Places to camp/stay around Roy

parecido

Hey guys - anyone have any suggestions on where to camp or stay around Roy in unit 59? The only camp site I found was mills rim campground but that seemed a little tricky to get a big 5th wheel into. I've got a 3 day antelope hunt at the end of the month, so I was thinking maybe finding a motel. There was one in Roy, does anyone know anything about it? There wasn't anyone there when I went by.

I know there are some in Clayton, but how is the population of antelope out that way?

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

>Hey guys - anyone have any
>suggestions on where to camp
>or stay around Roy in
>unit 59? The only camp
>site I found was mills
>rim campground but that seemed
>a little tricky to get
>a big 5th wheel into.
> I've got a 3
>day antelope hunt at the
>end of the month, so
>I was thinking maybe finding
>a motel. There was one
>in Roy, does anyone know
>anything about it? There wasn't
>anyone there when I went
>by.
>
>I know there are some in
>Clayton, but how is the
>population of antelope out that
>way?
>
>Any info would be much appreciated
>
>
>Thanks

I am in the same boat, though our hunt will be in early Sept. I am told that the Mesa Hotel will be available in that time frame:

Martha's Cafe & Mesa Hotel
575-485-2661
564 Richelieu St
Roy, NM 87743

We will probably camp on the Kiowa Nat Grassland. I called them and they told me we could camp on the Grasslands, no problem.

Here is a rough map...Green is Grasslands. Blue is State.
3234capture.jpg

Thanks for the contact info for Mesa hotel. I thought about just camping on the grasslands too but it just seems weird to me, being as its so flat and there are some ranch houses near by. There is a state park that would've been perfect, I think it's called chicosa lake, but its closed.

I've camped on the grasslands before its not to bad other then no trees for shade. Just watch for snakes especially when you fold up a tent.

Mills Canyon has a campground but there is not much up there at all!! Things close early also so if you need something don't wait till later. Grasslands also but some good hunting on those so may not want to saty on em...

I have a buddy that has RV hookups in town. PM me for more info. Other than that the choices are Mesa Hotel, Sundance B&B, or camping on the Kiowa Grasslands, or at Mills canyon. If your 5th wheel isnt huge I bet you can get it in the camp spaces at the top of Mills Canyon. The Pronghorn numbers are down from a few years ago, but there are still enough around to make a hunt interesting. Some of the area has gotten rain and now has green grass so hopefully the bucks grew a little more horn than the past few years. Send me a message if you have more questions.

ICC that pretty cool.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom