hunt?
There might not be any rams left by the rifle hunt...

What if it is not the sheep carrying the pneumonia? The carrier could be some lonely cowboy living in the area..,,.,

This fiasco will be just that. The locals will have it scouted, and the ones that really know the country will kill the rams. Not much for size in the unit either. I can't wait to read about this in the paper. 125 bucks for a sick sheep is too much. mtmuley

Is anyone planning to participate in this hunt? I have been training 6 days a week and shooting, still debating it.

I was until I found out a good hunting bud hit the AZ sheep lotto. 15D North! NR with way less than max points. I would rather help on that with the last bit of extra vacation I have. But I was planning on it....

I would have got me a tag but its help the pregnant wife or go sheep hunting. FYI they are still available.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom