Phoenix Attractions

completesportsman

Long Time Member
My wife and I are going to be coming out to Phoenix for our 10th wedding aniversary in August. Are there any cool things to see or do in or around the area that you guys could tell me about?
Anywhere nearby to view elk/deer & get some pictures?
Thanks

Well tombstone is South of Phoenix so no Elk down there. There might be some Coues Deer down there but it will sure be hot so not a lot of movement. You can always catch a D-back game while in town. Not sure if you 2 are golfers but lots of those around here as well

John

There's plenty of RATTLESNAKES! Out here in the desert the RATTLESNAKES are coming out more and more. A friend of mine showed me some pics he took just the other day. So be careful if you're out in the desert. As for deer and elk...we've seen some about an hour out of phoenix near Payson. Good luck and Happy Anniversary!

I would make the drive north to the redrocks of Sedona and the Grand Canyon. You might have a good chance in seeing the elk in the meadow at Kachina Village at MP 333 on the west side of I-17 (about 8 miles south of Flagstaff), or a much better chance 30 miles south of Flag on Lake Mary Road in the bed of Mormon Lake. Flag is at 6500' elevation, so it would be a welcome temp change from the 100*+ of Phoenix in August.

Complete,
I'll second Redrabbit. I live pretty close to Tombstone and you won't miss much. It's basically a tourist trap.

Check out some of the sights north of Phoenix in August. It's too hot down here then.

If you are going to be there a while, head up towards Globe. There are allot of great things to see there and some great 4 wheelin. You will most likely see some deer or some bear. Maybe even some bass fishing?

Went to those Caverns back in 1979, really nice and some interesting history of them there too.
If you do go to Tucson, go out west to Safari Club Museaum it is great all day walk around inside.

Brian

If you go to Maryvale (little tijuana) or Mesa (sonora north) you can see first hand the affects of illegal immigration into our country.

Sorry. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

If you want to see elk, a good place is north of Payson or east of Camp Verde on top of the rim. Lots of forest roads to drive thru. Early AM and late PM are the best times, but you probably knew that.

Around Flagstaff / Lake Mary is also good advice.

264X300

And after visiting sanora north, you can go down van buren st. and see what used to be the main part of Phoenix, but is now over run with thugs, whores,and drug addicts! Phoenix has alot to see....

There is nothing 'Cool' in Phoenix in August. I hope you are at one of the many resorts with nice pools.
Think Air conditioning for Phx activities. There are a lot of nice gun stores, malls, and a few decent museums. Scottsdale artist zone is very good if you like that stuff. There are some good hikes on the hills around town (camelback, South Mtn...)but you would need to get up early

If you do head South would recommend the SCI museum in Tucson. The Desert museum is neat as well, you can see desert critters in their natural habitat. You will need to go very early in the day to enjoy this. There is also the Pima Air and Space Museum which has a huge outdoor display of aircraft.

The Flagstaff & Grand Canyon are all good options for heading North and cooling off for a day or 3. As was mentioned, Kachina or Mormon Lake area for elk viewing.

Sedona is very pretty but is almost as hot.

Enjoy

Dan

Hey guys,
Thanks to all that replied.

I'm making this post from Williams, AZ.

Redrabbit,
We saw the elk herd you and others mentioned near mormon lake.

Tomorrow we are going to the grand canyon, hope we can see more game and I'm sure we will see lots of awesome scenery.

AZ is a neat state, its the 1st time I have been here. I wish we had more time but we got here Wed. and are leaving Sun.

Thanks again to all, talk to you later, I'll post pics when I get home, BTW home is NC.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom