Pacific Crest Trail

mozey

Long Time Member
The Continental Divide Trail was such an epic experience for me that all I could think about was doing another one. Went through the lottery process and got a permit to hike the PCT over the next six months (or however long it takes me). I'm almost 80 miles in now (Julian). The weather has not been the most cooperative so my progress has been hindered, but still getting to live the dream. Lots of unexpected rain and snow to start, but then something flipped a switch and the heat was brutal today.

IMG_20240322_162344_406~2.jpg

IMG_20240322_163116_285~3.jpg

IMG_20240322_201328_911~2.jpg

IMG_20240323_065522_286~2.jpg

IMG_20240323_084408_384~2.jpg

IMG_20240323_171041_902~2.jpg

IMG_20240325_170850_133~2.jpg

Recently spent several hours watching some great vids of people doing this and the Divide Trail. Pretty epic adventure.!! Good luck!

All the best this year Mozey. Thanks for checking in. Give eelgrass a big Howdy on the way north!

Congratulations Mosey! I crossed the Pacific Crest Trail once in the Marble Mountain Wilderness in northern CA. Take a fishing pole because there is good trout fishing there. If the trail was about 2,640 miles shorter, I'd be right there with you. 😃

my dream is one day to hike this trail with my daughter. something we have always talked about. we'll see if life lines up for the two of us. she's 20 and her goal is a PHD right now.

when you cross 410 you'll be in the area where i've killed a lot of elk on that trail. mid September is when the through hikers hit that spot. shared plenty of camp fires with weary travellers up there trying to beat the high snow. good luck

Hiking to the land of the Washington State Libtards.

A great PCT goal but a good place to be FROM.
Congrats on your move to Idaho Residency Mr Joe.
Should I start to worry? Seems you have an un healthy infatuation with me. I’m married, and straight, so you might need to find another stalking target. Sorry to break your heart

This is a PCT thread.
Please move along.
"when you cross 410 you'll be in the area where i've killed a lot of elk on that trail."

This explains a lot.

LOL :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

your so worked up into a lather over me you can't remember starting something in a thread from this morning!!!

like i said. rent free! too funny

my dream is one day to hike this trail with my daughter. something we have always talked about. we'll see if life lines up for the two of us. she's 20 and her goal is a PHD right now.

when you cross 410 you'll be in the area where i've killed a lot of elk on that trail. mid September is when the through hikers hit that spot. shared plenty of camp fires with weary travellers up there trying to beat the high snow. good luck
That sounds awesome, I wish my daughters were in a situation where they could do this with me. Just a word of caution: the older you get, the harder the hiking gets.

That sounds awesome, I wish my daughters were in a situation where they could do this with me. Just a word of caution: the older you get, the harder the hiking gets.
for sure. i've done several sections backpacking but never a through hike. like i said shared many a campfire with through hikers. met some really neat people. i hear there are some pretty boring sections through southern oregon, i guess vista wise but it's about the total experience.

good for you man, that's going to be a awesome trip. what's your trail name? lots of the folks i ran into would only go by their "trail name" met a moonshine and a handsome one time that sticks out

Have a great adventure.
How long have you been planning this? Must take A LOT of preparation and logistics. You having family and friends meet at certain spots to help replenish supplies?

Made to Warner Springs post office to pick up my first resupply box. Passed mile 100 yesterday. Hiked 24 miles and the worst part was a 14-mile water carry up a desert mountain, but that sounds worse than it actually was.

Understand the forecast is not too good this weekend and last weekend I discovered I have a significant leak in my trusty old tent. So I'm looking for a place to bail off for a couple days until I can either repair or replace my tent.

IMG_20240328_185817_499.jpg

The trail provides. Me and another guy were standing at his tent trying to decide whether we should try to weather the oncoming storm or hike out of there. Suddenly a day hiker going the opposite way shows up and agreed to give us a ride to the nearest town with a vacancy. Looks like I'll be holed up here for a couple days, but feeling very fortunate.

Have a great adventure.
How long have you been planning this? Must take A LOT of preparation and logistics. You having family and friends meet at certain spots to help replenish supplies?
I've been planning this since the moment I completely the CDT in 2022. But last year I had a bunch of unexpected consulting opportunities come to me, so I postponed my plans for a year. Based on the Sierra snowpack last year, I think I may have dodged a bullet... 😎

My two nephews did the Pacific Trail a few years ago. I got worried about them at one point, so I called my sister to check on their progress. She said they took two weeks off to go to Las Vegas and Hawaii.

Flew to San Diego on Wednesday, caught an Uber to Warner Springs, made it to Idyllwild today. Right now it's raining, so my new tent is being put to the test immediately. So far so good.

I don't know if it's because of the intense sun and relatively few water sources, but the miles have been harder than previously. It may be that I'm out of shape after being off trail for eleven days.

Either way, it feels good to be back.

IMG_20240411_082741_767~2.jpg

IMG_20240411_064545_069~2.jpg

IMG_20240413_095315_508~2.jpg

IMG_20240412_125343_986~2.jpg

IMG_20240410_161030_170~2.jpg

IMG_20240413_095202_266~2.jpg

Flew to San Diego on Wednesday, caught an Uber to Warner Springs, made it to Idyllwild today. Right now it's raining, so my new tent is being put to the test immediately. So far so good.

I don't know if it's because of the intense sun and relatively few water sources, but the miles have been harder than previously. It may be that I'm out of shape after being off trail for eleven days.

Either way, it feels good to be back.

View attachment 142492

View attachment 142493

View attachment 142494

View attachment 142495

View attachment 142496

View attachment 142497
Let us know how you like the Durston tent. And have a great walk

Let us know how you like the Durston tent. And have a great walk
My Zpack's Duplex was an awesome tent--lasted me thru the entire CDT, stone and dall hunts, plus a number of other excursions. It was just starting to show it's age. For what it is, it also has generous horizontal space so that I could keep all my gear inside the tent with me. My one complaint was its low profile, which on condensation days made it difficult for me to keep my head or feet from getting wet whenever I even slightly sat up.

That's why the Durston caught my attention. With the steeper walls and slightly higher profile, I'm able to sit up without brushing the sides. It has more vertical space, but lacks horizontal space for my gear, which now resides in the vestibule.

But based on the weather that I've encountered so far on this trail, that's a trade-off that I'm willing to make right now. We've had pretty solid rain the last two days, and thus far the Durston is keeping me dry.

Idyllwild to Big Bear Lake turned into an unexpected slog, plus I had a little bit of a freakish incident that made me think I should hole up for a couple days in Big Bear Lake.

I've been hiking with another 60-ish year old hiker from Fairbanks, AK, that goes by the trail name Duck Soup. A lot of hikers have been skipping the trail section that we just did, because large sections of it have been washed out. But Duck Soup and I were crazy and stubborn (or stupid) enough to go for it. The nine-mile slog up Mission Creek was a boulder-hopping ankle breaker in soggy shoes. That was followed by a steep ridge climb out of the canyon where we climbed 1,700 feet in 1.7 miles. We actually spent the night in the one flat spot that was about half way up that ridge.

The next morning after making it the rest the way up that ridge and joining back up with the trail, the trail switched to the north side of the mountain, and we were post holing it in knee deep icy snow for about a mile to a place called Coons Cabin.

From there the trail got much easier and we made good time down to mile 250 where the trail intersected a road. I was almost out of water, so we stopped to collect from a small trickle that was snow melt off a still large sheet of icy snow. As I was bent over, I saw little sparkles in the mud and I commented to Duck Soup, who is a retired gold miner, that there was some gold in the mud. As I stood up and back so that he could look, I just remember feeling dizzy. The next thing I knew Duck Soup was shaking me violently: "Mozey! Mozey! Wake up! You passed out!" As I regained consciousness, my head felt like I'd been hit with a baseball bat and my neck hurt. As I sat up there was blood dripping from my head into the depression in the snow where my head had just been. According to Duck Soup, I'd just led with my forehead in a face plant right into that sheet of icy snow. I don't know what caused it, but I've never had anything like that happen to me before.

Anyway, despite me insisting I was ok, Duck Soup convinced me that we should take it easy the rest of day and we set up camp pretty early that night. To my good fortune, another PCT hiker came into our camp that night that was an ICU nurse. After relating the event to him, he was convinced it was just a combination of dehydration, heat, elevation change, being bent over with my head below my heart for an extended period, etc that all came together at the wrong time that caused my black out. As long I don't have any repeats, I should be fine. But, I should take it easier for a couple days.

Saturday, I woke up feeling anxious to hike the last ten miles to Big Bear, and dragged Duck Soup along with me, and we made it to the highway before noon. When we got to the motel, Duck Soup took off his shoes and for the first time I saw his feet and ankles, which were swollen, blistered, and bloody. Dude is a trooper and I'm going to miss hiking with him as he will be getting off trail in about 15 more miles.

I haven't felt any additional symptoms since my incident on Friday and plan to get back on trail this morning.

IMG_20240417_165540_391~2.jpg

IMG_20240415_155038_250~2.jpg

IMG_20240415_154538_349~2.jpg

IMG_20240415_180935_493~2.jpg

IMG_20240416_101657_920~2.jpg

IMG_20240418_060338_059~2.jpg

IMG_20240418_144943_801~2.jpg

IMG_20240418_185620_436~2.jpg

IMG_20240419_080656_465~2.jpg

IMG_20240420_112315_680~2.jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos