Poaching...

cjg_beef

I know people who are friends with people who boast about shooting at and/or kill animals when not in season. The people who know these 'poachers' don't seem to care that much that they are stealing from you and me... I think that we as sportsman need to stand up and take action and report all suspicious activity regardless of severity. There aren't enough F&G officers out there to catch everything. They need us to be their eyes and ears.

I have been willing to report violations for years but a lot of folks do not want to get involved. Some game officials and judges do not want to get involved either. Poaching can attract some nasty characters who are also doing other activities like cooking meth, growing pot, stealing....that scares a lot of folks.

Most states now have 800 numbers to call in poaching. I write that number down and put next to my hunting tag.

I do not get worked up on minor violations that are not intuitive such as they only have on 325 inches of orange instead of 400, though. I think the letter of the law is less important than the intent when it comes to safety and harvest.

I guarantee I'll be turning in any poacher I come across or see. I have no respect for them at all. Plus, the lure of a free tag for turning one in is a big bonus for doing the right thing.

Nocked N Loaded

Jaco,

Which state(s) offer the free tag for a busted poacher?

Rooke
(you might check out a thread I started in Muley Hunting titled "NM 2B Late Archery")

I think some may wish to do as i do. If i hear of someone i know who shoots or recently shot a deer, usually for food, where i live out of season, i just get right in their face and tell them flat out that i'll turn their butt in if/when i ever hear or catch wind of it happening again. Small town and word gets around, I tell them that if they're hungry, stay outa the frigging Bar and if they're not the party type, ask me and i'll either buy them some food or give them meat from my freezer.

The point is... Maybe this crap USED to happen in years past but there are just too few animals now days and it aint'a gonna fly around here no more!!!

I've opened some eyes pretty wide and believe it to have cut back considerably on animals taken out of season in this neck of the woods!

Joey

WELL.....THE PROBLEM WITH NOT TURNING POACHERS IN IS THE CANCEROUS EFFECT WITH THEIR FRIENDS & RELATIVES. IF A GROUP OF PEOPLE SORTA LET THE LAW SLIDE A BIT & TRY TO JUSTIFY POACHING FOR FOOD....IT SOON IS ACCEPTED AS BEING ....OK. THE WILDLIFE RESOURCE (HERD) WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS.....THUS NUMBERS PLUMMET & HUNTING/DRAWING A TAG IS NO LONGER.

TURN THEM IN !!!!!.........................YD.

I've thought for a long time that the biggest problem to catching poachers is the lack of witnesses. It made me think that a forum like this would be a good spot to simply record where you were at in the woods and when.

The concept is, it's not so much of a forum with threads but more like your PM inbox, and when game warden Joe is looking for a poacher on the book cliffs that happened in Sept, there would be a list of guys on this forum that were there in september and they could answer the simple questions, like 'did yoy see a guy in a red ford, with green four-wheeler' or whatever.

You would obviously have to allow law enforcement to view these, but it think it would be great. A simple drop down menu to select the unit you were on and the date range. I.e. boulder 10/1-10/5/2009.

Whatta you guys think of that? I know I would log them if I knew there's a slight chance it MIGHT bust a poacher and didn't have to worry about everybody knowing where you're spending your time scouting/shed hunting etc...

I think the biggest problem is that poaching in the past has been a slap on the wrist and not really a big deal to someone that doesn't mind breaking the law, I think that has all changed with the conviction in WY 100,000.00 fine and 5 years in the pen for the guy that poached those two big bull a couple of years ago. When the punishment fits the crime then that will stop some of it but I dont think you will ever stop it all.
I think as sportsmen we need to start lobbying for tougher penalties for poacher especially for trophy animals. Just my $.02

Utah gives a tag to the person that turns a poacher in upon conviction, For that unit and that species.

I agree poaching needs to have much stiffer penalties.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Agreed penalities need to be stronger. Sage your approach is good but I have to ask why give them a "again" chance? Not trying to be critical I'm sure you have had an impact.

This problem is also why (not trying to start the whole debate over governors tags) I always say ok to high $ tags but there have clearly been some violations (poaching) with some pretty big names but yet they have still profited from violating the law!

Jazz

>Jaco,
>
>Which state(s) offer the free tag
>for a busted poacher?

I don't know about other states, but Utah will give you a tag for the unit and species of poached animal(s) upon conviction if you supply the information and/or evidence to convict the poacher(s).

Nocked N Loaded

Caught a guy on trail camera on my farm carrying a rifle with a headlight on at 1 A.M. Turns out he lives about a mile away(can get to my place through the woods) and the guy that takes care if my place and several locals warned me about his attitude,meanness,etc.I have found 2 poached deer on my place in the past couple of years and no doubt there were many more.

I turned his butt in and the bad news for him is-I know the assistant DA's Daddy real well(I am a lawyer myself). He is charged with Class A Misdemeanor "Trespassing With A deadly Weapon" punishable by up to a year in jail and up to a 10K fine.His offer from the State:

1)30 days in jail;
2)18 months' probation; and
3)$3500 fine

If he doesn't take it he's going to trial. Someone has since run through my gate with their truck (probably him or his family) but I don't care.Give people like this an inch and they'll take a mile.I will wear a pistol when bowhunting from now on...

I caught one on my property during turkey season. I asked to see his license. He handed them to me and I put them in my pocket. I then told him that he could pick them up at the sheriff's office.

The judge said that he had never seen an "open and shut" case like that before.....Guilty !!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom