Panguitch Lake Elk

coyoteslayer

anybody have this tag last year? I have heard bad reports coming from this unit, but would like some first hand knowledge if anybody has any. Thanks

i had archery tag in 09 it was horrible. it was the first year of spike hunting and everybody thought they would get a spike and hunted it hard for spike. weather was bad. it was just was a terrible year in 09/. i spent a little time in 2010 on it and things were considerbly better and way way less spike hunters ravaging it during archery. i think everyone faired better on the unit this year. its still a tough hunt but hopefully it never compares to the 09 season again

350 is big and average is more like 300. I drew in 2007 and did OK, but since then it has gone way down hill. I live and work near by. I would not burn any points here, but would accept an expo tag!

NG

That unit is tough, flat and thick. You have to get some insider knowledge to do well. Lots of just flat blowdown black timber.

I got lucky and drew in '08 before the spike hunts took effect. I am a NR and hired an outfitter, best thing I ever did as it all looks "elky". I have talked to my outfitter since and says the unit has gone down hill fast! I shot this bull on the 7th day of hunting with very sporadic bugling. We hunted places you couldn't have shot a bull at 10 yards due to the heavy cover.

forgot the pic!

1201img_0083_0109_109.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-11 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]yes i hunted the most the hunt i logged around like 20 days of hunting if i remeber right. when i had the tag they only gave us 5 days without spike hunters. but the damage had already been done and 5 days was not enough to cool things down

sukie great bull! i like the snake like brow thats awesome.

Bow hunting is hardly ever easy, but that one sounded tough. My respect and apologies at the same time. I spent around 20 days this year on another unit bow hunting, it was tough at times, but not near as tough as this unit sounds.

yes archery elk hunting is no easy task but i had hunted with buddies on this unit previous years and it was a much better hunt. i even hunted deer and spike on this unit this year a couple days just to see if there was a diff. there was not nearly the spike hunting pressure as the year before. i actually could have killed a 340 bull fairly easily this year if i had a tag. but ive whined and moaned about my hunt eough . its unfortunate the way it was but there is nothing i can do about it.

The unit is down. But still a good elk hunt for 300 plus bulls. Plan on hunting hard the entire hunt.

There is a reason there are no cow hunts on there...we killed off the herd. There are still elk but not nearly as many as their used to be and they are more spread out. The success rates have been awful over the past few years. I would avoid that place until the herd gets bigger again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom