peep sight or blade sight?

B

bigtom

i recently purchaced a black diamond .50 cal. and it came with the tru-glo fiber optic front and rear blade sight .i was wondering if anyone has bought the thompson rear peep sight ?
i will be mule deer hunting in nevada and the shots might up to 200 yds . would the peep give me better accuracy on long shots ?
also i have never hunted with a muzzleloader ,is it advisable to take a close shot at a running deer and would the peep sight be better choice for a shot like this or would the blade rear sight be better .i tried lining up the 3 dots in a row and i couldnt shoot a good group , so then i took a fine bead and my accuracy improved but i cant see the whole target and this bothers me . so i thoiught the peep would give me a better view . let me know what you all think , any advice would be greatly appreciated . thanks, tom

I'm using a peep and a fiber optic front and my accuracy has greatly improved. I'm still not sure I would try a 200yd shot on live game, even with a rangefinder. But that's just me.

Bigtom: I've hunted with both type sights and both have their advantages and disadvantages. However having to make a choice I think I still prefer the fiber sights over the peep. No specific reason just preference.

I also agree with Henry in that I'd be very reluctant to shoot at a mule deer at 200 yards. It would be a tough shot even using a scope, but I think that you'll find that your front sight pretty much covers the entire animal at that distance.

I hunted Mule deer in Idaho last year and took my Muley at 116 yards. I'm comfortable out to about 125, but not much further.

My accuracy improved dramatically when I went to a peep sight in the rear and a front fiberoptic bead. However, I had to drill out the peep hole (made it bigger) because the one it comes with is too small in low light situations. I would not consider shooting past 100 yards with any open/peep set up.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I used a peep sight for quite a few years. Most the time when the big hawgs are out theres not enogh light to see through it so I screw it out and and up missing. Last year I put a fiber optic up front and this year a fiber optic is going in back. I've thought about drilling the peep out also which I still might do if the two fiber optics dont work.

BT

I shoot a T/C renegade and the peep I use will unscrew, leaving a round hole where the peep screwed in. This is a very big peep and I can shoot almost as well with this big peep as the small one with lots more visability. Therefore, if it is too dark for the small peep, I just unscrew it and shoot through the big one. Works for me.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom