Which Red Dot for Utah???

Blank

Long Time Member
I'm asking a simple question here, about the DWR statement about 1X scope restrictions. Every statement I have seen in print is worded exactly the same. I have attached the full paragraph from the current guideline book. I have not seen the "actual" rule in print yet.

The wording, and punctuation clearlrly separates the sights into open, peep, or red dots, and then scopes of 1X. Should there be clarification on the sizes (MOA) of the dot? Many red dots have 1X, 2X, or even 3X magnifiers on them. By the wording of the rule, they are still just a red dot and would be legal where scopes are not? What does the MM jury think?

IMG_6636.jpeg

Here is the wording from back in the old days, when magnifying scopes were not allowed: "must have open sights, peep sights or a fixed non-magnifying 1x scope;"

I think they added the red dot verbiage because in general electronic scopes are not allowed. Only illuminated reticles. I don't see any way a 2x or 3x red dot is going to be legal.

I think the red dot "or" 1x scope is what could be confusing. It should read only 1x scopes are allowed rather than having an or in the wording.

R657-5-10. Muzzleloaders.​

(1) A muzzleloader may be used during any big game hunt, except an archery hunt, provided the muzzleloader:

(a) has both the powder and bullet loaded from the muzzle;

(b) has open sights, peep sights, or not more than a 1x scope or sight which contains no internal or external components that make it capable of magnifications;

(c) has a single barrel;

(d) has a minimum barrel length of 18 inches;

(e) is capable of being fired only once without reloading;

(f) powder and bullet, or powder, sabot and bullet are not bonded together as one unit for loading;

(g) is loaded with black powder or black powder substitute, which must not contain smokeless powder; and

(h) has no attachment capable of electronic function, other than illuminated reticles.

(2)(a) A lead or expanding bullet or projectile of at least 40 caliber must be used to hunt big game.

(b) A bullet 130 grains or heavier, or a sabot 170 grains or heavier, must be used for taking deer and pronghorn.

(c) A 210 grain or heavier bullet must be used for taking elk, moose, bison, bighorn sheep, and Rocky Mountain goat, except sabot bullets used for taking these species must be a minimum of 240 grains.

(3) A person who has obtained a muzzleloader permit for a big game hunt may use only muzzleloader equipment authorized in Subsections (1) and (2) to take the species authorized in the permit.

(4) A person who has obtained an any weapon permit for a big game hunt may:

(a) use muzzleloader equipment authorized in this section; and

(b) use a fixed or variable magnifying scope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom