Pheasant Hunt at Casa Colorada WMA

WapitiDave

Hey Guys,

A buddy and I put in for this hunt and were lucky enough to draw 2 of the 10 tags issued. Has anyone been on this hunt before? We put in because we wanted to hunt pheasant but not really sure what to expect. Any input or past experiences in that area would be appreciated.

WD

My son drew the youth hunt one year. Killed three farmed roosters and we were back in ABQ by noon.

It is easy to miss the turn, be sure to pay close attention to the directions they send.

It is not a big area.

Hunt with somebody that has a dog if you can.

Have fun!

Cuacopollo,
Did they release the pheasant right before the hunt for the youth hunt? I wonder how it works for the hunt after the youth hunt. Thanks for the info.

WD

yes, for the youth they let them go before the hunt. You may find some stragglers a week later. Plus any wild ones that may be there.

Wapiti Dave,

Just curious, did you guys end up doing any good on the Casa Colorada hunt? I drew the W.S. Huey but ended up decdiding not to make the drive after talking to some folks that have done it before. We ended up doing pretty well in Clovis. Wasn't the numbers of birds you'd see in SD but def. enough around to make it worthwhile. Just wish the season here was longer than 4 days.

Brushhawg

2977christmas_pheasant_2010_026.jpg

Brushhawg,

We did ok. We each took a rooster Saturday morning. There were 10 hunters on the hunt and I would say everyone took at least 1 each with a few of hunters taking 2 each. The nice thing about the pheasant we took is they were both mature birds( wild birds). According to the G & F officer that was there that morning they had released about 80 birds for the youth hunt the week before. I guess the kids had a great hunt the week before. A few of the pheasant we seen that were harvested by the other hunters were farm birds as they were younger and there tails were pretty short. The guys that had dogs seemed to be flushing out a few more birds. Overall not to bad. Seemed like you guys had a good hunt. Congrats!!!

DOes anyone know if the volunteer fire dept in Arch south of Clovis still does their hunt every year? When I was stationed at Cannon back in the 90s I used to go all the time and had a blast!

They quit doing it a few years back. Not sure on the reasoning behind why they stopped, if it was a liability issue or what, but sure would be nice if they brought it back.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom