sagebrush

Very Active Member
Here's a question for a DFG expert. This year we moved to AZ, so we'll be applying as NR. How do I ensure my points will be tied to my application? When I look up my points on the website, I enter my CDL. When I send in my applications this year, my driver license number will be from AZ. I want to be the one NR that draws a sheep or elk tag.

My guess would be that you could either change your DL number in the states system or those points would not be transferable from resident to non resident status. Just a guess though. Good luck with it.

Steve

Don't want to wreck your day but, your points are NOT able to be used if you are no longer a resident.

Without a valid CDL, you are considered a nonresident and you have to apply on non resident status. Sorry.

I'd rather hunt in AZ anyway.....

Before you get all bummed out, i'd put in a call to someone at DFG with exact knowledge of the regulation in your concern. Though it may be as Nickman said and "things" are not always fair, it might still work out for you. I generally find the F&G more than willing to help. Sometimes their hands are tied and others are just putting in time but the majority will help you if they can.

Thinking in type here, can't your hunter ID be your social security # instead of Calif Drivers lic #?

Let us know how this pans out for you as we've been asked similar questions in the past and it would be good to be better informed.

Joey

There is no diffrence in resident or noresident points that I know of so I think you will be ok.But i would make the call to DF&G to be sure.

In case anyone is interested, I searched through the law and found the answer.

Resident or NR makes no difference, points are points. To change your identification number you must notify the License and Revenue Branch in writing prior to applying for a tag.

After leaving Calif you have to specifically request your points be transferred to NR points under a new identification number. When I left I emailed the license bureau my request. They mailed me letter granting my request, to retain the points I had as a resident. Had to do the same in my new home state and it was the same process.

What if you buy a lifetime license with Deer tags before you leave CA? Are you still considered a NR? I'm going to purchase one before we move and from what I have been told, I will get my Deer tags and Duck Stamp with the license evry year. No extra NR fees if I have that license.

This is how it works litch if you move out of state.The life time license is a resident license so if you move to nevada and apply you will need to apply as a non resident in nevada even though you meet the resident requirments for a nevada resident.This happend to some I knows friend he had the cali life time license moved to nevada applied for the nevada resident desert sheep tag and drew he didnt think nothing of it.Later on the department of wildlife did some kind of check on him and found out he had the cali lifetime cited him for applying as a resident.Many dollars in lawyer fees later he got to keep the sheep tag but paid the NR price for it.If I were you I would check with that states rules be fore you pay the money you dont want to be paying for non resident tags in the state you end up living in that would be more expensive.

>This is how it works litch
>if you move out of
>state.The life time license is
>a resident license so if
>you move to nevada and
>apply you will need to
>apply as a non resident
>in nevada even though you
>meet the resident requirments for
>a nevada resident.This happend to
>some I knows friend he
>had the cali life time
>license moved to nevada applied
>for the nevada resident desert
>sheep tag and drew he
>didnt think nothing of it.Later
>on the department of wildlife
>did some kind of check
>on him and found out
>he had the cali lifetime
>cited him for applying as
>a resident.Many dollars in lawyer
>fees later he got to
>keep the sheep tag but
>paid the NR price for
>it.If I were you I
>would check with that states
>rules be fore you pay
>the money you dont want
>to be paying for non
>resident tags in the state
>you end up living in
>that would be more expensive.
>

I just called NDOW to confirm what you just explained and they said that if I lived in Nevada, even with the lifetime license from CA, I was still considered a resident of Nevada and could apply that way.
I appreciate your trying to help and I am sure something occured, but it doesn't sound like it applies to me. I do know that even if you have a CA lifetime license and you move out of state, you are now considered a NR when applying for Elk and Sheep in CA, but I was not sure about Deer.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-09 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p]The guy that told me about his friend seemd prety serious about it That the guy spent alot of time in court and had to spend alot of money.But if what they told you is true that is good for everybody that has the life time license.I will think about buying one for my self now.My friend may have missed something like the guy didnt meet the 6 months of living in nevada to be a resident or something also.

You need to call the License and Revenue Branch at Fish and Game and they will get your new information. You can apply as a non-resident and still keep your old points. Resident or non-resident does not matter. All the points are just those points. Only one non-resident can get an elk or antelope tag so if you get a good random number you get the tag. If all the non-residents get lousy random numbers then the tags go to residnets, no guaranteed non-resident tag. The license branch can answer all the questions on lifetime license non-resident stuff. Please call them at 916 928-8322. You should be good.

Joe

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-09 AT 12:17PM (MST)[p]don't listen to any one hear call......resi and non-resi same pool lic... cost more ! no non-resi alotment on tags! points are yours you paid for them! resi or non same!
Rackmaster

496fab8546749f27.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom