Poll on Hunting

BaldBeaver

I am taking a poll on hunting Mule deer here in Nevada. Please take the time to send your vote.

Would you prefer to have more hunting opportunities, which could mean less quality and quantity of deer?

Or would you prefer to have your odds recuded slightly and a healthier larger deer herd?

And a seperate poll. if you were unsuccessful in drawing a tag, would you be willing to pay a seperate fee to get a doe tag?

Please be honest this information is going to be put in front of people who make decisions.
~BaldBeaver

I would prefer to have slightly lower odds and a healthier larger deer herd. I believe most NV sportsmen want a higher quality/quantity herd then lower quality/quantity herd. I have no problem waiting 3,4,5 years if it means i get a chance at a quality buck.

At this time i would not pay a seperate fee for a doe tag, i believe that right now with the herds in the shape they are there shouldn't be any doe hunts happening.

I wouldnt change a thing. Nevada is in my opinion the best state. I would not want a doe tag. Only thing I Would change is in some of our more premium units where there are less than ten deer tags, there are still 2 non res tags. No other state does that, it should be 10% so if there are only 5 or 6 res tags, should be 0 non res. Having two is ridiculous to me. They really messed up when they made that bill where it says (at least for deer) that if there is one non res tag there has to be two, why? That is retarded

I too think Nevada already does a pretty good job with what they have considering it is the most arid state in the country. Don't change a thing.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-12 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-12 AT 09:46?PM (MST)

I can respect your views on doe harvest, however, I would like to point out that there is a very strong possibility that the shape the deer herds are in can partially be attributed to the fact that hey have not been harvesting does. Without going into great detail, fawn survival rates are severely affected by too many does in one area. I intend to publish a paper that goes into the current state of the Mule Deer across the West. I have difficulties undestanding why principles in whitetail management are not used in mule deer management. I realize the differences between the two, however, I also recognize the drastic similarities.
~BaldBeaver

It may be true that in SOME areas there are too many does (although i haven't found that area yet). I don't believe that is the case in MOST areas. This last year seemed to me that there was a huge winter kill as i hunted the same area at the same time this year as last and saw probably 25% of the deer numbers compared to last year. Also hunted some different areas that i have not hunted in quite a few years and the deer numbers were way off from that few years ago, and even difficult to find deer some days.
In my opinion compareing mule deer to whitetail management would at best be difficult. Even if they are similar they are a different breed altogether.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-12 AT 10:49PM (MST)[p]They are a different breed altogether, however, they breed and feed on the same type of cycles. The breeding period, gestation, feeding are all the same. The affect of forage on a does ability to reproduce and the quality of her milk for her offspring are vitals to a fawns survival rate. This factor is strongly by the amount of Does in a particular area. I could go into great detail right now, however, I would much rather send you a copy of my paper when I am finished with it. I respect your opinion and your views of what you see in the field, and I am by no means saying that this is the answer for nevada. I feel the biologists need to conduct much better studies on the overall deer population and ratios. The better the understanding that we have on that the easier it would be to set up effective harvest regulations for given areas throughout the state.
~BaldBeaver

"Would you prefer to have more hunting opportunities, which could mean less quality and quantity of deer?"........NO, NO, and again NO! I can go to Utah and hunt if that is what I am looking for. The Units in Nevada that I hunt seem to be to doing fine the way they are currently managed, all things considered.

"if you were unsuccessful in drawing a tag, would you be willing to pay a seperate fee to get a doe tag?"........Yes, but only if the science was there to support the need for the tags. There was a time when the herds were large and doe tags were plentiful, but that was a long time ago.

Whitetail management does work. I believe that doe hunting should be offered as a two for one for hunters drawing a tag for a particular unit. Let me explain: Instead of offering 1000 buck tags for a unit cut it down to 600 and offer all the hunters a chance to take a doe at the same time as they are hunting bucks. This way, we would get the same amount of deer kill, and accomplish the same thing. The bad is, 400 hunters are out tags. Most of the places that we hunt in Nevada are far from home. I myself, would not apply for a doe tag only. Also, allow all youth hunters the chance at taking a buck and a doe. I would also like to see coyotes with a bounty on them. They take more deer than people realize. My 2 cents.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-12 AT 06:24AM (MST)[p]The Jr hunters can take either sex now but not both. For sure you won't ever get the buck hunters to like cutting back buck tags and replaceing with doe tags.
Coyotes are a problem, i've seen more of them in recent years then years past and yes they do take alot of deer.

BaldBeaver didn't mean or want to hijack your post. I would love to see your write up when your done with it...thanks!

I'd rather have quality deer herds. At this time I do not believe in hunting does but have an open mind and would love to read your paper Baldbeaver. I remember several years ago Nevada killed hundreds of does in both areas 6 and 10. Would like to see some studies of how it hurt or helped us.
Nevada and Colorado is known throughout the West as being the two Western states that do a great job at managing thier game. Although I don't totally agree that Nevada does a great job I do agree that they do a decent job. Nevada is starting to follow other states methods of selling more tags to raise money. This mindset of putting money before fair chance really hurts my opinion of the future of Nevada hunting. I don't want to see Nevada turn into another Utah. Leave Nevada the way it is or manage for better quality and leave politics and money out of it. fatrooster.

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-12
>AT 06:24?AM (MST)

>
>The Jr hunters can take either
>sex now but not both.
>For sure you won't ever
>get the buck hunters to
>like cutting back buck tags
>and replaceing with doe tags.
>
> Coyotes are a problem, i've
>seen more of them in
>recent years then years past
>and yes they do take
>alot of deer.
>
> BaldBeaver didn't mean or want
>to hijack your post. I
>would love to see your
>write up when your done
>with it...thanks!

Please do not consider it a thread Hijack,this is the type of coversation I am looking for. When people speak freely about their ideas, options present themselves. I am simply trying to start bringing to light the possibility that while Nevada is doing a fantastic job, that there is always room for improvement. I will have my paper done sometime in the next 3 weeks. I have numerous papers due for school which take precedence ove rpersonal papers. I will be glad to post it for review and criticism when I am finished.

~BaldBeaver

Question #1. Manage deer heard for health and quality. While I really like more opportunity, I think heard health is more important in the long run.

Question #2. I personally am not interested in hunting does, but would support a doe hunt if it will imporve the heard.

Any study of deer health should look at sage brush health and the effects of it getting older and less vibrant.

I really like the system nevada has it is fair to all no points or 20

I personally doubt I would buy a doe tag but if there was an affordable option for non resident youth to hunt antlerless I would get behind that

Which ever one is better for the state and the big game populations I wouldn't care. I wouldn't buy a doe tag because I don't see a real need to shoot a doe. Where I hunt muleys in august there are hardly any does and about 20-40 bucks that are mature and healthy.

+1 on leave it alone. I would rather see more predator control, habitat improvement, and elimination of non-native species (burros and horses).

I like only being able to draw a deer tag in Nevada every 5 or 6 years. It is a hunt I always enjoy because the herd is not over hunted. I hope to be hunting Nevada this year.

>+1 on leave it alone. I
>would rather see more predator
>control, habitat improvement, and elimination
>of non-native species (burros and
>horses).

Agreed!

BB said, "Please be honest this information is going to be put in front of people who make decisions.
~BaldBeaver"

Yes on bigger and better quality herds even if the wait is longer.
Absolutely not on the Doe hunts unless they are way over habitat holding capacity.

Now it's your time to be honest. Are you in any way connected or a member of any states chapter of SFW?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Because i've killed my best bucks in Nevada and plan to hunt there again in the future. That, and i read a lot, a lot of what is/has been going on with SFW and now "other" states.

It is a fair Question, easy to deny or confirm. I'd like a "honest" answer.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Fair enough, sounds like we see things alike, as do most sportsman I know and talk to here in Nevada. I can see how Beavers questions could raise an eyebrow as to the intent, I guess I just automatically assume that it is for a noble and agreeable purpose. I think it's sad that SFW has us all asking each other questions that at one time did not seem necessary. Hopefully there will come a day when this debacle is behind us.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-12 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]BB, Thank You for your answer.

Yes it is sad times when it is necessary to pick and choose who, among our own hunting community, to put our trust.

Joey

Quality!!!! And Sagebrush as got it right! habitat improvement is a must, and elimination of non-native species Damn burros and horses are causing to much damage to the land. case in point The Sheldon Range.

Without a doubt less tags the better. I think NDOW does a great job compared to other states "Utah". You can find good deer in every unit if you hunt hard and do your HW. I personally love the minimal tags given since i'm mainly an archery hunter. I draw a tag pretty much every year since im not afraid of the rubies and getting off the roads ;)

Leave NV alone. Why would you ruin perfection. All we can hope for is that all other states follow suit and enact the same draw process.

>Yes to quality and killing horses.
>
>
>I think Nevada is doing it
>right. I wish BLM would
>thin the horses.

EP - BLM is trying, but everytime they look at a horse wrong there is some granola cruching jack wagon with a camera crying to the media. As it stands now, roughly half their yearly horse & burro budget is spent housing horses that have no place to go.

This is about more than just the draw process. Everyone states leave it as it is, but last year they reduced tags considerably, Should it remain that way or go back to 2 years ago numbers? I am simply trying to gauge where people are at in regards of our deer herds current status?
~BaldBeaver

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-12 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]>This is about more than just
>the draw process. Everyone states
>leave it as it is,
>but last year they reduced
>tags considerably, Should it remain
>that way or go back
>to 2 years ago numbers?
>I am simply trying to
>gauge where people are at
>in regards of our deer
>herds current status?
>~BaldBeaver

The Wildlife Commission did that against the will of the biologists recommended quotas. From what I understand, the NDOW was pretty hot about what happened. It had nothing to do with management, it was all political. The board members are appointed by the Governor and the Governor should take the heat for this one.

>The Wildlife Commission did that against
>the will of the biologists
>recommended quotas. From what I
>understand, the NDOW was pretty
>hot about what happened. It
>had nothing to do with
>management, it was all political.
>The board members are appointed
>by the Governor and the
>Governor should take the heat
>for this one.

I am fully aware of this fact, but does anyone like having those numbers lowered?

~BaldBeaver

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-12 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p]Beaver ? Is this an issue of differing ?herd objectives? between the commission and the biologists or is it an economic issue?

I guess it wouldn't be economic if they cut the tags.

Well, I never intended for this to be specifically related to just one thing. Trying to gauge everyones overall opinion of Nevada deer herd. More informative for me. Likes, dislikes, the system, the biologist, the commission. Maybe I should have never asked the question.
~BaldBeaver

BB.....i would do it, but since your getting so many different answers about different things, in order to keep this question maybe a little more to what your asking.....why dont you go ahead and start another post about what we think is WRONG with NV. That would also give you more information for another/additional paper to write.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom