Pack for a Bad Back

hntnfool

What pack out there has the best lumbar support for someone with a disc problem? Both a day pack or a full on pack. I have been using a Cabelas packframe for heavy loads and a Crooked Horn day pack for blacktails. I just blew out a disc, had surgery, and I think it might be time to upgrade.

Your question deserves more input than who makes the best pack. 1st of course is your weight in line with your height? Can your strengthen your lower back and stomach muscles with: leg lifts, side bends, crunches, etc. There are many excersises that can be done at different levels to do this.I would consult your Ortho doc about this.
I would also consider getting the best boots you can afford with arch supports. There is information here for that also. As far as packs...Badlands makes great hunting packs or you can go with the upscale/lighweight backpacking packs like REI sells. There are a of discussions here about packs you can get answers to this question but strengthening, stretching are going to be as important as the best pack. Happy Hunting, Matt

find a pack that has a good hip belt. You need to shift the weight off your shoulders.

I think I have decided on the Badlands 2200, it will keep the weight off my shoulders and it's small enough to keep me from overloading it, and my back.

I would suggest a gregory pack. Backpacker magazine rates these packs "editors choice".

Like Dancing said!! Conditioning will help more than you'd ever believe. One of my huntin buddies worked out 5 days a week with me from Nov 06-June 07. His back didn't bother him at all after years of chronic problems. We even did squats, standing curls, and dead lifts. He quit working out and now he's contemplating surgery. He may have had an event that reinjuried it but he's not sure.

I hurt my back in "96". I was bent over and in pain for 2 months with no improvement. I started working out and it got better. When I regularly work my back, I have no problems. When I don't and do somethiing like load/unload hay or cut firewood, I'm stiff for days.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom