Packable Fly Rod Setup

Trapline

My backcountry camp site this year is next to a creek that offers some trout fishing. I have never fly fished before and want to give it a shot while we are down there. Since it is a 2000’ elevation drop and we will have camp on our backs looking for some suggestions on packable options for a fly rod and reel. Anyone pack a fly rod?

1st time buy inexpensive. There are a lot of youtube videos for advice. My suggestion is buy a 4 wt. If you decide you like it, a 4 wt. can be used on a lot of water later if you like it. Practice casting before you go. You won’t need long casts, but accurate casts. Presentation means as much as the fly. Go on YouTube for suggestions as to what flys to use for where you are going. The choices are endless. Most western waters the same basic patterns will work well. Again PRESENTATION. You won’t know any of this until you do it. If you are high up and fishing brookies, you will catch fish. I hope it get you hooked. Fly fishing is an art learned over a lifetime, worth the effort to learn for the pure enjoyment.

Indeed , smaller would be better. As said it’s learned over a lifetime. Didn’t know they made a 7.5 rod? If you live close would be happy to lend ya some gear. Not sure if yer eyes are bad like mine but puttin tipit through a fly sucks these days without my glasses and I don’t hunt in glasses.

Indeed , smaller would be better. As said it’s learned over a lifetime. Didn’t know they made a 7.5 rod? If you live close would be happy to lend ya some gear. Not sure if yer eyes are bad like mine but puttin tipit through a fly sucks these days without my glasses and I don’t hunt in glasses.
I love fishing for brookies. I was in an Orvis store today to buy their cap showing a fly pattern. I looked at rods and am thinking of buying a 3wt 7 1/2’ rod. The brand of rod, only means something to the buyer. When I was starting out and starting a family, I had a Pfluger fly rod. It was and is a good fly rod. Not sure why I answered you post, but I recognize you know what you are talking about. I have the same problem tying flys.

Trapline, a reel only holds line. It’s not important, but I am thinking of my early days fly fishing. If you can afford it, go to a fly shop a have them set you up. They will set you up with a really good rod, reel, line, backer, leader, etc. based upon how much money you want to spend. In a fly shop it won’t be cheap. But it doesn’t need to be expensive. Amazon has it all.

I pack mine. Great thing about fly fishing is you don’t need much, certainly not a tackle box. Just go down to sportsman’s and buy their 5 weight rod that comes with the carrying case. It’s under 200 bucks and straps nice to the outside if your pack

Have any of you guys used a Tenkara rod with no reel?
I worked with a guy who loved to fly fish, and he was also into back packing. Every summer, he would backpack for a week in the Wind River's, and he always used Tenkara rod, he said that was ideal for backpacking, took up alot less room than a regular fly rod and reel.
If any of you guys know anything about Tenkara, it might be something trapline would be interested in

Take a look at "TFO" Brand. Comes in a packable case. Lifetime warranty. My buddy closed his in the tailgate, they replaced it no questions asked in just a few days.

All my back packing fishing trips have included a telescoping ultra-light spinning rod and reel. They're easier to cast on small brushy creeks. Plus, if you're a fly fisherman you have the added weight of carrying the Bud Light beer. :)

I worked with a guy who loved to fly fish, and he was also into back packing. Every summer, he would backpack for a week in the Wind River's, and he always used Tenkara rod, he said that was ideal for backpacking, took up alot less room than a regular fly rod and reel.
If any of you guys know anything about Tenkara, it might be something trapline would be interested in
They’ll work great of creeks snd rivers are all your fishing, a high mountain lake in late summer can make any one look like a professional fly fisherman though. You’ll want a reel and some line to get out on those.

A fly rod broke down in a case really isn’t a huge burden strapped to a pack.

My boy uses a Tenkara all the time, I'm not a fan but he loves it...

Take a look at "TFO" Brand. Comes in a packable case. Lifetime warranty. My buddy closed his in the tailgate, they replaced it no questions asked in just a few days.
Yes, TFO's are good and so are Moonshine Rods, I have 3 Moonshines and I really like how they cast....

I'd go with a spin outfit unless you've fly fished some before. You're there a short time and fly fishing can be a tad frustrating. I've caught a lot of trout with very minimal spin gear (even a branch with a little line and a hook!)

A couple of Cave Dwelling Geese

Geese.jpg

Small icefishing type rod with a little spinning reel works. Just drop the line and let the fly float down. Fished a lot of alpine streams in MT that were 3 to 4ft across with small cutthroat in them maybe 6 to 8in max and this setup works great when you can't cast due to cover or the stream being to small.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom