Paunsaugunt Winter Kill

So awesome that we have this data - while it is a relatively small sample, it tells a much more trustworthy story than some random dude like Elkass riding in his truck with a couple lawyers telling us the sky is falling. :ROFLMAO:

Certainly some rough pockets for adult and fawn survival (to be expected in northern units), but overall this is encouraging. Elk are doing very well despite the really hard winter, which is what you would expect with their relative hardiness.

So awesome that we have this data - while it is a relatively small sample, it tells a much more trustworthy story than some random dude like Elkass riding in his truck with a couple lawyers telling us the sky is falling. :ROFLMAO:
You Might Wanna Re-Think That!

The Proof Will Be At The End Of The Day When The Ride Has Been Completed!

Certainly some rough pockets for adult and fawn survival (to be expected in northern units), but overall this is encouraging. Elk are doing very well despite the really hard winter, which is what you would expect with their relative hardiness.

I dont believe what the say Jake. South slope wasn’t that lucky.
This is an independent byu research program they have no incentive to fudge the numbers. Is all this shows is what the collared deer are surviving, and how many are died and what they died of.

They do get help from the biologists, and game wardens to go and investigate what happens when an animal dies, but everything is documented with each death.

The areas on the south slope I've been to the deer seemed to be in decent shape, I haven't been out as much this year but what I have seen has not been overly alarming. But I'm sure there have been areas hit harder.

I didn’t say it was lies. I don’t think a few collected deer tells a very good picture.
Fair enough, but it does tell a more complete story then we have ever had before, and rather than blind speculation it is hard evidence as to what is going on.

Whether it is a big enough sample size to extrapolate it to the entire population is yet to be determined, and I think they would tell you the same thing. But it is hard data and is extremely useful.

Everybody Put In for The PAUNS!

I Seen Two 40"ERS Last Fall Down There!

You Might Need Your Kuiu Arizona Version of Camo Though!:D

I grew up down there and from what my friend and family have told me, it was a pretty normal year when it comes to winter kill. The drought has severely limited fawn recruitment on that unit, and the Zion general unit, over the past several years. Personally, I think this will be a great year to draw and hunt the Paunsaugunt. If you look at the Rangeland Analysis Platform and run data for that area, forage availability has been down trending for a decade, but I guarantee you it will spike back up this year. The whole seed bank will grow this spring. It's going to be a whole new world by late May. ?

I have a hard time believing that Pauns deer died from winterkill this year. They are highly migratory and leave the upper elevations quite early and generally prior to even the first snow storms. Snow depths on their winter grounds generally aren't that deep and nearly every day this year from Jan to March the days were above freezing temps.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom