pics of my sons Unit 52 Muzzy Antelope hunt!!!

P

purabura

It was an awesome, hunt a little sore from crawling on the rocks for 3 days! I had not been in this unit since drawing this tag 7 years ago. We left Laredo, Texas after my sons freshmen football practice on Friday driving straight through arriving in Tres Piedras At daybreak saturday!!!
53952sun.jpg

First day went right to where i had had great success 7 years ago and we were covered in antelope, but it is tough to shoot a nice antelope at 150 yards when 3 big antelope are 500-600 yards away. One of the big ones we called "Slant" and if not him its the twin to "passthrough's" buck!!! there was a heavy one with low prongs, and a long one with average mass that reminded my son of a buck called "Butterbean"-Long Story short we missed a couple 317 and 334 yard shots at a 4th decent buck:( Then spent all day Sunday without seeing a single of the decent bucks from saturday:( But it was very hot and dusty!!!
993dusty.jpg

Monday at daybreak we set up on a ridge that we had seen 2 of the nice bucks on Saturday, and at 7 am a.m. got our break as i looked back to the left and 50yards away was the "butterbean" buck, luckily we were prone, finally after what seemed like an eternity he walked passed us giving my son Matthew a shot at 80 yards i stopped him and my son smoked him!!! It was a great hunt and we got it all on video!!! Now time to get ready for my sons IBEX hunt in a month!!!!

6800muzzylope1.jpg

7243bofar.jpg

2054boclose.jpg

That's a fine antelope, Glad he got a nice one, good luck with the next hunts.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-11 AT 11:38PM (MST)[p]That's a fantastic buck! One of the better bucks I saw this weekend, live or dead. Glad you guys had a great hunt. That right there is one of the funnest hunts this planet has to offer.

Definately worth being sore and the yacca scares. I need to get someone to pick up all them rocks. Rough on the knees.
?
Good idea on the snake boots. Seen any? None for us. Which is not normal. Normally we run into 2 or 3 of them little green things.

After this weekend, I'm still staying low as I walk around the house and office. Way to start off the year and good luck on Matthews's Ibex hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 06:18AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 05:30?AM (MST)

Thanks guys, we are very happy with him!!! Nope no snakes, but u never know and we wear them everyday downhere. He is prolly the 2nd or 3rd best buck we saw he is over 16" and is just over 80", but looked over 90" broadside at 80 yards haha!!! Oh sorry for sideways pics, hadnt put pics up in 7 years since my last tag, but my son and I or always on MM, so he kept telling me to put his pics up!!!

Awesome goat! I have some live photos of that buck from some July scouting trips. He was on the hit list, but never made it to my side of the fence. Congrats on a super goat. Im a little envious of that 80 incher, Im still waiting for mine.

Nice buck - congratulations.
My sons and I were down on that unit chasing goats as well. My son also has the youth Ibex hunt. We are really getting excited for that hunt as I'm sure you are as well.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 11:48AM (MST)[p]This was one of the funnest/hardest hunts of my life!! From the roadtrip to the kill, i enjoyed every second! Most importantly i got to spend time with my dad in the mountains :)

Special thanks to my dad "purabura" and Rick for video taping the hunt!!!

congrats to u guys!!

Purabura, post ur 7 years ago buck! I know it was big buck that you shot!

my wife and I was in same area as you when u shot.

vinihunt

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 08:58PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 08:56?PM (MST)

here u go vinihunt!!! he is a great buck with a 7 2/8 inch dropper prong!!!! you were close recently or 7 years ago??? i had a bigger buck come in range after i shot this one 7 years ago. i have been very fortunate in the last 7 years on antelope!!!

3733muzzlope2004.jpg

sdbugler-we are pumped for the ibex hunt!!!! Then he has his youth unit 27 muley/coues huntin nov-dec, and i have a december unit 27 coues tag!!!! i have been fortunate to hunt alot the last 7 years and i was going to take it easy this year, but we finally drew some tags, the first in 7 years in NM, only tag we did not draw was our unit 17 muzzleloader elk hunt!!! seems like we have similar tastes??? haha, how did your antelope hunt go?

passthrough- post those pics i love seein antelope pics!!! i have a cellphone pic of your buck at 610 yards!! haha he was our 1st choice buck!!! Lucky:)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-11 AT 07:08AM (MST)[p]7 years ago I think so, shot wrong buck...was stalking 3 nice one and didn't know there was a small buck in group but still a fun hunt
298unit52.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom