photo of my new hunting weapon!!!

G

graybeard

stevetait121503-1.jpg

stevetait121503-2.jpg

This is my new eagle that I'll use to hunt jackrabbits, fox, and if she's willing, coyotes. Steve

AWESOME!!! That is too cool. I've always wanted to get into falconry, but just don't have the time to dedicate to those awesome birds.

That's awesome! Have you ever thought of hunting upland game over a dog with your eagle?

Rut

I use to work with a fella the was president of the Washington Falconry (sp) association. He primarily flew Goss hawks but at one time flew an eagle...Be very carefull G.B.. He had his eagle turn on him and leave a few talon marks on his back....Don't turn your back on an eagle....Looks like allot of fun though.. Did you have to capture your own eagle????.

That's the one thing that I would LOVE to get into some day. Maybe not with such a big bird though!

I've always been curious, do you have to have a special permit to own them birds? And how do you get one!?

I have an english pointer that I've flown many a falcon over but if I enter this new eagle on fox and coyotes I would not give her access to my dog.

Kingfish, was the guy you worked with Brian Kellogg? I know him and believe he's the only Washington eagle falconer, as least that I know of. These golden eagles are really only dangerous when it's feeding time. Otherwise they can be real sweet and easy to handle (except for their weight).

She weighs about 10 lbs. and yes you do have to get a special permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife. I've been a falconer since I was my daughters age (14) and now 30 years later able to trap and fly golden eagles. I trapped this bird in WY in an area deemed by the U.S.D.A as a depradation area. There's about 22 of us in the nation right now. I wish there were more because we don't have much strength when it comes to fighting anti-hunters and PETA.

I've had her 1 month and flew her free for the first time yesterday. I'll be chasing jack rabbits with her tomorrow. Should be exciting, Steve

Steve,

That's the guy..Brian really knows his stuff. I worked with him in the B2 program and we even went archery hunting one time. I got transfered up here to Everett and lost contact with him. I'm not even sure he still works at Boeing...Have you met Brian?

Keith.

Keith, I haven't met him in person but have talked with him many times on the phone and email. I send donations to him every year for their falconry club. I make hoods (see eagle's head) on the side and it pays for all of my hunting. I know he's a very good falconer but I don't know where he works. Probably still there, why quit a great paying job?

Steve

Hey greybeard, do you have any pics you'd be willing to share on here. Man am I fascinated with them birds!!!

Negissimo, these photos were taken by a freind who has a digital camera. I don't have one so I don't know. What type of photos are you looking for??? Steve

Hey Guys

I'm overseas in a place called Doha in the country of Qatar and falconery is very big here.They have a lot of clubs and hunts plus they have the Falconery markets where you can purchase equipment and also the birds. It is about 2 miles from my house so I will go down and get some pics of some birds for you to look at. Won't be able to though until next weekend as i'm busy this weekend but will get some posted as soon as I can.

Happy Trails

Ridge Runner

Neg, I will try and get you some photos. Going after whitetail jacks in a couple hours.

Elkhuntr, his name sounds familiar, where do you live? There are probably at least 5,000 falconers across the country and you'd be surprized how many I know or have heard of. We used to be a really tight nit group. I'm in UT. Steve

P.S. Yes the folks in Qatar are way into falconry as with all the arab states. They buy a lot of their falcons from breeders in the U.S.A.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-03 AT 07:25PM (MST)[p]You know, I've been fascinated with Falconry ever since I saw a kpbs special when I was 9 or 10 years old(I'm 24 now). I have read at least 5 or 6 old falconry books from the local library (there aren't too many in San Diego).

How do you get permits to own a bird? And what is the startup cost for a falcon or kestrel (bird and equipment)? Finaly, I understand there is a lot of time and care involved, how many bird related hours a week do you spend, excluding hood making?

Any info would be great! Thanks.

Jesse

ozstriker22, You would have to go to the fish and wildlife in your state and ask them what is involved in getting a permit. You'll have to pass a test with 80% or better to begin with. Look on the internet for the California Hawking Club. It's a big organization there and they can answer your questions better. They enlist a lot of apprentices. Good luck, Steve

Very cool! I'll check that out for sure! I think we'd all love to see some more pics, have your friend with the digital come over again.

Jesse

Do yoou know a Dr. James Greir
he was a prof. of mine at North Dakota State University
he wrote most of the rules you guys have to follow
ltlbucks

ltlbcks, I don't know him but glad he helped with the regs. However, I wish they were less restricted. In the 50s and 60s you could poison, shoot, trap and whatever you wanted to do with eagles and other raptors and then they became protected. Now the USFWS doesn't want you to even look at them cross eyed without a permit.

Elkhntr, Sorry for the confusion, I can't keep anything straight anymore. I don't know mr Duffy personally but I've heard his name. Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom