Outfitters vs DIY

BWO

I'm just curios to hear some thoughts on this question. Besides familiarity or knowledge of a particular unit, what benefits do outfitters provide above and beyond that of an accomplished DIY hunter?

Oh, and knowledge of a particular animal within that unit.

The same animal might have different habits in different geographic areas or you might be hunting an animal to which you're unfamiliar and know nothing about habits and hunting techniques.

Does that help? Why do you ask?

Zeke

I ask because I am considering using an outfitters services. I drew a decent tag this year that I want to make the most of. I'm trying to decide if I will be best served going DIY or guided. I have never been on a guided hunt, so I wanted to hear people's thoughts.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-16 AT 02:23PM (MST)[p]>I ask because I am considering
>using an outfitters services.
>I drew a decent tag
>this year that I want
>to make the most of.
>I'm trying to decide if
>I will be best served
>going DIY or guided. I
>have never been on a
>guided hunt, so I wanted
>to hear people's thoughts.

Fill us in on exactly what you drew and some can probably be of a lot more help to you than just trying to answer a generic question like you've asked. I drew a good tag for deer in Region G in Wyoming last year and went guided to make the most of a tag that I'll never draw again and it worked out great.

Yep, what TG said.

It might depend on the scarcity of the unit tag, species and your size requirement. In most cases you can have a great hunt on your own IF YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT AND PROPER HELP but in other cases you might never make it into the right country.

Please tell us more.

Zeke

Agree with what Zeke said.
I have done the majority of all my hunts DIY. Some special ones I have paid for help to maximize my opportunity.
Because I have never hunted sheep, I have always said I would pay a guide if I ever draw a tag. That would be some tough tag soup to swallow.

I agree with what others have said. If you live close enough to the unit to scout it before your hunt then I wouldn't hesitate to go DIY. But if you are not confident, have never set foot in the unit until the hunt, will not have time to scout, or legally cant hunt the best areas then I wouldn't blame you at all for going guided to "maximize" your opportunity with said tag. I know some people say their trophies mean more because they did it all DIY and that's great. I have trophies that I've harvested DIY and others that are guided, but they all have a story and meaning to them. One other reason for a guide is safety. If you are hunting remote areas and do not have a friend or family that tags along; you could easily find yourself in a bad situation.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I drew a Nevada elk tag. I live within 2 hours of the unit so I have the ability and time to do some scouting. I have several friends that are willing to accompany me, and logistically this hunt is no problem for me. I have always hunted DIY, and I have been successful hunting that way for the most part. I have never taken the chance to look into outfitted hunts before. Several outfitters have sent my flyers in the mail offering their services, and it just got me thinking what opportunities may exist with them as opposed to hunting on my own.
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm usually in favor of going guided in scenarios like this to make the most of your tag. But when you said you were within 2 hours of the unit I changed my mind completely. I'd do DIY no questions, so long as you have the preseason time to devote to it. Way funner that way in my opinion, although I go guided at times. Last year in region g - guided and it was excellent. I can go both ways, but two hours drive to your unit is a luxury.

I guess a question I would have is would it be a financial burden?We chatted the other but I am 12 hours away and it wasn't the best financial timing with a kid in college but I chose to go guided and it worked out great.I didn't get my tag until the end of August but Mitch worked me in.
Maybe go over one weekend and check out the country and see how comfortable you feel doing it yourself.Maybe hunt on your own the 1st week and talk to a guide about a backup plan the last week.Not sure if a guide would do this but on my Utah hunt I went with a guide on a 7 day hunt and we arranged for me to stay in camp and hunt on my own or with a guide or camp cook if they had time.

If you need horses to get into the right country, that might make a difference, if you don't have access to them. Elk are big and packing one a long way out is serious work. That being said, the above info should give you plenty to chew on.

I would add...not all outfitters/guides are equal! If you do go guided, be sure to do your homework about who you go with. Check references, and find out who will be guiding you. You might even make a personal contact to be sure you think you can get along. Some make a hunt a real pleasure, while others are not so easy to stomach.

I have gone both ways. I have to say that a good guide is worth the money, but a bad one could turn your great tag into a not so great experience.

DYI all the way.
Or ask the wife what she thinks. Ha! Don't ask the wife.
You're an elk slayer:) you got this!
Save that 5k for hunts down the road.
You've got a clan who will help you.
Myself included.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

Living that close and especially with friends that are going to help DIY. If you need horses, I'd consider a drop camp or something similar but wouldn't use a guide. Especially if you know "elk"...
Good luck.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Wow, 14 good posts in a row about outfitters that has to be a record. I agree with all of you.

Personally I've never hired an outfitter for a hunt in my home state but if you think the tag you have warrants it and you can afford it go for it.

I've hunted with outfitters I wasn't impressed with, but I've never hunted with an outfitter where I thought I could have done better on my own.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

My dad used to build custom cars, in his garage out back. He wasn't a car builder, he did it for fun. After a lot of work, screw ups, etc, one of his cars won an award at a show. It was quite an accomplishment, considering the amount of payed and professional done cars in the show. The point, what do you want out of it?

If you want the biggest set of antlers to hang on your wall, sure a guide would give you a better chance.

If you want the total experience, and the sense of accomplishment that comes with it then not.

You can hire horse packers to pack you in and out.

Short of sheep hunting with its size requirements, I personally don't see why you would hire given your circumstances. I personally would rather hunt with "my guys" and risk not killing the world record, rather than with someone I don't know. Personal opinion.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

In this case, you should go DIY.

But it wasn't mentioned that outfitters often access lands that the public can't get to. Being on a private ranch has huge advantages. Wish I had the $$ to go with Heatons every year - or even once.

I wouldn't see any advantage to horses-mostly trucks to get around and a quad for recovery could be handy.

I'll echo what other have said.

Nothing wrong with using an outfitter and some guides bring real knowledge to the hunt and can be an fun, entertaining, enjoyable asset. In other words, they actually add to the pleasurable experience of the hunt. Sadly, some do not.

If I only lived 2 hours away, I'd do it on my own but this is YOUR hunt and only YOU can decide what you want out of it. Lots would depend on the quality and quantity of help that you have at you disposal.

With that said, In reality I've used a very limited number of guides and only when required by law.

I agree with Tog, lots of good, positive posts on this thread. Highly unusual for MM.

Zeke

I agree with the positive posts comments. I appreciate hearing everyone's views on this subject. Thank you all for the taking the time to comment.

Just bring your weapon, bedroll, and clothes... Just another reason.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

It really comes down to if you want to hunt for yourself or have someone hunt for you.

If you get the right outfitter you have a much better chance of killing a better quality animal. Of course you run the risk of getting a bad outfitter. If you choose to go with a oufitter, go with the best, or dont bother.

Personally, I would rather hunt myself and do the best I can on my own.

NMPaul,
The few guided hunts I've been on felt nothing like the guide was hunting FOR but rather WITH me.
If you're a good hunter and have a good guide, there's an exchange of ideas and plans and the hunter is accompanied on the hunt, not dragged around by his ear.
Like I said, not all hunters are like me and not all guides are good ones. I've been very lucky I guess. There are a few guide's name which will always grace my lips with reverence!
Zeke
PS: if I live within 2 hours I'd certainly go unguided but not solo DIY. Elk are just too damn big and the distances are too great to go it alone. Good luck.

I would also have to say that, generally speaking, going on a guided hunt verses DIY is less stressful. Like was alluded to above, just bring your gun, some gear, and the tag.

Good luck on your hunt!

I have helped with 3 Idaho sheep tags over the last 10 years.
The first 2 we did diy, we probably spent 8k in scouting, equipment, and time.
The last hunt we had a guide, it was a tag for my father in law.
We were on sheep day 1, and spent no time scouting. All were great hunts! Diy, and guided both have their places!

The biggest problem with hiring guides and outfitters is simple. You never really know what you are going to get. You may get a great experience or a nightmare from hell. You can do homework on the subject of who to hire and still get a lemon. You may get a burned out guide or outfitter that just wants to fill your tag and send you down the road.

I think DIY is the way to go if you have the time to scout and learn an area. The sense of accomplishment from doing it on your own will far exceed the benefit derived from hiring an outfitter.

just sayin...mh

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-16 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]I'd disagree with just about everything you've noted. You do know what you're getting if you do your homework about the outfitter and talk to their successful and unsuccessful hunters. If they won't give you names, go to a different outfitter. I've hunted with the same outfitter the past 5 years and will be again this year. I've also learned more about G hunting with these guys than I could've in 10 years of DIY unless I had horses. I also hunt DIY every year and get every bit as much satisfaction from my guided hunts. Point is, its different for everyone depending on your expectations.

What I notice more than anything is its a case of the haves and have not's. The majority of the guys who oppose guided hunts have never done a guided hunt and a large percentage of those probably couldn't afford one anyway.

An outfitters reputation means everything to the good ones and not so much to the bad ones.
I too disagree with mightyhunter, in that you can for sure know what you are getting into before hand if you do serious investigation. Asking the outfitter for references from both successful and unsuccessful hunters can help with that detective work. Getting a reduced price can also be a red flag.

I have been on four guided hunts and with each, I knew up front what I was getting. I did not know my guides before hand, but I was assured by many references that all the guides were top notch. It really helps if you have a friend that has hunted with the outfit to get reliable info.

Doing it DIY will always cost you more than you think, given all the scouting, etc. But some like it that way, and good on them if they do!

I have been on at least 12-15 guided hunts. I swore off them about 10 years ago, after I realized I did not enjoy them as much as DIY hunts.
Some of them were downright horrible.
It really is a personal choice. It really is a personal choice as to what you enjoy. In my case it is not a case of haves or have not.

At the end of the day, you are going hunting.
Yeah!
Don't let yourself knitpick every last detail until the decision becomes a burden. More than likely you have a gut feeling brewing on this. Trust it, either way, and enjoy the opportunity.
And post pics!

I am glad that some forum members disagree with me about DIY vs. Outfitters. Unfortunately, I have been contacted too many times by hunters who have had a bad experience with so called "good outfitters". I still maintain that you do not know what you are getting from year to year. Did his good guides walk? Did he lose a hunt area? Is he overbooked? Has he got unresolved family issues? Is he trying to sell the business? Past references are a good thing but don't always give the whole picture of what to expect.

I guided in an adjacent state for an outfitter. That outfitter has been in business for over 30 years. I am sure most would consider him a good guy. I listened to what he said and actually saw what he did. He was always cutting corners and hoping that no one noticed.It cured me of any further desire to guide.

In this area (NW Wyoming), the outfitters over hunt the mule deer resource with the assistance of the USFS and the blind eye of Game and Fish. The brochures claim bucks of trophy size. The pictures of the bucks they post on their internet websites were usually taken many years ago or were taken by hunters not hunting with the outfitter. I see what they harvest from year to year. With many, you are lucky to get a 140 inch muley for your $ 3,500 to $ 4,000 spent.

It is a good sign that we don't all agree on the subject. That means there are still some good outfitters around. I prefer DIY hunting by myself or with my sons. I have considered hiring an outfitter should I ever draw my Wyoming sheep tag. I even know who I would hire if I had that tag. I just don't think it would be as meaningful an experience for me if I didn't do it DIY. I am fortunate to live in Wyoming where I can spend months on end scouting and hiking an area.

just sayin...mh

When I look at some of the genuine trophies I've taken not once does it bother me someone else was there ( a guide ) when I took him. getting the same animal or likely something smaller on my own wouldn't make it any sweeter for me.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I've never been willing to pay the money for a guide, except when I did a couple of caribou hunts in Canada, where it was required.

The size of my kill has never been as important to me as a lot of other things associated with the hunt. I always hunt for mature animals and for the last 25 years have left many tags unfilled because I couldn't find or wasn't man enough to fill the tag with the critter I wanted.

I started hunting as a nine year old, on my own or with good friends. Our Dads weren't hunters. Too busy farming or whatever. I have always loved the environment and the personal challenge but if the extra funds had been available I may have tried an outfitter a time or two. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with going guided, if that feels good to you. One of my son's has being in the guiding business for about ten years, it's darn hard work.

My thinking is more along the lines that I'll be really happy with a 160"/170 " buck or 320" bull than I would spending 4 to 6 thousand dollars with the hopes of taking a larger one. For me, I don't need the expensive wild meat, and the biggest rack on the mountain isn't absolutely necessary, as long as it's a mature animal.

There are many hard working guides and outfitters but like every profession, some not so good and not so profressional. Do the very best research before you hire one, goes without saying. MM had many examples of horror stories about bad outfitter/guides.

Wish you the best on your Nevada elk hunt, do what ever it takes to make it a positive memory.......for you.

I do not have a high post count, but I have actually been posting on this site for about 10 years. The thoughtful responses in this post are exactly why I joined up in the first place. I appreciate the time everyone took to respond. Thank you!
I have decided to go DIY. It is all I know and how I have always hunted. Thank you all for the well wishes.

I have only been on one guided hunt that was given to me by a friend in Texas. Had a great time with my guide and would do it again. Actually ended up just shed hunting the last day. Not quite a western hunt but my guide worked his butt off to find game

Blue Wing, I went DIY for my NV elk hunt with a bow last year. Met many outfitters and I have been on outfitted hunts before. Both times I went guided were in WY and I could not stand the hand holding that comes with the outfitters. Going guided makes it their hunt and not yours. In my experience, you will always be under there umbrella wither you like it or not when you contract there services.

Having said that, I have met some fantastic guides out there who are not condescending and hunt with you like you are their friend. On another note, you do get to beat up the guides vehicles and not yours.

So how did my DIY hunt go last year? I scouted 8 days prior to the hunt and really learned the roads. I saw a ton of animals leading up to the hunt. However, the bulls will travel from where you scout and will generally not be anywhere you scouted from. You only get a general picture of the quality of animals you will be going for when you go preseason.

I shot my elk on opening day in his bed at noon. They were whistling like crazy and this was around the 25th of August. Being that archery success for the unit was around 40%, I decided to go for the largest mature bull I could find every day. My elk was around 320 and I saw legit bulls that would reach the 400 mark on the unit preseason. If I had a guide with me, he probably would have had me hold off for better.

All my friends had there own hunts to go on during this time and I was solo. After getting him out in 24 hours, I was overcome with one of the largest feelings of gratitude and success I have ever felt. Nothing will top that.

I have decided to save the guiding for when I am older and will need someone to hold my hand. I also like the idea of using a guide for a wilderness WY hunt who has horses. Make it your hunt and just have fun. You will have no regrets.

89115elknevada2015.htm.jpg

Since you've already made your mind up for a DIY hunt this is just general advise.
If you decide to use a guide, do your homework. Have them give you pictures and contacts from RECENT hunts (the past couple years) and make sure at least some of the animals they show you were harvested with the guide(s) that will be taking YOU. Some outfits employ a lot of folks and have been around for a long time so the more specific you can be the better. Also talk to your potential guide before you book the hunt. That way you can make sure your personalities mesh and you are more likely to have a better time. I can't think of any other reason to hire an outfitter/guide than what has already been mentioned.

From a guides point of view....I much rather enjoy "guiding" folks who are just as passionate about hunting as I am! As has been mentioned, a good guide will hunt with you rather than for you when you have the skills.
There is no better feeling than to work hard with your hunter and walk up to the animal they have harvested and see the excitement and satisfaction in their eyes!

I agree with what Brett mentioned. In addition there are a few other things to watch out for in making a guide selection. When you contact the outfitter, ask him if he knows who the guide will be, if he has ever personally hunted with the guide, if either the outfitter or the guide have ever hunted the unit for the tag. These things seem silly, but it's a common problem of outfitters that are in the business for the wrong reasons. There are some outfitters who will book a hunt, then try to figure out someone to guide, often someone they've never even hunted with, on a unit that neither of them have business booking a client for. If your guide doesn't spend a large amount of time on your unit, every year, you should find someone who does. Likewise, if the outfitter doesn't spend a large amount of time on that unit every year, everything he is trying to sell you on is just blowing smoke.

A good guide will do as you want him to. No hand-holding if that's not what you want. It's your hunt...you paid for it.

As I age, I book more hunts; 1-2 per year, depending on what I draw out of state. I don't need anyone to "hold my hand". What I DO need is supper ready when I get back to camp. A place to sleep when I get back to camp. Breakfast. Lunch. Someone who knows the area; or access to private land. Memories. I'm willing to pay someone to do that for me, because I don't want to deal with all that anymore. I don't need to be babied, though. I still have a little toughness left in me. ;)

However, in this case, I would definitely go DIY.

If you let or want your guide to hold your hand, he will.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom