Pecos Wilderness

C

CowboyNM

T minus 95hrs until I'm chasing bulls in the wilderness! If anyone has pics of bulls that have come out of unit 45 this season or any other for that matter, post them! It's almost time!

nice i love unit 45 i have a deer hunt at the end of the month you have any suggestions on where to go havent been there in years thanks and good luck

7973078.jpg

this is not a bull but I took this picture in 45 this year in aug.

Just got back from pecos and I was trying to figure out if I missed the Rut or Its not started. Either way out of 5 days of hard hiking I saw one spike?????????

Sorry to hear that.. Where did you hike/hunt? i dont do the same exact thing and torture my friend hiking him everywhere this weekend. Im saying they are going thru the last phase..

Tough hunt for us in the pecos, as well. Packed a camp 7 miles into the wilderness via iron gate. First morning we called a raghorn into 65 yds. That was the only bull we saw or heard the entire hunt. More people up in the wilderness than ever before. Iron gate had 8 horse trailers in the parking lot and jacks creek had at least 12 stock trailers. Hiked over 15 miles up there and covered 40 miles on mules. Most the sign we saw was at least 7-10 days old.

man looks like you covered alot of territory im sorry that you did not harvest an elk did you guys see any deer? sounds like there is going to be alot of people up there

We had deer tags as well, but only saw small bucks. The biggest buck we saw was probably a 130-140 class buck. Saw several forkies. Good luck, we have always done good with the elk in 45, but this year it just wasn't happening for us up there. Hunt hard and keep the wind in your face. Good luck!

Vini - saw that buck the second evening, stepped out into very edge of meadow. Ranged him at 330 yds, but decided not to shoot.

i agree on the last phase, they were screaming as early as labor day, the first couple weeks of September was nuts!
seemed like a much earlier rut in the pecos and gila as compared to last year.

We were one of the trailers at iron gate. Saw 2 cows and a calf heard only 1 bull bugle. Wind blew night and day hard, blew our tent down twice. Heard a few shots on the first day Know of one bull killed off of hamilton toward beattys. Road and walked several miles did't have any luck all you can say is thats hunting!

Yes sir no caballo,no problem. Just the quads we were born with. I done listened to the post here. everybody said lots of old sign up the iron gate. no i didnt listen. treked esteros,valle largo,valle medio,TRAMPAS F that drainage to the fullest. And they say IDAHO is steep Negative walk the Pecos Wildo homes... Any way we found them my buddy made the shot! where? cant say.. because i was told about this place many years ago and put the boot work to get there.. Trust it an old story..

Mmmmm, I had delicious tag soup last night. It was a rough hunt for sure, we worked our butts off. The elk were pretty quiet. I had a chance at a small rag horn that I passed on at day break the opening morning. He was with a group of about 20 cows. The herd bull did bugle once but I couldn't get him to come out of the trees. Never saw this group again. On the third day we got into a different herd of cows but never saw a bull. We did see deer every day though. All and all fun hunt, there's nothing better than being up in the mountains!

5210tony_phone_1557.jpg

4715tony_phone_1559.jpg

6013tony_phone_1580.jpg

Here are a few pictures from the my good friends hunt last weekend..He made a great shot. I brought him in with one bugle and a few cow calls to 248 and when they step into that range in rifle boom drop time...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom