Pine Valley, Virgin River Unit for Desert Big Horns.

K

khjr

I would like to ask what anyones thoughts of the Pine Valley,
Virgin River Unit for Desert Big Horns.
The quality of the sheep and the number of the sheep that is in the unit to hunt.
Looks to be a small unit with a even smaller habitat use for the sheep compared to other units
I have seen sheep in this unit but not very many.
Or maybe a number to call to talk to someone that knows the sheep in the area, a biologist maybe.
I would think being next to St. G. that someone would have some decent input, or put me on to someone that does.
Thank You,
kh

p.s. Please PM if needed.

I received a photo of a ram that was killed there this past season. This ram had the most mass of any desert sheep i have seen. Rumor is it was close to the State Record but was missing a bunch of horn from one of his backs. Supposedly it will be in the Mossback booth at the expo. Hopefully with 16pts, I am getting close :)

Can you send the pic. or does mossback have it up on the web yet. Was the Ram taken on the Virgin River Unit, or in Az.?

I also have a photo of the ram referred to above. AJ Dorance was the lucky hunter that killed the ram they called Hercules, but I don't have permission to forward or post the picture. It gross scores well into the 170s and is a heck of a ram. I understand that the best rams in that unit mostly wander into the area from Arizona looking for ewes. There have been several great rams taken in that unit and it is reportedly less physical than most Utah's desert sheep areas. So I am told.

Well congratulation to him sounds like one heck of a ram.
I guess Im a little confused, I have heard it was taken Ut. and another report said Az.
"(Rams mostly wander into the area from Arizona looking for ewes.)"
Is that why it is a later hunt date because they have to move in from Az.?

The ram was taken in Utah not Arizona. I can't wait to see it in person. I did not know they had a name for the ram but Hercules is appropriate.

It was a nice Ram, I believe it scored right at 168.
There are great sheep numbers on the unit.
You should see Rams every day.
They do wander back and forth between Arizona and Utah.
If I had that tag, I would set my mark at 160.
Spend a day on that unit, and you should find sheep.
You could call: Jesse Shipp, he lives in St George, and knows the unit very well.
Good luck

Do you think that the sheep are scatterd in the unit or do they hang in sertin areas.
I have never heard of this unit having good numbers so that is good news if it is true.

Depends on the time of year. Go take a look, the unit is small, and you can get a decent look at it in a day.

There are for sure some known areas that they hang out in.
Time of year, and range conditions really change where they are.
Look in the mountains around the guzzlers is also usually a good bet.
You will have to reallly look to find sheep. Hike glass, hike glass more.
But in a day you should find sheep.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-12 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]Great unit. there are good number of sheep on that unit. yes it is smaller unit then most in utah. but they did increased the tag numbers last year. There were to other rams killed of that unit this year one was around 155 and killed right on the side of a road. the other was a high 150's ram. Hercules was a phenomenal ram. it was one of the heavest rams ive ever seen. on a average year most of the rams kill on that unit are typically high 150s to mid 160s.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-12 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]In case you are interested, Shawn Labrum shot a book ram on that unit several years back. Shaun outfits for sheep and he includes the video of his hunt on a sheep hunting video he made entitled Wild Mountain Big Horn Rams.

Thanks I will check that out.
Looks like I could ask for some help if I can get a tag.

If you draw, I am sure you would get lots of help.
Huntinforlife, lives there and knows it well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom