Pearsons ranch unit 15 ????

kykiller

I've been hunting unit 15 first muzzy for the last three years in a row DIY stlye cver in the N.W. corner of the unit.I've had fairly good success in that area and I have pretty good knowledge of that area since I've spent so much time over there.Anyways a buddy of mine was thinking about trying out this Pearsons ranch down by old horse springs in the S.E. corner of the unit(http://pearsonranchjerky.com/)and i was looking for any info that anyone had about their operation and the quality of bulls that have been taken from that ranch.I know the have about 5500acres and about 1000 of that is high fenced hunting(which i have no interest in doing)but any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated,thanx.

Just got back from a elk hunt last week at horse springs for a bull. RO tag in unit 15 and we got a nice 360 type bull. this ranch was more like 30,000 acres and we saw bulls everywhere. Im pretty sure however that you will be a little dissapointed with the pearson ranch from what I've heard about them. Just my two cents.

"Pearson Ranch" is a SCAM!!!

My son and I hunted with Marvin of Pearson Ranch on the first muzzy hunt 2010. Our dream hunt was a NIGHTMARE. Let me begin by saying that Marvin Cromwell is giving good outfitters in New Mexico a bad name. It was simply the worst hunting experience of my life. Ill just briefly hit some of the highlights.

*There is no "Pearson Ranch" Marvin has no private land to hunt outside of the high fence!

*His high fence is a joke. Couldnt be more than 20 acres, your met at the gate by starving elk, the place is littered with trash like a junkyard and I just wonder where the NMDGF is on this issue. Is there no oversight?

*Our lodging was supposed to be at the cabin on the website http//pearsonranchjerky.com but when we arrived we learned that Marvin's 2 sons and their friends would be staying there and we were staying back on the highway at an old house that Marvin had rented miles from the hunting area.

*We were told we would hunt a ranch, what we did was hunt out of the truck on public land all week There was no private land.
*The TRUCK...we started our experience under the old truck repairing it and we did this often during out stay. Horrible old beater truck in real need of a junkyard.

*We saw no elk (this is unit 15!) We logged hundreds of miles in Marvins old truck and on his ATV. We never saw any other hunters (im not sure why) But Marvins 2 sons did get an elk, a raghorn, that i understand they ran down with ATV's, their preferred method of hunting. I think their names were Beavis and Butthead.

*We figured Marvin out by the end of the first morning hunt and almost struck out on our own(wish we had now) but decided to stick it out because we were a long way from home and didnt come prepared for a DIY hunt.

*Day 4 Marvin sent my son and I down a drainage and was to drive back out to the highway and loop around to meet us midday with an atv to pick us up. We finally heard from him at 1pm, a text, saying "I cant find you guys you will have to walk out, just head down like water" were the directions we got from him. After roughly 9 miles of walking (thank god for my GPS) we made it out to a road about dark and had to text our position so Marvin could find us. We werent prepared to spend the day on the mountain and had drank the water we had before we found out we had to walk out!

*Worst part of this experience is that i spared no expense for my sons first elk hunting experience and instead of a positive experience for him it was a nightmare. Marvin charged me $5,850.00 each plus licenses. I was in this hunt for over $13,000.00 for my son and I.

*O and i called all the references Marvin gave me and they all raved about him. Obviously staged.

*Its tough to put into words how horrible this experience was but ill stop now and appoligize for being so long winded.

I HAVE WAITED FOR THE DAY THAT SOMEONE WOULD ASK ABOUT THIS CON ARTIST MARVIN CROMWELL. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD SO OTHERS DONT WASTE THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY AND TIME ON THIS GUY and his so-called "PEARSON RANCH" .
WHY DOESNT SOMEONE START A SITE WHERE WE CAN REPORT THESE OUTFITTER SCAMS?

I have hunted the Pearsons Ranch for the last 2 years now and I have enjoyed every hunting trip to the Persons Ranch. My first hunt in 2010, both my friend and I harvested two GREAT cow Elk. This year (2011), my friend harvested another GREAT cow Elk. I was not able to hunt as hard as I wish due to an injury with my back. The accommodations are rustic however, with that said you have everything you need to be very comfortable I.e. running water, bathrooms, showers, heat, beds, stove for cooking. I like the cabin because to me it adds to the hunting adventure
For the hunting on the ranch if you are, trying to hunt from a vehicle you will not have fun. This property requires the hunter to get out and hunt the property. Yes, the Pearsons Ranch is high fenced and is over 160 acres and the terrain is rough so there is around 2 and a quarter miles around the high fence also. Therefore, the Elk having a lot of cover so you will need to actually hunt them.
Like I have stated I have hunted the Pearsons Ranch for the past two years and I will continue to hunt there because I think the Pearsons Ranch is an excellent place. I have talked to Marvin Cromwell on several occasions to discuss my hunts and each time Mr Cromwell has assisted me and my friend with our hunts to ensure we had a great time and was able to harvest an elk.
To me the Pearsons Ranch is NOT a scam. Mr Cromwell will work with you to ensure you have a GREAT experience and a GREAT hunt.

Soooooooooo, your saying 160 acre high fence COW elk hunt is fantastic? I don't know if I can type from laughing so hard!

I don't even know how to respond to comment #4. I've heard of people killing bulls on a canned 2000 acre ranch. But I think your the first guy I've heard of whose has actually paid to hunt a high fenced cow. bahahahahahahahaha. Dude thank you so much for your comments. I'm gonna have to tell this one to the guys at work. thats hilarious. I really needed a good laugh for the day.

TonyC, the original poster of this thread stated that they were told the high fence was 1000 acres and the "ranch" was 5500 acres. So your saying the high fence is 160 acres, i'll admit that might be accurate but who would hunt on 160 acres?? Thats not a hunt, thats a shoot! The Pearson Ranch high fence I went to had the elk all waiting at the gate begging to be shot. In fact I just remembered that at the main house on the highway that we stayed at we saw tons of paintball equipment and when i asked what it was for i was told it was to "wild up the elk" before a hunter showed up for a hunt in the high fence. Did you guys cows have paintball marks on them? Maybe thats why they werent at the gate. And how about the 5500 acre "ranch" that i was also told I would be hunting? Tell the truth TonyC, Does it exist? My tag was from the Aragon Ranch now that I have referenced the numbers on my tag to the NMDGF E-Plus list.. We had no access to the Aragon ranch and only access to the forest.

I'VE BEEN CONTACTED BY MONSTERMULEYS TO SAY THAT MARVIN WANTS THIS POST REMOVED! IMAGINE THAT! MAYBE I WENT TO FAR WITH THE NAME CALLING OF HIS SONS AND I APOLIGIZE FOR THAT ONLY, BUT I STAND BEHIND MY POSTS AS FACT.

TonyC, the original poster of this thread stated that they were told the high fence was 1000 acres and the "ranch" was 5500 acres. So your saying the high fence is 160 acres, i'll admit that might be accurate but who would hunt on 160 acres?? Thats not a hunt, thats a shoot! The Pearson Ranch high fence I went to had the elk all waiting at the gate begging to be shot. In fact I just remembered that at the main house on the highway that we stayed at we saw tons of paintball equipment and when i asked what it was for i was told it was to "wild up the elk" before a hunter showed up for a hunt in the high fence. Did you guys cows have paintball marks on them? Maybe thats why they werent at the gate. And how about the 5500 acre "ranch" that i was also told I would be hunting? Tell the truth TonyC, Does it exist? My tag was from the Aragon Ranch now that I have referenced the numbers on my tag to the NMDGF E-Plus list.. We had no access to the Aragon ranch and only access to the forest.
I'VE BEEN CONTACTED BY MONSTERMULEYS TO SAY THAT MARVIN WANTS THIS POST REMOVED! IMAGINE THAT! MAYBE I WENT TO FAR WITH THE NAME CALLING OF HIS SONS AND I APOLIGIZE FOR THAT ONLY, BUT I STAND BEHIND MY POSTS AS FACT.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-11 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]$13,000 for the two of you for that mess of a place should result in felony charges against the owner! It's hard to believe that there haven't been enough complaints to the F&G or whatever state agency oversees a place like that to put them out of business. What a shame for you, as well as for the animals in that small enclosure section, if they are as was described in this thread. Also, this TonyC guy who made this thread his first post is probably one of the family or someone they paid to come on here with that glowing report. He stated: "Yes, the Pearsons Ranch is high fenced and is over 160 acres and the terrain is rough so there is around 2 and a quarter miles around the high fence also. Therefore, the Elk having a lot of cover so you will need to actually hunt them." Whoever he is, if he thinks that small enclosure was a hunt, I've got news for him---NOT!!! The website itself should be a clue that the place isn't a hunt when they advertise the fenced hunt is "guaranteed" and shows prices of $2,850 for a raghorn up to $17,220 for a 410" bull. They even show a "Tranquilizer Hunt" for $300 a day + $50 per dart and they will even take a picture of you and your "trophy", LOL! The ranch hunt has no prices, no acreage mentioned and it's landowner vouchers involved that weren't even issued for their "alleged" 5000+ acre ranch, and they don't say if they are RO or unit wide. BUYER BEWARE!!!
Question: Why did you not have access to the Aragon Ranch if that is where you traced the numbers back on your license?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-11 AT 07:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-11 AT 07:30?PM (MST)

TOPGUN, I would assume that there was an agreement between Marvin and Aragon Ranch when he purchased the tags from them that he would not hunt the ranch with his clients. I was told all along that we would hunt the private ranch and hunt the forest if we needed to. When we arrived we were told that we would be hunting the forest only. I do remember being told that the Aragon family was hunting the ranch. I also noticed that the Aragon ranch only gets 3 bull tags and between myself, my son and Marvins son, all of those were accounted for. O that reminds me, we also werent allowed to hunt near where his sons were hunting and they bragged about being in elk daily until they ran them out of the area with the atv's i assume.

I have also often wondered why after 5 days and hundreds of miles logged on Marvins old truck and atv in unit 15 we NEVER saw another hunter or even a vehicle?? Arent there hundreds of tags for first muzzy in unit 15? Is the unit that big?

I think they have a very small operation because i got the impression he had no other hunters booked after our hunt and we hunted the first muzzy hunt. This could be why there arent others venting their frustrations here. Even the enclosure couldnt have had more than 10 elk total in it. Biggest bull in there couldnt have been more than 260" and skin and bones. There must not be many regs for these high fence operations.

I have been told that Marvin will be contacting me to remove my posts and that he is asking MM to remove them. I hope that doesnt happen because I wish I had stumbled upon this info when i did my search of the web for "Pearson Ranch" before booking my hunt. Maybe I can save someone a ton of grief and a pile of cash.

I have hunted with Marvin from the Pearson Ranch. The High fence area we did not hunt. We hunted the public area. Four of us hunted and three of us took bulls. All of us could have taken a bull but one passed on a rag horn. I am getting close to 60 and I am from South Florida. Being from Florida I am a flat-lander (no hills). Because of that it is hard to get into shape for a hunt in the mountains. We advised Marvin of this and he worked very hard to accomidate us. One of our party is a guy that is part billy-goat and climbs hills like I walk down hill. Marvin was able to insure that he had a sucessful hunt and he got a Bull in the 340 - 360 class.
I have hunted out of Marvin's camp several times and always enjoy myself. The Cabin is rustic....but aren't you hunting? If you want a Hilton...stay in town.
Any time you hunt with an Outfitter it is important to ask as many questions as you can think of. It is also important that you are honest with your guide. If you can't get up the hills easily....tell them. I put in for a hunt in unit 15 every year and when I get lucky enough to draw I will be at Marvin's.

Bearseas, I notice this is your first post. Anyway, my only complaint about the accomodations was that we were told we would be staying at the rustic cabin and instead stayed in an old rented house on the highway while his sons and their friends stayed at the cabin. And alone that would have been no big deal but it was just one of many lies we were told. I would love to see pics of the 340-360 type bull that your billy-goat friend killed. Would be great if Marvin was in the photo also or the cabin or any identifying information. Or pics of all the bulls you guys killed. My guess is the only bull im going to see from you with Marvin is your typed words above!

I wouldn't remove them and you can't after 300 minutes has elapsed after you make each post. Then the only one who can remove a post or entire thread is the Administrator of the site. I'm not positive, but I believe yours will be left up if what you have posted is actually what happened to you and not some hearsay information. Things like this, if they are true, need to be spread all over the internet to put them OB. There is a scumbag booking agent being exposed on a major internet hunting website for allegedly scamming $70,000 from two brothers who bought a sheep hunt for their Father through the guy and the hunt never took place. Even a bunch of other booking agents are trying to get the guy run out of business because it makes their whole industry look bad.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-11 AT 01:22AM (MST)[p]It sure would help a lot of people if they actually knew the laws regarding LO tags in NM.

edit,
Tags for the Aragon ranch in 2011 were unit wide. They can't keep you off that ranch or any other ranch that gets unit wide tags. You also have a contract outlining the services to be rendered.

For 13K I'd find a lawyer or a biker, maybe both.

Wapitibob, I simply put to much trust in my outfitter. Now that you mention the law and contracts, maybe i should mention that i had no contract. I remember thinking it was odd that i had nothing but my tag on my drive out to the hunt. Also i dont know the law regarding outfitter/guide licensing but i seem to recall that researched marvin post-hunt and determined that he is a licensed guide but not a licensed outfitter. Any insight into the law regarding that?

If you simply bought a LO voucher and redeemed it for a tag, you're on your own.

If you hired an Outfitter then you have something behind your claim.:

"J. "Outfitter" shall mean any person who advertises or holds himself out for hire to the public or
accepts compensation for providing, within a game management unit where a hunt occurs, equipment or services for
hunting activities."

There is an exemption for Landowners but if they put you on Forest land the exemption won't work.

I would get my ducks in a row and call Dan Brooks (505) 476-8000
Chief of Law Enforcement for the Dept. We have talked before and he seems to be a good guy. He will be able to tell you where you stand.

Here is the Title 19 Administrative Code for Outfitters.
http://www.nmcpr.state.nm.us/NMAC/parts/title19/19.030.0008.htm

WapitiBob, I'm not trying to redeem any of my money, just want to warn others who may be considering the so-called Pearson Ranch for a hunt. I didnt have anything in writing other than my e-mails from Marvin. Most of our correspondence was over the phone. One e-mail states the price for the hunt and what is included for that price. Below I attached the body of that e-mail from Marvin.

"Per our conversations.

Hunt price is 5,850.00 ea.

Which includes, 2 x 1 guide, Landowner authorization,Meals,warm bed, hot showers and home sytle meals.

Once I get your 8,000.00 deposit I will email you the landowner authorizations and application.

The balance will be due one month before you hunt."

WapitiBob, is it legal for this guy to outfit hunts if he isnt a licensed outfitter?

Wow this is crazy in all my years of hunting and walking this earth I have never heard the likes of this before. As a hunter I also care about game and wildlife management. Maybe it would be interesting if the animal humane organization got a hold of this? Skinny under fed animals? I know of many ranches that had their elk herd wiped out due to diseases such as (TB) tuberculosis, in addition to the diseases I would hate to see something like that happen and spread into the general elk population in unit 15.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-11 AT 10:14AM (MST)[p]The whole thing, if true, sucks a big one. I would think that this Marvin guy would need an outfitters license to do what he's doing, at least if he took you onto National Forest or other public lands. The Feds are very strict on their allotment of areas so that outfitters each have a given licensed area that only they can guide and outfit in. It is amazing that people do business like we are talking about on the phone and by emails and don't get a signed contract when it involves thousands of dollars. I guess a lot of us would like to think that all hunters and persons involved in the sport are honest, reputable people---NOT!!! This isn't the first, and probably won't be the last, time that stuff like this has happened and it almost comes down to a "he said she said" type of a situation that is hard to win with no paperwork.

If this is truly how it went down, then please leave your posts up. If this ranch is running things like this, there should be criminal charges and they should be shut down...at the very least. Thanks for making everyone aware. I believe this stuff happens more than we all know.

Hunt, this won't get hashed out on this forum, you need/should call Dan.

The LO voucher I mentioned is a "voucher" given to the LO that he or someone he sells it to, can "redeem" at the Game dept for a license. Your hunt license was originated from one of those vouchers. That voucher is either "ranch only" or "unit wide". Ranch only means that the license is only good on ONE certain ranch and ONLY that enrolled property. Unit Wide means the license is good for the whole unit, just like a draw license, AND any licensed hunter can hunt ANY property that has been enrolled in the unit wide e-plus program.
For the 2011 season, your ranch was enrolled in the unit wide program meaning you could hunt the whole unit and and unit wide ranches.
I'm not a lawyer but up here you don't need a "signed" contract to have a legal, binding agreement. I would be talking to guys that wear wing tip shoes and had some success in this area before.

There is also two sides to every story. For all we know you could have road hunted for the week but looking at your other Elk hunt I doubt that's the case.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom