Panguitch Lake Elk

mtntophunter

Good Morning Everyone I'm a Non-Res and have been putting in for Elk for Panguitch Lake for quite sometime now (10 BP) I know I have a long time to go (if ever) to draw a tag. I have been going there since I was 3 (41 years ) and ABSOLUTELY love the place and always has been my only choice to hunt. My question is if i'm looking for a great hunt and a good quality size-able Elk, am I cutting myself short not putting in for other units? Please let me know what you think. Thank you for any input.

Mark-

You have the upper hand on the Panguitch. you know the area already. say you put in for a new area are you going to be able to devote enough time preseason to really learn the area? knowing an elk area, even just roads and terrain, will greatly improve your chances at success.

What weapon is it that you want to hunt? I'm gonna guess early rifle? Listing which weapon will help with the responses.

Thanks for responding Mr. Hezzy - It will probably be Rifle or Muzzleloader I'm not quite there yet with a bow. Appreciate the help.

Mark-

Looks like it has put out two of the biggest elk in the state the last couple years (bess bulls), and I think you are just about there point wise. Like mentioned above if you know panguitch it you'll have a tough time doing any better in another unit, especially if you are wanting to draw sooner more than later.

Thanks Mr. Lang....thats what a couple have told of me and I thought I seen one of the bulls in a picture.

Thanks again for the help!

usually 1 400 inch bull off it every year or 2, . Avg bull is 310-330, but bigger is doable.

I think its a good unit especially seeing how you already know it a bit

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-13 AT 09:26AM (MST)[p]The two big bulls are from timber mountain outfitters. timbermtnoutfitters.com Both bulls are unreal. Don't know if san juan or pahvant would treat you any better, but they would make you wait longer to hunt.

Thanks, I looked on their website and you are right they are unreal! Definitely going to look at all options, Panguitch just feels like home....but i'm not afraid to get out of that comfort zone either..for a Non-Res it would a long time before I draw another one-if at all!

i live here so yes plenty of experience. I hunted panguitch in 09 on archery. missed 2 nice bulls( was a tough hunt that year) huntted it in 07 with a buddy( much better hunt) killed a 360, hunted with a guy on a late hunt in 2011 for a couple days.
Not an expert on the unit but hunted deer a lot on it. most of my hunting upo there is on archery.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom