points needed for decent hunt?

blazingsaddle

I have 4 non res points for Nevada deer. I must not be capable of figuring out how many points it takes to obtain a deer tag in a unit that can produce 150"+ bucks. I have looked over Huntin Fool, the draw odds here, and the Nevada website numbers. None of it really makes sense to me. It seems to me that most units offer very few tags and they don't alway go to the highest point holder? Maybe I'm just making it more difficult than it needs to be, or have looked at way to many numbers the last few days?

I know my way around the other states points game that I apply for pretty well, but Nevada is killing me.
My question is: How many years of building points should I figure on to get a half way decent deer tag? I am only after a unit that produces 150"-160" bucks.
I would like to hunt it with a bow or possibly a muzzleloader. Backpacking is a plus as well.
How long on a decent antelope unit too?
I have a few units in mind, but as mentioned earlier, the numbers don't make sense to me. Any help would be great.

Four points did it for me this last year, on a early rifle tag. If your applying for the late tags, I think it will take more than that.As far as the muzzy or archery tag, I don't know. Most of the units in the state, will produce the kind of buck your looking for. Last year I drew a goat tag with four points also, in a respectable zone.
If you've got any more questions about specific zones, give me a P.M. Thanks, Doug.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-10 AT 03:42PM (MST)[p]You can draw on your first year or draw on your fifteenth year for both deer and antelope. It's just way the draw is set up here.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-10 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]The cool thing about NV is that you can draw the best with no points, and don't lose anything by putting something with better draw odds as a lower choice. Just put down choices in order from what you really want to a hunt with the best draw odds you are willing to take. If you start building up points, you get more picky with your lower choices. NV deer management is such that every unit has good mature bucks in huntable numbers. I have only been above four points in one stretch and am a nonresident.

Of course, that didn't answer your question....Or did it?

Nevada is the gambling state, so it depends on how lucky you are in drawing a low number, having points gives you more chances to draw a low number, but it still takes luck. After your lowest number is chosen, the others are thrown out, then they go down the list of your choices and if any have tags available, you get one. They square your points, which dramaticly increases your chances of a low number over time, but nothing is assured.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-10 AT 09:41AM (MST)[p] HEY BROWNIE.....I"M IN THE SAME BOAT ON NEVADA AS THAT OTHER FELLA. I HAVE STACKED POINTS (6POINTS). ON DEER ,ELK, LOPE, & DESERT BIGHORN. I AM A YEAR AWAY 2011 FROM ACTUALLY APPLYING FOR TAGS DUE TO OTHER HUNTS & KNEE SURGERY. FOR ANTELOPE, DEER, & ELK WHAT UNITS SHOULD I BE APPLYING FOR.....I NEED TO NARROW IT DOWN A BIT. HAVE NOT HUNTED NEVADA SINCE 1986 & THAT WAS JUST FOR DEER IN UNIT 17.....(I WILL HUNT WITH A RIFLE & AVOID THE LATE TAGS)........THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT & TIME........YD.

It depends on how hard you want to hunt, area 10 has the largest herd of deer in the state and produces alot of big bucks. It's also the easiest to draw. Area's around the state are harder to impossible draws for out of state hunters but hold big deer as well. I would suggest going to the NDOW website and researching the odds and success rates. Nevada is a great state to hunt with large deer and great access!

If your looking for a backpack hunt with a bow or a muzz here's what I would do. Let me just point one thing out. I have hunted NV all my life. I have never been on a bad hunt yet. No I did not kill the biggest buck every time but they are there! Every area I have hunted I've seen big buck taken out of there. I don't think theres a bad area in NV! Here are some areas you need to look into. 161-164, 111-113, 101-108, 072, 171-173, 141-145. Theres a good start. These are BACKPACKING Areas. Not the easyest places to hunt in the state.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

If your looking for that kind of buck you should focus on units that have the most tags. Later hunts or some other units with fewer tags will be tougher to draw. I had 7 for antelope, 9 for elk and 12 for deer. I have known some to draw with 1 or 2.

Jazz

The NDOW website is very helpful. You can check the amount of tags given, amount of applicants, % of draw success, Hunter success harvesting and even the points of the animals taken. I would find an area that you are interested in hunting and check it against the website.

wow-thanks for all the input- I truly got more than I figured I would.
I know that hunting is pretty good there, and many units can and do hold decent deer. I will look back to the Neveda website again with the units I had in mind. I think I was right along the same lines as you all said- but was just very uncertain.
Thanks to you all.

Hey, YD. Sorry it took so long for the reply. For deer there's several zones that seem to produce good bucks lately. Units 221-223, units 131-133, in the eastern part of the state. Unit 061-064,066-068, and 071-079 in the northern part of the state. And in the central part, units 171-173, and unit 161-164.
For the elk, seems like 111-115, 221-223, has the largest number of bulls, and the most NR tags available, a buddy of mine killed a 350 bull there this year.
The goat tag is hard to say, I killed a 75" goat in area 17 last year, heard of a 80" buck killed there this year, but not to many animals sited. I think the northwest part of the state, produces more good heads, and more animals. Give me a P.M. when the time gets closer, thanks, Doug.

Nevada, whether you have 0 points or 20, there's no quarantees. Some people like it,(the ones with few points), and some don't(the ones with lots of points and still can't draw)(ME). Anyway it's like true legal gambling. Throw your $148 dollars in a year, and spin the wheel. And Good LUCK!!!!!!

Keep your head up. My son drew 161-164 the first year applying, fifth choice. Me....nothing yet for three years after him telling me to get in. non-res.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-10 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]Saddles, you got some great info already. The Unit 10 (101-108) suggestion is almost a guarentee with 4 PPs for archery, muzzy, and early rifle. Late rifle and archery are lots tougher draws.

Like it was said, put in for long draw odds for your first couple of choices and then realistic odds for your last couple.

I drew an antelope tag (32, 34, 35) in "08" with 5 PPs. I drew a muzzy elk tag this year with 6 PPs. I was lucky both times. Both hunts were my first choices too.

Gonna draw a sheep tag this year with 7PPs :)

And you are doin yourself a disservice if you aren't applying for elk too. You're already buyin the license so for $20 more you can get a elk point or tag. The $1,200.00 price may startle you but you can PP only if you can't afford it this year. In 30+ elk hunts, it was by far the most excitin one. I didn't want to pull the trigger cause I didn't want it to end.

Every unit in this state will have the bucks you are looking for! you guys with more than 4 or 5 points for deer have wasted a lot of time and $$$. you could have drawn a couple times in 10 years. your not going to kill anything with 12 points you cant kill with 5.

NVMDF

Not sure I agree with that one. I had 12 pts. this year. Don't think I was wasting anything I just didn't draw in other units. Pretty happy with the 190 typical I killed!

Jazz

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-10 AT 11:10PM (MST)[p]In "04" I grew the late Rubys archery with a few points. (2-3) In "05" I drew the early rifle with no points. 9 points and no tag in the Rubys????? Wanna share em???

Jazz What he means is you can hunt a lot more units and have a few chances at killing a 150 to 190 buck by putting in for lesser known un its or diffrent choice of weapons.I drew buck tags in nevada 4 years straight buy getting leftover resident archery tags I even hunted the unit you got your 190 buck in with a leftover resident archery tag I drew in the second round.I have seen at least 200 to 250 bucks in those 4 years but know I am doing what you probably do I have 2 points and am hunting colarado and other states and holding out for a gun tag or muzzy tag.The old saying goes you cant kill a big buck if you dont hunt, after I draw the next tag in nevada I will go back to my stratagey of getting a tag every year if i no matter what unit it is.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom