pads vs. cots

elkin44

We have always used lite weight cots for our elk hunts, this year we need to update a couple of them and was thinking of purchasing a sleeping pad. Anyone have any comments or recommendations on sleeping pads?? or should we just stay with cots.

Pads may keep you warmer but they need some sort of vapor barrier between them and the ground/tent floor/etc... Cots may be more comfortable (that's a matter of opinion though), but they add bulk and weight. Personally I'm a minimalist so I say go with the egg crate pad and sew a piece of waterproof/resistant backing around it, although you could probably buy the same thing for less than it will cost you to make it, and set up on some long grass that you matt down. I don't really like the "air" pads, thermarest and such, you end up with pockets of air in all the wrong places and still have to deal with ground hardness.

I love cots. I have the extra room so I bring the cots: a good night's rest is paramount.

If you're using cots you must be by your truck or four wheeler. When I'm by them I use both a cot and a 4 inch foam pad. One or two Tylenol PMs. and you sleep like you need to. I bought some cots from Campmore. They are only about 6 inches off the ground but support very well.

Pad on top of a cot, only way to go if truck camping. I went camping this past weekend up to Strawberry and in the rush to get out of town forgot my cot, so slept on the ground on my pad and had bugs crawling on me all weekend.

A cot with a pad under is the ticket....plus it gives you somewhere to put your stuff when you are out to keep them dry if it rains, My brother and i packed them up to alaska on our moose and caribou hunt and it saved us from sleeping in puddles of water, and many miserable nights... worth the weight and space they took up....

If your over fifty, the cot, with the pad, motren 800 mil, a six pack of beer and a shot of jack. Then you will be able to sleep about three hours before you have to get up and move!

Thanks

Brownie

I added a Cabelas cot pad to my Taj Majal set-up. 4 inches of the most body loving foam makes me one happy sleeper!

I sleep on pads all the time....back-country llama-pack-in hunts.

IF the truck is doing the work, I always use a cot and a pad. Warm and comfortable.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

When I was 20
1 thin blanket

Almost 60
1 cot
2 4" foam pads
4 400mg vitamin "I" (Ibuprofen)
1 ambien

And like previously mentioned, it is good until about 4AM.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom