Pleased With .270 WSM

cbeard

Very Active Member
Took my little Nosler 48 .270 WSM whitetail hunting on my farm.

At about 7 A.M. in a misting rain one of the best bucks I have seen on the property stepped out of the woods at 290 yards-he checked the field and turned broadside to enter an adjacent woodline about 5 steps away. No time for alot of preparation,it was now or never.

The little rifle came up smoothly and the crosshairs settled behind his shoulder quickly(I had a rest). I squeezed the trigger and the recoil was mild enough I could see the buck "high kick" as the 140 grain Accubond found its mark.

Result:A dead deer 20 yards inside the woods hit exactly where the crosshairs rested at the shot(I am sighted in 3 inches high @ 100 yards).The complete penetration and efficient performance of the bullet without alot of meat damage was a nice bonus.

Needless to say I am pleased and confident in the rifle and bullet combination for an upcoming sheep hunt I am planning.

(BTW the buck is a beautiful heavy,long-tined 11 point.I am not really into scores but my brother-in-law says he will go 140 or so-a real bruiser for east TX.He is the first buck I have taken in over 5 years of owning the property and watching many nice but younger deer without firing a shot. I've tried to post a pic but am having issues-I'll keep trying.)

cbeard, cool! I remember when you bought your little gem and i asked for you to keep us updated. Thanks!!

IMO, Your rig sounds like a perfect setup for hunting big buck or sheep sized game in the good ol USA. Those with bigger and badder i suppose can have and keep them. Give me a sweet looking enough gun yet i feel very comfortable shooting for groups, don't weight very much, with plenty of accuracy, getty-up & down range energy,.. and it just might be a Nosler 48 in .270WSM!

Sweet!!! Let's see that buck??

Joey

Congrats cbeard,
Sounds like a good one and sounds like you earned him passing all those younger bucks. Keep trying to figure out how to load the pics, I wanna see :)

Thanks guys! I am at work now and the pics are at home but it keeps saying the file is too big every time I try to upload them. Any suggestions?

easiest way I know is to open a photo bucket account and re size them their. then copy the bottom image link and past it in your post where you want the pic to appear

http://www.tinypic.com/

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Congrats on your deer! Nice to see the new gun is all you wanted it to be. They make a great rifle and I'm glad you like it. Hope everything else is going well for you and you have a great holiday season.

dumb luck cbeard...that's how I did it....just dumb luck

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Thanks elk! By way of update last week the little rifle took a beautiful bobcat and a mean-lookin' boar hog from the same spot about 2 hours later-both one shot kills.

She's a much better shooter than her owner requires given my skill level that's for sure.But it sure is fun to shoot a rifle that is small,light AND accurate...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom