Pilot Mt Sheep

The Pilot Mountain that straddles the Utah/Nevada border? Are you sure? Nevada hunts them as rockys.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Well, if I were you, I would go to the Utah Bighorn sheep management plan found here.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/bighorn-plan.pdf

Look at the map on page 14. See the pilots.

Then look at the transplant history page for the pilots found on page 19.
You will find the transplants for the pilots are?.

Basalt Colorado. From basalt state wildlife area. Rocky.
Bare top Utah. Herd is Rocky, not California.
Wells Nevada. Could be either, probably Rocky.
and Contact Nevada. Rocky mountain sheep.
For Neavda, see this link.

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/n...Bighorn-Sheep-Res-Any-Ram-Any-Weapon-9151.pdf

Wells and contact are up north, by the 074 unit in blue.

If the sheep on the pilots are Californias, I think someone forgot to tell them.
Looks to me like all states recognize them as true Rocky sheep.

But I could be wrong. It happened once before.

72logo.jpg

Those sheep were there long before they transplanted Calis to the Newfys. While those sheep don't tend to grow real big and they look like Cali rams, I believe BT is right. That herd originated from Rocky stock.

Thanks BT for that link. I believe i'm wrong i thought they transplanted them to news and pilot plus they look the same in size.

Thanks for the info! Just looking at the draw choices (hoping and praying) I know Rocky's should get a little bigger.

So Ram size on the news would be 150- 160? and on nine mile 170 - 180?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-15 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-15 AT 05:30?PM (MST)

If you were to consider the newfoundlands, there are a couple sheep I would be looking to kill.
1. King tut.
2. Splits.

Willy Wonka got killed last year. He went just shy of 165.
Flare also got killed last year, but I did not ever see a measurement for him.

There are several other acceptable rams out there that will get you into the 150's.
T.C. and 8 ball are two I would be looking for if I wanted to shoot a high 150's ram.

As far as the pilots go, if you find a 170 ram, you probably should kill it.
If you find a 180 ram, you better make sure you kill it.
It takes a LOT to get to 180.

I have yet to lay eyes on a 180 ram in the wilds of Utah.
I am sure they are out there, but they are like 430 bull elk and 220 mule deer.
At least for me they are.

You have to look at a lot of sheep to find a 165 California.
You have to look at a lot of sheep, in the right places to find a 175 Rocky.
In Utah, you gotta be fortunate to find a 180 ram.

Boone and crockett minimum for rocky sheep is 180.
I am not sure what the current number is, but by the mid 90's there was only like 5 sheep from Utah that made the 180 minimum.
I am sure it is more by now, but I would not be surprised if it was less than 20.
The big ones they get on the rattlesnake and range creek units are usually low 170 - 175.

I would advise against worrying about score anyways.
You shoot the sheep you want to look at for the rest of your life.
If that is a 140 sheep, you shoot it.
Then be happy with it.

If I had a tag this year, I can tell you what ram I would really consider killing.
He is an older sheep. 10 years.
All busted up. Short curls. Great mass.
He would score very low.
Probably high 140s due to short length.

But, I have had the neatest experiences with him.
He is my favorite ram.
I have spent so much time in his company, and I have some INCREDIBLE stories about interactions with him.
I could care less what he scores.
Hes mature, and the memories, photos, videos, and stories make him the Ram I would like to have on my wall.

That is unless a total monster was hanging around. I might just enjoy his company for the rest of my life and kill the monster ram.

I am no sheep expert, just a passionate observer, with a serious sheep problem.

Just get you a tag and love the experience.
Find a mature ram, and never look back.

72logo.jpg

Do a GRAMA search on the fish and game website. Look at the rams killed the last few years. I killed a 174 ram on nine mile a few years ago. It is a great unit but 180 is a tall order

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-15 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]Fullcry, on the main page in the top right hand side, you will see a search bar. Type GRAMA and hit search. On the next page click on GRAMA?commonly requested statistics and information. This will bring up a bunch on sheep info.
What unit will you be hunting?

Thanks Dry Boot
I have a grama from 2012.It didn't look like what they have on the dwr website. Then I realize that was a Sheep survey. The other page that talks about "kill location" looks like it. Thanks again
I am going for the Range creek tag with 19 points.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom