Paunsaugunt Bull Elk

gilster00

Someone must've turned in their permit because I received a call from DWR that my name came up for an alternate LE Bull Muzzleloader hunt in the Paunsaugunt. With only 3 points, I felt this was a great opportunity. I’ve read that Paunsaugunt has a very low population of elk, but I’m still very excited at the opportunity to hunt some beautiful countryside and will do my best to turn this challenge into an opportunity. An outfitter isn’t in the budget, so planning to do this hunt DIY on public land. My brother-in-law has kindly offered to come along, and we’ll be doing several scouting trips to the area before the season begins on 9/26. We plan to start looking on top around Tropic Reservoir, but wondered if anyone more familiar with the area might be willing to share any local knowledge of where they’ve encountered elk in the past? Not looking for exact GPS coordinates, just any general information of what folks have been seeing would be very much appreciated. If we can be of any assistance to other hunters who’ll be in the area around that time, please let me know. If you’d rather send a PM, that works too. Thank you!

I read somewhere just recently that someone was scouting for deer up on top and saw nothing but elk. Sounds like he saw well over 100. So that's should be some good news for someone with an elk tag.

Thank you. Yes, I did see that post from cannonball a week or so ago and was encouraged to hear that. Hopefully I can help reduce the population by one bull. We'll definitely start looking on top, but was curious if guys were seeing any elk to the south - maybe near Alton or Glendale? I know private property can be an issue in that area, but was wondering if it might be worth scouting the public land down that direction too?

If you decide to hunt on the Glendale bench, south of Alton, check all four sides of the Skutumpah Ranch. Sometimes you’ll see’em there.

All the best.

I have been down there a few times during the hunts. We found them all over the unit. We found a lot along whiteman bench and East towards the border of the park. We found them in the middle like 2lumpy said, on the Glendale bench over towards Skutumpah. We camped just South of Daves Hollow in the pines. And from there we would ride south and see the, since thats kind of the start of Whiteman Bench.

Good luck!

I've always had good luck seeing elk up Whiteman bench and also up on the loop road around the pink cliffs right at first light.

I've hunted Paunsaugunt L.E. elk (all archery hunts) four times if you count that I drew the AR301 tag twice when they had that.

If you decide to hunt on the Glendale bench, south of Alton, check all four sides of the Skutumpah Ranch. Sometimes you’ll see’em there.

All the best.
What are all four sides? I have found the creek and the road, but not the ranch.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom