Points vs. Vouchers

CPAjeff

I am very fortunate to have a wonderful, progressing career that has enabled me with the means to start hunting a lot more. As a nonresident, I am very interested in hunting Colorado for deer and elk and my question is ... is it worth spending time building points for deer and elk or can a person purchase quality landowner vouchers every year (chance at a 160+ deer and 280+ elk)?

If you have the means, do both! You can build points and go hunting every year. Your goals are reasonable too, so you have lots of options.

If you really have the means, buy me one too :)

Agreed. Do both if you can. When vouchers first came about my buddy and I jumped right on it and found landowners, got them into the program and have been rewarded a few times for the efforts. It's much tougher now to find vouchers at what I consider a reasonable price. But, I have higher expectations and small budget.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

Thanks for the responses!

What type of vouchers could $4k for deer and $6k for elk get a guy? That would be the very max that I would be willing to pay. Are there vouchers where a guy could either backpack back in or take horses back in?

As you can tell, I need a "Hunting in Colorado for Dummies" book!

If you Google Colorado Landowner Vouchers you will come up with what the people on here affectionately refer to as "Tag Pimps".

It's too early for them to have listings of the tags they will have available this year but you could call them and tell them what you are looking for and they could give you some idea of what to be considering based on the tags they sold last year.

>If you Google Colorado Landowner Vouchers
>you will come up with
>what the people on here
>affectionately refer to as "Tag
>Pimps".
>
>It's too early for them to
>have listings of the tags
>they will have available this
>year but you could call
>them and tell them what
>you are looking for and
>they could give you some
>idea of what to be
>considering based on the tags
>they sold last year.

Thanks!

Be careful just buying vouchers from anyone. The rules are very strict and if you don't do it right you will end up with an invalid tag. If you are serious about this I would make a call to CDOW to learn the rules. I believe a few "tag Pimps" were selling tags illegally last year. Make sure you don't end up on the wrong side of a bad deal. Also, Craigslist and other local advertising are good ways to pick up tags directly from landowners. The large landowners that always get good tags have a bunch of folks already in line for tags so they are not that easy to defund a quality deer tag anymore on the open market. Last year I saw very few tags anywhere for sale. Good luck,

Rich

^^^^ to add onto that, make sure that LO tag is unit wide. Some landowners really don't have a clue about what they draw.

Another question, are vouchers weapon specific? I would love to do some backcountry muzzleloader deer and elk hunts - are these types of tags hard to get through the regular drawing?

Yes. They are weapon and season specific. The only catch is that for vouchers to be available in a unit all of the hunts have to be drawn, not OTC. An example of this is 53 elk has 1st and 4th season are draws and 2nd and 3rd are OTC. So no vouchers are available for elk at all, even is 1st or 4th. So there are fewer elk vouchers out there than deer. 61 and 40 elk seem to have the vouchers available for sale. The vouchers for deer are good for the season only. Archery are the cheapest followed by muzzy, then 2nd,3rd and 4th.

Rich

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom