Point of views on wolves.

U

utelkhntr

Hi guys, I am doing a paper on wolves for my final in one of my college classes. I was hoping people may share what their opinions are on wolves, do you want them back in the environment? why or why not? your point of view on hunting them, and what you would like to see happen. Include anything you want on the topic. Thanks guys.

All you really need to do is look for this topic in this General Forum and there is plenty to draw from. Some don't want any in the lower 48, while many antis think they should go uncontrolled and be allowed to propagate and flourish everywhere.

piper said they haven't affected Elk numbers in his Neck of the Woods!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

I hunt some of the most wolf infested country in the lower forty-eight. Wolves have a significant impact on ungulate populations and habits-both directly and indirectly. From my experience, and talking with other outdoorsman, the presence of wolves will reduce an elk population by 1/3 to 1/2-speaking pre-wolf/post-wolf.

Wolves aren't the blood thirsty killers that some would have you believe. The species is simply a highly evolved and efficient predator. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wolf hunting is a huge benefit to ungulate herds, and I see no indication that managing wolves as a varmit would do anything to threaten the survival or longevity of the species in the lower forty-eight.

The answer to any other questions is simply political, and depends on any given individual's preference for an outdoor experience in the west.

If they establish themselves in any state, then let the state via the public input deal with them as they see fit, but in no case should they be transplanted or "re-established" by mankind!

There's been a few Wolves wander/venture in to TARDville!

Anybody ever wonder why they don't do so well in Utah?

"""Must of been a Big Coyote!"""

Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-13 AT 05:54AM (MST)[p]There's too much emotion and not enough biology involved in wolf management. I can only speak of my experience here in Michigan but during a life time of hunting and fishing I have never ever, not one time, seen a biologist in the field. The "wolf program" is managed by guys and gals who have the education but have no experience in the field. They've never stood there before dawn and listened to wolves howling in every direction because they either had a budget meeting to attend or were restricted by some state mandated policy as to the actual hours they work. Their decisions are made by reading some paper that a grad student wrote in combination with perceived public opinion. Then the grad student gets the office down the hall....
It's never going to happen but it sure seems that wolf policies should be made from the biology involved not some referendum that was voted on by folks who have zero knowledge other than some documentary they watched on Discovery channel.

Semper Fi

Hunters and ranchers hate em, granola crunchers love them but truly know hardly anything about the species. I agree with much that has been posted before me. During my time in Wyoming I saw many wolf hunting protests and spent some time in Jackson Hole where a good congregation of "wolf enthusiasts" live. A great moment for me was in a bar in Jackson Hole. Myself and a friend were seated at the end of the bar and two ladies and a man came in and sat down (Dressed like greenies to a T, patagonia coats the whole nine yards.) Some how the conversation of wolves came up between the trio and I couldn't help but listen in on them. They said things like "Oh they are such majestic creatures" "Its so great we have them in the lower 48" BLAH BLAH BLAH I by accident found myself slipping into the conversation when one of the ladies turned around to catch me laughing over my bear. She asked for my opinion and I sure as hell gave it... Of course I pointed out things like the wolves have literally decimated the Yellowstone elk herd along with the Shiras Moose populations in Jackson Hole area and basically all the facts we all know as hunters. But what capped it off is the lady asked me what I did for a living. I smiled and shot back with "Im an aerial wolf hunter." Needless to say she told me that I should die, rot to death, get struck by lightning blah blah, blah, blah and the three left. I honestly think the delisting of wolves is the best thing that could happen. I feel its been a little to late in some areas but it has helped in places like NW Wyoming from what I've seen. I can't speak though for Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and anywhere else that has or will soon be getting them. (I pray Colorado isnt next!) I honestly don't think Wolves are right for the lower 48. There is too much population, not enough wilderness, not enough animals for them to eat without disrupting the entire ecosystem, and too much livestock. Wolves are better off in areas that are vast and undeveloped like Alaska and Canada.

Coloradoboy

About 12 years ago I was taking a college English class. I wrote a paper on the Wolf. I did tons of research and worked my tail off. I got a "F" on the paper. Written all over my paper was anti hunting comments. The next paper I wrote in that class was done in 15 minutes and about my family and I got an "A+". Be careful to know your audience. The grade might be more important then getting a point across. Good luck, DZ

My point of view as an Idaho native is that the reintroduction should never have happened. The wolf native to Idaho was the subspecies irremotus, and always existed in small numbers even into the 90's. see this article:

http://www.idahoforwildlife.com/fil...tdoorsman No 48 April 2012-Native wolves.pdf

and this article:

http://www.lobowatch.org/adminclient/Species/go

By introducing the subspecies occidentalis, we effectively killed off the remaining native wolves.

Even one of the most vocal wolf lover advocates agrees that the subspecies that we introduced is not the native wolf species for Idaho/Montana, see here:

http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com/tag/canis-lupus-irremotus/

But they don't care because to them any wolf is still a wolf and we shouldn't worry about the details. I'm not saying that irremotus was any better than occidentalis but we should have worked on helping that species before we started throwing a new species into the mix.

I agree and recognize that in Yellowstone park the elk were overpopulated and this resulted in damage to plantlife by overbrowsing. Since the introduction of wolves into Yellowstone there has been more streamside vegetation and the numbers of smaller mammals have increased and an argument could be made that certain things have improved. However outside of Yellowstone the role of predator to keep elk populations in check was occupied by humans. Wolves are unnecessary for a "balanced ecosystem" because humans took their place.

As things currently stand, elk and moose populations are declining rapidly due to wolf predation. The wolves are very near to exhausting their prey base in certain areas and perhaps then the wolves will also begin to die off. We're very close to seeing this happen in the Bitteroot valley in Montana and the selway lochsa area in Idaho. What will happen when this extends across more of their range?

I believe that wolves still do have a place in our mountains but they should be managed like any other animal and not revered as some sacred and majestic symbol of all things wild.

The fact is we can never return nature to its original state, having read many accounts of the early west from the fur trade era on to the mid 1900's it is clear that many things were different from even what we think of as the natural state. There were fewer elk and wolves than there are today in Idaho. Bighorn sheep were far more common and Bison ranged into more high ranges and other areas than people realize. In some areas, deer were less numerous than they are today. Nature is a changing thing and to try to restore it by introducing wolves or any other animal is useless because we really don't know what condition to restore it to.

Bottom line is we didn't need to introduce wolves for the purpose of restoring "balance" that may have been true in Yellowstone where hunting is not allowed, but everywhere else had human hunters to control ungulate populations. I also think that it would be impossible to kill off wolves using traditional hunting and trapping methods. Efforts to eradicate wolves in the first half ot the 20th century focused on poisoning. Wolves are here to stay but we must manage their populations and reduce their population where necessary.

GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

If they Ain't Native We'll have to Re-Nig!

Kill em all!

And lets start over!

>About 12 years ago I was
>taking a college English class.
> I wrote a paper
>on the Wolf. I
>did tons of research and
>worked my tail off.
>I got a "F" on
>the paper. Written all
>over my paper was anti
>hunting comments. The next
>paper I wrote in that
>class was done in 15
>minutes and about my family
>and I got an "A+".
> Be careful to know
>your audience. The grade
>might be more important then
>getting a point across.
>Good luck, DZ

Pretty sad that 80 plus or minus of our countries college professors are liberal minded individuals. The same thing used to get me fired up when I'd write a paper on something I truly was passionate, knowledgeable and had a strong opinion abou that I supported with facts. Only to have it bombed with a red ball point pen by the professor that showed up wearing their chacos and ate organic yogurt during the lecture, and left campus in their prius afterwards. Biting your tongue on your thoughts and beliefs for a professor who thinks differently so they will grade you better is bogus. The damage that wolves have done to the lower 48's ecosystem and economy for that matter is black and white. Theres facts! As much as the greenies want to try and look past it. The bad out weighs the good. My advice is to write about what you believe, make your opinions and support them with facts. If the professor truly down grades your paper over his/her's personal beliefs take it up with a higher power than your professor.

Coloradoboy

Wolves don't really affect the population of elk or deer according to a lot of really smart people who type smart things on their smart phones and post to smart ideas for us to read.

Wolves are pretty

Wolves are nice

Wolves are "natural"

Canadian Timberwolves are completely nice just like Canadian People

Wolves have furry furry bellies.

Wolves kind of look like they are smiling....but with really really sharp teeth

Elk and deer and moose have been reduce by 85% around Yellowstone....but not by wolves....they left because the didn't like all the cars on the roads

Wolves sometimes are black

Wolves sometimes are white

Wolves sometimes are black and white

Wolves sometimes are gray

Wolves sometimes are cuddly

Wolves ...... Oh my, I could just go on and on...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I just love snuggling with "natural wolves"
And I hope YOU DO TOOOOO! YAAAAA!

That was fun!!!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom